[MediaWiki-l] Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

[MediaWiki-l] Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

Aaron Gray-6
Hi,

I am trying to get TeX working in MediaWiki 1.18.2. I have successfully
installed TeXLive on my Fedora server. And have texvc compiled and working.

And have made the following additions to LocalSettings.php :-

$wgUseTex = true;
$wgTexvc = "/usr/bin/texvc";
$wgUploadPath = "$wgScriptPath/images";
$wgUploadDirectory = "$IP/images";
$wgMathPath = "$wgUploadPath/math";
$wgTmpPath = "$wgUploadPath/tmp";
$wgMathDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/math";
$wgTmpDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/tmp";
$wgUploadBaseUrl = false;

And run :-

    php maintenance*/*update.php

But am getting the following error message :-

    *Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation
of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c-d*

I had it working on my previous version of MediaWiki using LaTeX and
MediaWIki 1.11.0.

Hope you can help and its something obvious.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Re: Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

ARALND SCOTT FOSTER
ok put it in!!!!!

On 29 December 2012 05:21, ARALND SCOTT FOSTER <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ok put it in!!!!!

Sorry I do have png generation
Package dvipng-1.13-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version

# which convert
/usr/bin/convert

# which gs
/usr/bin/gs

# which dvips
/usr/bin/dvips

> > From: [hidden email]
> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:51:47 +0000
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get TeX working in MediaWiki 1.18.2. I have successfully
> > installed TeXLive on my Fedora server. And have texvc compiled and
> working.
> >
> > And have made the following additions to LocalSettings.php :-
> >
> > $wgUseTex = true;
> > $wgTexvc = "/usr/bin/texvc";
> > $wgUploadPath = "$wgScriptPath/images";
> > $wgUploadDirectory = "$IP/images";
> > $wgMathPath = "$wgUploadPath/math";
> > $wgTmpPath = "$wgUploadPath/tmp";
> > $wgMathDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/math";
> > $wgTmpDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/tmp";
> > $wgUploadBaseUrl = false;
> >
> > And run :-
> >
> > php maintenance*/*update.php
> >
> > But am getting the following error message :-
> >
> > *Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation
> > of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c-d*
> >
> > I had it working on my previous version of MediaWiki using LaTeX and
> > MediaWIki 1.11.0.
> >
> > Hope you can help and its something obvious.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Aaron

Re: Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

Aaron Gray-6
I have tried on the latest release of MediaWiki and the Math extension and
am still getting the same problem so I am wondering if it is anything to do
with having an old version of TeXLive on Fedora 14.

Aaron

On 29 December 2012 05:30, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 December 2012 05:21, ARALND SCOTT FOSTER <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> ok put it in!!!!!
>>

> Sorry I do have png generation
> Package dvipng-1.13-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
>
> # which convert
> /usr/bin/convert
>
> # which gs
> /usr/bin/gs
>
> # which dvips
> /usr/bin/dvips
>

>> > From: [hidden email]
>> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:51:47 +0000
>> > To: [hidden email]
>> > Subject: [MediaWiki-l] Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am trying to get TeX working in MediaWiki 1.18.2. I have successfully
>> > installed TeXLive on my Fedora server. And have texvc compiled and
>> working.
>> >
>> > And have made the following additions to LocalSettings.php :-
>> >
>> > $wgUseTex = true;
>> > $wgTexvc = "/usr/bin/texvc";
>> > $wgUploadPath = "$wgScriptPath/images";
>> > $wgUploadDirectory = "$IP/images";
>> > $wgMathPath = "$wgUploadPath/math";
>> > $wgTmpPath = "$wgUploadPath/tmp";
>> > $wgMathDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/math";
>> > $wgTmpDirectory = "$wgUploadDirectory/tmp";
>> > $wgUploadBaseUrl = false;
>> >
>> > And run :-
>> >
>> > php maintenance*/*update.php
>> >
>> > But am getting the following error message :-
>> >
>> > *Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation
>> > of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c-d*
>> >
>> > I had it working on my previous version of MediaWiki using LaTeX and
>> > MediaWIki 1.11.0.
>> >
>> > Hope you can help and its something obvious.
>> >
>> > Many thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > Aaron

Re: Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

Moritz Schubotz-2
Hi,

If you like you could try to checkout the LaTeXML version as described here.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math#LaTeXML
Thereby you'd use a webservice that generates Mathml rather than
generating images.
If you have problems please let me know.

Best
Moritz

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have tried on the latest release of MediaWiki and the Math extension and
> am still getting the same problem so I am wondering if it is anything to do
> with having an old version of TeXLive on Fedora 14.
>
> Aaron
>
> On 29 December 2012 05:30, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 29 December 2012 05:21, ARALND SCOTT FOSTER <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> ok put it in!!!!!
>>>

>> Sorry I do have png generation
>> Package dvipng-1.13-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
>>
>> # which convert
>> /usr/bin/convert
>>
>> # which gs
>> /usr/bin/gs
>>
>> # which dvips
>> /usr/bin/dvips

>>> working.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Moritz Schubotz

  Telefon (Büro):  +49 30 314 22784
  Telefon (Privat):+49 30 488 27330
  E-Mail: [hidden email]
  Web: http://www.physikerwelt.de
  Skype: Schubi87
  ICQ: 200302764
  Msn: [hidden email]

On 30 December 2012 13:09, Moritz Schubotz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you like you could try to checkout the LaTeXML version as described
> here.
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math#LaTeXML
> Thereby you'd use a webservice that generates Mathml rather than
> generating images.
> If you have problems please let me know.

I just tried TeXLive on latest Fedora with the latest Git repository of the
math extension, latest Wikimedia 1.20.2. And it is failing with the same
error as I was getting with the old one on Fedora 14 and Wikimedia 1.18.2

    Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct instillation
of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c

I have convert, gs, dvips, and dvipng all installed and working on the
command line.

I am wondering if I am doing something rather basic wrong or whether the
maths extension is just broken ?

Does LaTeXML support full LaTeX stuff like Type Inference Rules and special
symbols used by complex inference rules ?

I am looking in the end to get maths inference rules out and typeset by the
Wikimedia PDF extension within a larger text.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30 December 2012 13:09, Moritz Schubotz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you like you could try to checkout the LaTeXML version as described
>> here.
>> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math#LaTeXML
>> Thereby you'd use a webservice that generates Mathml rather than
>> generating images.
>> If you have problems please let me know.
>>

> I just tried TeXLive on latest Fedora with the latest Git repository of the
> math extension, latest Wikimedia 1.20.2. And it is failing with the same
> error as I was getting with the old one on Fedora 14 and Wikimedia 1.18.2
>
>     Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct instillation
> of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c
>
> I have convert, gs, dvips, and dvipng all installed and working on the
> command line.
>
> I am wondering if I am doing something rather basic wrong or whether the
> maths extension is just broken ?
>

> Does LaTeXML support full LaTeX stuff like Type Inference Rules and special
> symbols used by complex inference rules ?
Yes I as far as I could test. But you can try it yoursef at
http://latexml.mathweb.org/editor
and see some samples at
http://wikidemo.formulasearchengine.com/wiki/MathTestEN
If you have further questions don't heasitate to ask.
Best
Moritz

On 3 January 2013 00:59, Moritz Schubotz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Aaron Gray <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On 30 December 2012 13:09, Moritz Schubotz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> If you like you could try to checkout the LaTeXML version as described
> >> here.
> >> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Math#LaTeXML
> >> Thereby you'd use a webservice that generates Mathml rather than
> >> generating images.
> >> If you have problems please let me know.
> >>

> > I just tried TeXLive on latest Fedora with the latest Git repository of
> the
> > math extension, latest Wikimedia 1.20.2. And it is failing with the same
> > error as I was getting with the old one on Fedora 14 and Wikimedia 1.18.2
> >
> >     Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct
> instillation
> > of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): a=b+c
> >
> > I have convert, gs, dvips, and dvipng all installed and working on the
> > command line.
> >
> > I am wondering if I am doing something rather basic wrong or whether the
> > maths extension is just broken ?
> >

> > Does LaTeXML support full LaTeX stuff like Type Inference Rules and
> special
> > symbols used by complex inference rules ?
> Yes I as far as I could test. But you can try it yoursef at
> http://latexml.mathweb.org/editor
> and see some samples at
> http://wikidemo.formulasearchengine.com/wiki/MathTestEN
> If you have further questions don't heasitate to ask.

Its got bugs ^ and superscript for starters ! Both in examples in the first
link and examples in the second link.
Aaron

> Best
> Moritz
> >
> > I am looking in the end to get maths inference rules out and typeset by
> the
> > Wikimedia PDF extension within a larger text.
> >

> >> Best
> >> Moritz

> >> and
> >> do

> [hidden email]

> >> successfully

> >> installation

> and

> >> --
> >> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> >> Moritz Schubotz
> >>
> >>   Telefon (Büro):  +49 30 314 22784
> >>   Telefon (Privat):+49 30 488 27330
> >>   E-Mail: [hidden email]
> >>   Web: http://www.physikerwelt.de
> >>   Skype: Schubi87
> >>   ICQ: 200302764
> >>   Msn: [hidden email]

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Moritz Schubotz
>
>   Telefon (Büro):  +49 30 314 22784
>   Telefon (Privat):+49 30 488 27330
>   E-Mail: [hidden email]
>   Web: http://www.physikerwelt.de
>   Skype: Schubi87
>   ICQ: 200302764
>   Msn: [hidden email]

Re: Getting TeX working on MediaWiki 1.18.2

Moritz Schubotz-2
Hi,

could you please provide some more detailed information.

Thanks
Moritz

On 5 January 2013 14:32, Moritz Schubotz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> could you please provide some more detailed information.

Look at the links you sent me.

Aaron