[MediaWiki-l] Green /doc pages

Steve VanSlyck
OK, another noob question.

How do I get my /doc pages to have a nice green background like Wikipedia's?

Re: Green /doc pages

Platonides
On 04/03/13 02:03, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> OK, another noob question.
>
> How do I get my /doc pages to have a nice green background like
> Wikipedia's?

What do you mean? Change the background color based on the namespace?
Use CSS for .ns-12 (or whatever number your namespace is in)

Re: Green /doc pages

Steve VanSlyck
I imported Wikipedia's /Template and /doc pages, but the pages don't show up in green. Is cs what Wikipedia is doing? The coloring transfers with the transclusion to the template page.

Platonides <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 04/03/13 02:03, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>> OK, another noob question.
>>
>> How do I get my /doc pages to have a nice green background like
>> Wikipedia's?
>
>What do you mean? Change the background color based on the namespace?
>Use CSS for .ns-12 (or whatever number your namespace is in)

Re: Green /doc pages

Steve VanSlyck
No, it's not based on namespace. Here the namespace is template but
these are the doc subpages. See, for example, how the coloring on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mbox/doc carries over with
documentation transcluded on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mbox
. That's what I'm trying to do.

On 04/03/13 23:52, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> No, it's not based on namespace. Here the namespace is template but
> these are the doc subpages. See, for example, how the coloring on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mbox/doc carries over with
> documentation transcluded on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Mbox
> . That's what I'm trying to do.

So it's not the actual page what you're trying to color, but its
transclusion in Ā«Template documentationĀ»

Copy in [[MediaWiki:Common.css]] this excerpt from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css

/* For template documentation */
.template-documentation {
    clear: both;
    margin: 1em 0 0 0;
    border: 1px solid #aaa;
    background-color: #ecfcf4;
    padding: 1em;
}

Re: Green /doc pages

Steve VanSlyck
EXCELLENT - Thank you!

On 3/6/2013 09.53, Platonides wrote:
> /* For template documentation */
> .template-documentation {
>      clear: both;
>      margin: 1em 0 0 0;
>      border: 1px solid #aaa;
>      background-color: #ecfcf4;
>      padding: 1em;
> }

[MediaWiki-l] Another styling question

Steve VanSlyck
Me again.

If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:In_creation you
will see that the template box has a light grey background. I've tried
copying a rather large section of MediaWiki:Common.css to my own wiki's
Common.css but I'm obviously not grabbing the right part. Can you advise
when section is the correct one to grab? It does not appear to be in the
group starting with

/* Article message box styles */

and ending much further below with

/* Allow for hiding text in compact form */
.compact-ambox .hide-when-compact {
display: none;
}

Re: Another styling question

Roger_Chrisman
Maybe you want this snip from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css:

/* Other pages message box styles */
table.ombox {
    margin: 4px 10%;
    border-collapse: collapse;
    border: 1px solid #aaa;       /* Default "notice" gray */
    background: #f9f9f9;
}

There is more below that, too. I prefer simple stuff myself. The
Wikipedia's templates are a few orders of magnitude more complex than
I like. Too many fingers in the pie I guess. Why note bake your own
templates, and keep it simple?

Roger :-)

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Me again.
>
> If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:In_creation you will
> see that the template box has a light grey background. I've tried copying a
> rather large section of MediaWiki:Common.css to my own wiki's Common.css but
> I'm obviously not grabbing the right part. Can you advise when section is
> the correct one to grab? It does not appear to be in the group starting with
>
> /* Article message box styles */
>
> and ending much further below with
>
> /* Allow for hiding text in compact form */
> .compact-ambox .hide-when-compact {
> display: none;
> }

Re: Another styling question

Steve VanSlyck
That's part of the group I'd copied over. But let me give it a shot with
just that and nothing else and report back.
#WAITFOR{{Jeopardy Theme}}
Well, I did as you suggest. The grey comes through on the template page
but on on the page whereon the template is transcluded.

Anything else I could look at that comes to mind?

On 3/8/2013 23.07, [hidden email] wrote:

> Maybe you want this snip from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css:
>
> /* Other pages message box styles */
> table.ombox {
>      margin: 4px 10%;
>      border-collapse: collapse;
>      border: 1px solid #aaa;       /* Default "notice" gray */
>      background: #f9f9f9;
> }
>
> There is more below that, too. I prefer simple stuff myself. The
> Wikipedia's templates are a few orders of magnitude more complex than
> I like. Too many fingers in the pie I guess. Why note bake your own
> templates, and keep it simple?
>
> Roger :-)
>
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Me again.
>>
>> If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:In_creation you will
>> see that the template box has a light grey background. I've tried copying a
>> rather large section of MediaWiki:Common.css to my own wiki's Common.css but
>> I'm obviously not grabbing the right part. Can you advise when section is
>> the correct one to grab? It does not appear to be in the group starting with
>>
>> /* Article message box styles */
>>
>> and ending much further below with
>>
>> /* Allow for hiding text in compact form */
>> .compact-ambox .hide-when-compact {
>> display: none;
>> }

Re: Another styling question

Mlpearc
Maybe something like this:

/* Banners inside banner shells. */
.mbox-inside .standard-talk,
.messagebox.nested-talk {
 border: 1px solid #0000FF;
 *background-color: transparent;*
 width: 100%;
 margin: 2px 0;
 padding: 2px;
}

Mlpearc

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>wrote:

> That's part of the group I'd copied over. But let me give it a shot with
> just that and nothing else and report back.
> #WAITFOR{{Jeopardy Theme}}
> Well, I did as you suggest. The grey comes through on the template page
> but on on the page whereon the template is transcluded.
>
> Anything else I could look at that comes to mind?
>

> On 3/8/2013 23.07, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Maybe you want this snip from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**
>> MediaWiki:Common.css <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Common.css>:
>>
>> /* Other pages message box styles */
>> table.ombox {
>>      margin: 4px 10%;
>>      border-collapse: collapse;
>>      border: 1px solid #aaa;       /* Default "notice" gray */
>>      background: #f9f9f9;
>> }
>>
>> There is more below that, too. I prefer simple stuff myself. The
>> Wikipedia's templates are a few orders of magnitude more complex than
>> I like. Too many fingers in the pie I guess. Why note bake your own
>> templates, and keep it simple?
>>
>> Roger :-)
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Me again.
>>>
>>> If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Template:In_creation<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:In_creation>you will
>>> see that the template box has a light grey background. I've tried
>>> copying a
>>> rather large section of MediaWiki:Common.css to my own wiki's Common.css
>>> but
>>> I'm obviously not grabbing the right part. Can you advise when section is
>>> the correct one to grab? It does not appear to be in the group starting
>>> with
>>>
>>> /* Article message box styles */
>>>
>>> and ending much further below with
>>>
>>> /* Allow for hiding text in compact form */
>>> .compact-ambox .hide-when-compact {
>>> display: none;
>>> }

*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

Re: Another styling question

Mlpearc
Ops, of course, using the right rule. "Background: transparent" is what I
was trying to communicate :P

Mlpearc

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Mlpearc <[hidden email]

--
*
Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>
Phone: 760-718-1290

Re: Another styling question

Steve VanSlyck
Sorry, my original post wasn't too clear. The problem is that the ombox
shows up correctly - with grey background - on the template, but does
*not* show up correctly (with grey background) on the article pages. I'd
like it to be the same as on Wikipedia.