[MediaWiki-l] File Upload Page - I need to write a custom version of it

[MediaWiki-l] File Upload Page - I need to write a custom version of it

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Greetings everybody,

I am the administrator of a private mediawiki installation for my
neighborhood - about 170 inhabitants.

Apparently one of the limits to adoption of the wiki is the cumbersome file
upload process. I have installed Upload Wizard and customized the licensing
options available to have the bare minimum but the multi-step process is
still criticized. Just being forced by the UI to add a description to each
file is apparently is too much.

I therefore have to write our very own, supersimplified upload page.

I'll obviously have to learn how to write Extensions and then I'll be able
to have a look at the code of the Upload Wizard for inspiration. Are there
any additional source of information on this topic that you'd recommend?

Kind regards,

Manu

Re: File Upload Page - I need to write a custom version of it

Amanda Quad
Just a thought to consider...
UploadWizard was specifically designed for Wikimedia Foundation projects, so it’s a lot more difficult to customize for personal or private enterprise use than most extensions. My advice would be to simply modify the default Special:Upload page which can done with standard MW code, although I’m not sure exactly what that code would be.
You are, of course, welcome to pursue modification of UploadWizard, but just be aware that there is a slightly simpler alternative.
— Amanda

On Sunday, March 11, 2018, 7:27 PM, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sam Wilson
I've found the MsUpload extension [1] to be great in these sorts of situations where the metadata of uploaded files isn't of primary importance.

It lets you upload files right from the editor, and upload multiple files at once. You can specify file names as you upload them, but not add anything to the files' pages.

(Don't be put off by the 'ms' in the name: it's nothing to do with Microsoft formatted files!)

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload

On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, at 7:27 AM, Emanuele D'Arrigo wrote:

> Greetings everybody,
>
> I am the administrator of a private mediawiki installation for my
> neighborhood - about 170 inhabitants.
>
> Apparently one of the limits to adoption of the wiki is the cumbersome file
> upload process. I have installed Upload Wizard and customized the licensing
> options available to have the bare minimum but the multi-step process is
> still criticized. Just being forced by the UI to add a description to each
> file is apparently is too much.
>
> I therefore have to write our very own, supersimplified upload page.
>
> I'll obviously have to learn how to write Extensions and then I'll be able
> to have a look at the code of the Upload Wizard for inspiration. Are there
> any additional source of information on this topic that you'd recommend?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Manu

Re: File Upload Page - I need to write a custom version of it

Stephan Gambke-3
I had a similar requirement ("Just upload the darn thing.") and wrote SimpleBatchUpload ([0]).

It uses a similar approach as MsUpload, but works from its own Special page instead of the editor from.
It presents a simple page with an upload button. Just drag and drop files on the button and be done.

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SimpleBatchUpload
​​
Cheers
Stephan

On 12 March 2018 2:10 AM, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ​​
>
> I've found the MsUpload extension \[1\] to be great in these sorts of situations where the metadata of uploaded files isn't of primary importance.
>
> It lets you upload files right from the editor, and upload multiple files at once. You can specify file names as you upload them, but not add anything to the files' pages.
>
> (Don't be put off by the 'ms' in the name: it's nothing to do with Microsoft formatted files!)
>
> \[1\] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MsUpload
>
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2018, at 7:27 AM, Emanuele D'Arrigo wrote:
>
> > Greetings everybody,
> >
> > I am the administrator of a private mediawiki installation for my
> >
> > neighborhood - about 170 inhabitants.
> >
> > Apparently one of the limits to adoption of the wiki is the cumbersome file
> >
> > upload process. I have installed Upload Wizard and customized the licensing
> >
> > options available to have the bare minimum but the multi-step process is
> >
> > still criticized. Just being forced by the UI to add a description to each
> >
> > file is apparently is too much.
> >
> > I therefore have to write our very own, supersimplified upload page.
> >
> > I'll obviously have to learn how to write Extensions and then I'll be able
> >
> > to have a look at the code of the Upload Wizard for inspiration. Are there
> >
> > any additional source of information on this topic that you'd recommend?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Manu
> >
> > MediaWiki-l mailing list
> >
> > To unsubscribe, go to:

> MediaWiki-l mailing list
>
> To unsubscribe, go to:

Re: File Upload Page - I need to write a custom version of it

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Thank you Amanda, Stephan and in particular Sam for your replies.

I've decided to install MsUpload due to its integration with the editor and
the possibility to upload something directly into a specific page: this is
quite a valuable feature given the broad range of computer literacy of my
users.

There seem to be some slight issues due to the interaction between the
Language Selector, MsUpload and the browser's cache perhaps, so that
switching between languages sometimes doesn't display MsUpload's features.
It also doesn't doesn't display the Wikitext/Source/Changes tabs of the
WikiEditor though, so there might be a deeper issue there. But after some
language changes and some reloading everything eventually pops up. And I
hope I'm the only person that notices it: most of my users will never
switch languages I imagine.

Again, thank you all for the suggestions. I felt I had a good excuse to
learn to write Extension but now I can procrastinate on it: yay! =D

Have a good day everybody!

Manu