[MediaWiki-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

[MediaWiki-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

David Gerard-2

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

WJhonson
I would say ... yes... possibly.
My own install has had an indexing issue for some time, and I just don't find myself with enough time to figure out how to fix it.
So the internal search no longer works.
Probably, or possibly moot for me, as Google seems to still work.
But still.
Make it cheap enough and I'd say yes.

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

Andre Polykanine
Hi everyone,
Agreed with Brion completely.
Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
think.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

Nikolas Everett
Atlassian sells a Confluence in the cloud at a per seat cost.
VisualEditor would make MediaWiki a decent competitor from the
perspective of the corporate types I've seen involved in such
purchasing decisions.  I'm not sure how much traction it'd have but
there is something to say for MediaWiki being the wiki that everyone
is used to.

Nik

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Andre Polykanine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> Agreed with Brion completely.
> Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
> ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
> domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
> think.
>

> --
> With best regards from Ukraine,
> Andre
> Skype: Francophile
> My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

Mlpearc
This would be interesting for my little farm, I have the time to put into
it but not the needed "know how" to fix issues, install some extensions
etc, but as Wjhonson states it would have to be adorable to those users.

*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Atlassian sells a Confluence in the cloud at a per seat cost.
> VisualEditor would make MediaWiki a decent competitor from the
> perspective of the corporate types I've seen involved in such
> purchasing decisions.  I'm not sure how much traction it'd have but
> there is something to say for MediaWiki being the wiki that everyone
> is used to.
>
> Nik
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Andre Polykanine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Agreed with Brion completely.
> > Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
> > ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
> > domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
> > think.
> >

> > --
> > With best regards from Ukraine,
> > Andre
> > Skype: Francophile
> > My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> > Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

Ed Swing-2
There is always Wikia. They're a few versions behind, but host a TON of wikis already. You can even have them enable various extensions (like Semantic Bundle).

This would be interesting for my little farm, I have the time to put into
it but not the needed "know how" to fix issues, install some extensions
etc, but as Wjhonson states it would have to be adorable to those users.

*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Atlassian sells a Confluence in the cloud at a per seat cost.
> VisualEditor would make MediaWiki a decent competitor from the
> perspective of the corporate types I've seen involved in such
> purchasing decisions.  I'm not sure how much traction it'd have but
> there is something to say for MediaWiki being the wiki that everyone
> is used to.
>
> Nik
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Andre Polykanine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Agreed with Brion completely.
> > Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
> > ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
> > domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
> > think.
> >

> > --
> > With best regards from Ukraine,
> > Andre
> > Skype: Francophile
> > My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> > Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

I was always under the impression that Wikia *approves* sites.
You can't just have them host anything you want, they have to agree to it.
Is that not the case?
Also would you know what they charge?

There is always Wikia. They're a few versions behind, but host a TON of wikis
already. You can even have them enable various extensions (like Semantic
Bundle).

This would be interesting for my little farm, I have the time to put into
it but not the needed "know how" to fix issues, install some extensions
etc, but as Wjhonson states it would have to be adorable to those users.

*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Atlassian sells a Confluence in the cloud at a per seat cost.
> VisualEditor would make MediaWiki a decent competitor from the
> perspective of the corporate types I've seen involved in such
> purchasing decisions.  I'm not sure how much traction it'd have but
> there is something to say for MediaWiki being the wiki that everyone
> is used to.
>
> Nik
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Andre Polykanine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Agreed with Brion completely.
> > Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
> > ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
> > domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
> > think.
> >

> > --
> > With best regards from Ukraine,
> > Andre
> > Skype: Francophile
> > My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> > Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

Arcane 21
Wikia allows anyone to create a wiki by simply following a simple form and filling in some basic information. Once that's done, you can start working on your new wiki.

Their own rules allow the hosting of anything except adult content (i.e. - pornographic) like most other wiki services. They are completely ad supported, so there is no cost to host a wiki.

They will install several extensions by request, including Semantic MediaWiki and several extensions (albeit somewhat older versions), but they only have Monobook as the other skin besides the Oasis skin, and they otherwise don't allow much in the way of customization, especially anything that might interfere with the placement of ads on a site wide basis.

> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:31:46 -0400
> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?
>
> I was always under the impression that Wikia *approves* sites.
> You can't just have them host anything you want, they have to agree to it.
> Is that not the case?
> Also would you know what they charge?

Sorry, if this is about Wikia, then count me out.

*

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Arcane 21 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikia allows anyone to create a wiki by simply following a simple form and
> filling in some basic information. Once that's done, you can start working
> on your new wiki.
>
> Their own rules allow the hosting of anything except adult content (i.e. -
> pornographic) like most other wiki services. They are completely ad
> supported, so there is no cost to host a wiki.
>
> They will install several extensions by request, including Semantic
> MediaWiki and several extensions (albeit somewhat older versions), but they
> only have Monobook as the other skin besides the Oasis skin, and they
> otherwise don't allow much in the way of customization, especially anything
> that might interfere with the placement of ads on a site wide basis.
>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > From: [hidden email]
> > Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:31:46 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported
> MediaWiki hosting service?
> >
> > I was always under the impression that Wikia *approves* sites.
> > You can't just have them host anything you want, they have to agree to
> it.
> > Is that not the case?
> > Also would you know what they charge?

Fred Bauder-2
> Sorry, if this is about Wikia, then count me out.
>
> *
> Mlpearc*
> Founder
> Everything Food & Drink.org

Wikia doesn't host independent wikis and has modified software, to say
nothing of ads that often have nothing to do with the page they are found
on. On water wiki, bottled water seems to be a favorite.

Fred

Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Officially supported MediaWiki hosting service?

Andre Polykanine
Hello Ed,

Yes, but their ads are really annoying.

--
With best regards from Ukraine,
Andre
Skype: Francophile
My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

      There is always Wikia. They're a few versions behind, but host a TON of wikis already. You can even have them enable various extensions (like Semantic Bundle).

This would be interesting for my little farm, I have the time to put into
it but not the needed "know how" to fix issues, install some extensions
etc, but as Wjhonson states it would have to be adorable to those users.

*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Nikolas Everett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Atlassian sells a Confluence in the cloud at a per seat cost.
> VisualEditor would make MediaWiki a decent competitor from the
> perspective of the corporate types I've seen involved in such
> purchasing decisions.  I'm not sure how much traction it'd have but
> there is something to say for MediaWiki being the wiki that everyone
> is used to.
>
> Nik
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Andre Polykanine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > Agreed with Brion completely.
> > Such hosting would be an extremely useful thing, but it should have no
> > ads  (at  least  as  a  payed option), be able to redirect to a custom
> > domain, and have all the things Brion mentioned. I would pay for it, I
> > think.
> >

> > --
> > With best regards from Ukraine,
> > Andre
> > Skype: Francophile
> > My blog: http://oire.org/menelion (mostly in Russian)
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/m_elensule
> > Facebook: http://facebook.com/menelion

Wikia *requires* all user content to be published under a FREE license.

That knocks me out of that game.
My work is copyright.