[MediaWiki-l] Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

[MediaWiki-l] Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

gordonisnz
Hello, I'm the admin of a mediawiki, & have posted to an incorrect
thread & have been redirected here...

My main initial queries is/are

a) I occasionally check my wiki & see there are dozens / hundreds of
people signing up as users - but no one is creating any pages.

is there a place i can see that can check that people CAN create pages
- but they are pending / needing approval to be published ?
i'm guessing that people create new accounts but cant do anything. how
do i check ?

b) is there something i can do to force the wiki to send an email to
the admin (me) - to check that i am receiving emails. (I periodically
forget about this wiki as i'm not getting anything).

c) where do i (if i can) edit the script to use my own mailing process
instead of the default process to send emails.

--

Gordon.

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

John Doe-27
Odds are your getting hammered by spambots. If you want to test create a
new account and see if that account has any issues

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 8:39 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Odds are your getting hammered by spambots. If you want to test create a
> new account and see if that account has any issues

Duh - obvious..  i should have thought of creating a test account before.

Ok, test account created, I am now in groups:-

Member of groups: Autoconfirmed users, Users

However, i can not create any new pages or edit the main page (the
wiki just had the main/start page only).

When i go here in my admin account :-  index.php?title=Special:ListGroupRights

the group (all) and USERS can create discussion pages, and Create
pages (which are not discussion pages).

the group Autoconfirmed users can Edit semi-protected pages.

If i can create pages, why cant i create any pages in my test account ?

Also - When this is fixed, is there a way to

a) edit the wiki script to use my own email system ?
b) send an email to ALL users to re-check their accounts & see their
new settings...

i've got a php script that sends emails via SMTP / passwords. if i can
direct the wiki emails via that. it will be good.

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, I'm the admin of a mediawiki, & have posted to an incorrect
> > thread & have been redirected here...
> >

> > My main initial queries is/are
> >
> > a) I occasionally check my wiki & see there are dozens / hundreds of
> > people signing up as users - but no one is creating any pages.
> >
> > is there a place i can see that can check that people CAN create pages
> > - but they are pending / needing approval to be published ?
> > i'm guessing that people create new accounts but cant do anything. how
> > do i check ?
> >
> > b) is there something i can do to force the wiki to send an email to
> > the admin (me) - to check that i am receiving emails. (I periodically
> > forget about this wiki as i'm not getting anything).
> >
> > c) where do i (if i can) edit the script to use my own mailing process
> > instead of the default process to send emails.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Gordon.

Gordon.

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

John Doe-27
When you edit with the test account what error message do you get?

There is a setting for localsettings.php for using an existing email
server. Give me a minute to look that up.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:41 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 8:39 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Odds are your getting hammered by spambots. If you want to test create a
> > new account and see if that account has any issues
> >

> Duh - obvious..  i should have thought of creating a test account before.
>
> Ok, test account created, I am now in groups:-
>
> Member of groups: Autoconfirmed users, Users
>
> However, i can not create any new pages or edit the main page (the
> wiki just had the main/start page only).
>
> When i go here in my admin account :-
> index.php?title=Special:ListGroupRights
>
> the group (all) and USERS can create discussion pages, and Create
> pages (which are not discussion pages).
>
> the group Autoconfirmed users can Edit semi-protected pages.
>
> If i can create pages, why cant i create any pages in my test account ?
>

> Also - When this is fixed, is there a way to
>
> a) edit the wiki script to use my own email system ?
> b) send an email to ALL users to re-check their accounts & see their
> new settings...
>
> i've got a php script that sends emails via SMTP / passwords. if i can
> direct the wiki emails via that. it will be good.

> > On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, I'm the admin of a mediawiki, & have posted to an incorrect
> > > thread & have been redirected here...
> > >

> > > My main initial queries is/are
> > >
> > > a) I occasionally check my wiki & see there are dozens / hundreds of
> > > people signing up as users - but no one is creating any pages.
> > >
> > > is there a place i can see that can check that people CAN create pages
> > > - but they are pending / needing approval to be published ?
> > > i'm guessing that people create new accounts but cant do anything. how
> > > do i check ?
> > >
> > > b) is there something i can do to force the wiki to send an email to
> > > the admin (me) - to check that i am receiving emails. (I periodically
> > > forget about this wiki as i'm not getting anything).
> > >
> > > c) where do i (if i can) edit the script to use my own mailing process
> > > instead of the default process to send emails.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Gordon.

> Gordon.

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

John Doe-27
See

https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 10:56 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you edit with the test account what error message do you get?

No edit, no new-page creation,  no error..

The options i get in the top right (test account) are:  Page,
Discussion, View source, History, Watch

A new user joining the wiki has no ability to edit / change anything.
( http://ancientaliens.kwister.com )

If a person can add/change something  - that will be good (though
moderation /approval of changes will be good to prevent spams)

> There is a setting for localsettings.php for using an existing email
> server. Give me a minute to look that up.

> https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSMTP

is there a way to use my own routine - Instead of the above SMTP ?

include_once("/home/users/PATHNAME/usr/functions/smtp-email.class.php");
smtp_prepare_mail ($email, "[hidden email]", "Subject", $text);

this saves a txt file with all the information, & ive got a regular
cron-job to send the email out. (if theres a bulk issue of emails, it
sends them as a steady stream over time, instead of all at once)...

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

John Doe-27
You are going to kick yourself, users don't have the "edit" user right. If
you want to reconfigure the email process you will probably need to write
your own extension to do so. I would really recommend against that.

Why do you want a custom email process?

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You are going to kick yourself, users don't have the "edit" user right.

So - If i want people to add new content - How do they if they cant
edit or add pages (with approval of any changes).

Whats the point in a wiki having users at all ?

If i want to promote someone as trusted or another level, i need to
know (in advance) that they can edit/add appropriate content instead
of spam.

> If you want to reconfigure the email process you will probably need to write
> your own extension to do so. I would really recommend against that.
>
> Why do you want a custom email process?

so that it doesn't overload my email limits - if theres lots of activity.

I'll do more research.

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

John Doe-27
When one is combating spam there is no magic bullet. A overview of spam
management can be found at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam.

For basics I would implement a captcha system, I would recommend the
following extensions: checkuser, AbuseFilter, Nuke, PageTriage, and
SpamBlacklist, For your request to manually review changes I would suggest
FlaggedRevs. You could also implement something similar to what
en.wikipedia does, and create a draft namespace and require all content to
be created there and moved to the article namespace upon review.

Re: Fwd: Hello. New user - which mailing list should i use ?

Katharina Wolkwitz
Hi Gordon,

Am 08.06.2018 um 02:00 schrieb [hidden email]:
> On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:47 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You are going to kick yourself, users don't have the "edit" user right.
>
> So - If i want people to add new content - How do they if they cant
> edit or add pages (with approval of any changes). >
> Whats the point in a wiki having users at all ?

I'm one of your new users - I just added a new account for testing. But I'm
entitled to agree with John, most of those Users on the very long list - though
having real sounding names - will be spambots out to fill up your nice new wiki
with trash your really do not want.

That's why the default setting in the config-file is so that normal users cannot
edit pages.

Either they can be manually approved by an admin and moved/added to another
group with edit rights (like editors) or you can also insert an approval level
bevor releasing the articles "into the open".

As you've just started with your wiki I'd simply recommend to delete the whole
installation (including all of those definitly unwanted users), set up again
with spam-safety-measures (see the link John sent) in place _before_ opening the
wiki to the world.

Good luck! :-)

Kate