[MediaWiki-l] Export large site Question

[MediaWiki-l] Export large site Question

John Foster-2
I have a large site that I've been developing on my server in-house. I
want to move the entire site to a secure hosted server off-site. I want
to know what is the best way to do this. I DO NOT want to use the same
tables that are in my current wiki, as there are/seem to be some issues
with the table being corrupted. The site runs, but is VERY slow, & I'm
certain it's not the computer its on. I likely screwed up the tables
when I upgraded the mediawiki. In the past Ive just exported the
database to the new / upgraded wiki. several times, that has worked
fine. But, I want only the actual page content to be exported. I did
that & it generated a 256.5 mb xml file. That does not upload, using the
import function. Any tips are appreciated.
Thanks
John

Re: Export large site Question

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 05/31/2013 01:07 PM, John W. Foster wrote:
> I did
> that & it generated a 256.5 mb xml file. That does not upload, using the
> import function.

The dumps can be imported using maintenace/importDump.php  (see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_XML_dumps#Using_importDump.php.2C_if_you_have_shell_access).

--
http://hexmode.com/

Love alone reveals the true shape of the universe.
     -- "Everywhere Present", Stephen Freeman

Re: Export large site Question

Steve VanSlyck
Does this procedure export / import images?

"Mark A. Hershberger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 05/31/2013 01:07 PM, John W. Foster wrote:
>> I did
>> that & it generated a 256.5 mb xml file. That does not upload, using
>the
>> import function.
>
>The dumps can be imported using maintenace/importDump.php  (see
>https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_XML_dumps#Using_importDump.php.2C_if_you_have_shell_access).
>

>--
>http://hexmode.com/
>
>Love alone reveals the true shape of the universe.
>     -- "Everywhere Present", Stephen Freeman

Re: Export large site Question

Dave Humphrey
How are you exporting and importing the database? In the past I've
successfully used "mysqldump" to export and then import directly via the
command line "mysql" with a wiki database that exceeds 10GB. The commands
to do this are basically:

    mysqldump --opt -u user -p wikidb > file.sql

    mysql -u user -p newwikidb < file.sql

There are lots of resources explaining/detailing the commands if you need
more information. Also remember to copy the image directory to the new
wiki.

On 31 May 2013 13:07, John W. Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a large site that I've been developing on my server in-house. I
> want to move the entire site to a secure hosted server off-site. I want
> to know what is the best way to do this. I DO NOT want to use the same
> tables that are in my current wiki, as there are/seem to be some issues
> with the table being corrupted. The site runs, but is VERY slow, & I'm
> certain it's not the computer its on. I likely screwed up the tables
> when I upgraded the mediawiki. In the past Ive just exported the
> database to the new / upgraded wiki. several times, that has worked
> fine. But, I want only the actual page content to be exported. I did
> that & it generated a 256.5 mb xml file. That does not upload, using the
> import function. Any tips are appreciated.
> Thanks
> John

Dave Humphrey -- [hidden email]
Founder/Server Admin of the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages -- www.uesp.net

Re: Export large site Question

John Foster

There are image links but no images. All wiki text.

On Fri, 2013-05-31 at 14:24 -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:

> On 05/31/2013 01:07 PM, John W. Foster wrote:
> > I did
> > that & it generated a 256.5 mb xml file. That does not upload, using the
> > import function.
>
> The dumps can be imported using maintenace/importDump.php  (see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Importing_XML_dumps#Using_importDump.php.2C_if_you_have_shell_access).

Ah! I will try that. I was trying to use the import function from the
mediawiki Special pages area. Thanks!!

Re: Export large site Question

John Foster
Yes I've done this before as well. And it worked for me. However: this
time I don't want to use the same data base. I've reconfigured the wiki
to perform differently as this will run on a remote site, that I don't
have "shell access" so what I'm trying to do is port it to the exact
same system on my server. Rebuild it using the new database structure;
then upload it to the new mediawiki off-site server. That is why I want
to use the .xml dump.
Thanks!