[MediaWiki-l] Help needed with CentralAuth

[MediaWiki-l] Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Admittedly, I never learned how to properly set up and configure
CentralAuth.

I have installed two fresh wikis, called en.localhost and meta.localhost
and you can see the LocalSettings.php file that I am using at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7808

What I am trying to achieve is this: when you go to en.localhost and log
in, this should log you into both wikis.

When I try logging in via en.localhost, I get this message:No active login
attempt is in progress for your session.

And I am not logged into either wiki. :(

Can you please tell me what I need to change in the configurations to make
this work?

Thanks,

Huji

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

K. Peachey-2
Hi Huji,

If they are fresh wikis, Try having a look at doing a Shared Database
setup[1], compared to centralauth.

[1]. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Shared_database
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 12:05, Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Admittedly, I never learned how to properly set up and configure
> CentralAuth.
>
> I have installed two fresh wikis, called en.localhost and meta.localhost
> and you can see the LocalSettings.php file that I am using at
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7808
>
> What I am trying to achieve is this: when you go to en.localhost and log
> in, this should log you into both wikis.
>
> When I try logging in via en.localhost, I get this message:No active login
> attempt is in progress for your session.
>
> And I am not logged into either wiki. :(
>
> Can you please tell me what I need to change in the configurations to make
> this work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huji

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Brian Wolff
So im not sure, but first things id check:
* wgMainCacheType is not set. In principle nothing should need this set as
sessions should use $wgSessionCacheType, but i would reccomend ensuring
that main cache type is set to something writable that works (if all else
fails try $wgMainCacheType = CACHE_DB; ) just in case.
* not using mediawiki builtin wikifarm stuff. I think centralauth depends
on $wgLoadBalancer to be used for db config, and $wgConf being used at
least for $wgServer and $wgScriptPath.

--
brian

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Admittedly, I never learned how to properly set up and configure
> CentralAuth.
>
> I have installed two fresh wikis, called en.localhost and meta.localhost
> and you can see the LocalSettings.php file that I am using at
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7808
>
> What I am trying to achieve is this: when you go to en.localhost and log
> in, this should log you into both wikis.
>
> When I try logging in via en.localhost, I get this message:No active login
> attempt is in progress for your session.
>
> And I am not logged into either wiki. :(
>
> Can you please tell me what I need to change in the configurations to make
> this work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huji

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Thank you both.

@ K. Peachy: I rather not use shared tables. These are tests wikis that I
am setting up just to have a mini version of the WMF environment, so I can
test patches and such. I believe WMF does not use shared tables so I rather
not either.

@ Brian: what value does WMF use for $wgLoadBalancer? And what do you
recommend I should use, given that I have only one server (a linux VM
hosted locally on Virtual Box)?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:16 AM Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So im not sure, but first things id check:
> * wgMainCacheType is not set. In principle nothing should need this set as
> sessions should use $wgSessionCacheType, but i would reccomend ensuring
> that main cache type is set to something writable that works (if all else
> fails try $wgMainCacheType = CACHE_DB; ) just in case.
> * not using mediawiki builtin wikifarm stuff. I think centralauth depends
> on $wgLoadBalancer to be used for db config, and $wgConf being used at
> least for $wgServer and $wgScriptPath.
>
> --
> brian
>
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018, Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Admittedly, I never learned how to properly set up and configure
> > CentralAuth.
> >
> > I have installed two fresh wikis, called en.localhost and meta.localhost
> > and you can see the LocalSettings.php file that I am using at
> > https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7808
> >
> > What I am trying to achieve is this: when you go to en.localhost and log
> > in, this should log you into both wikis.
> >
> > When I try logging in via en.localhost, I get this message:No active
> login
> > attempt is in progress for your session.
> >
> > And I am not logged into either wiki. :(
> >
> > Can you please tell me what I need to change in the configurations to
> make
> > this work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Huji

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Bryan Davis
On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:03 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @ Brian: what value does WMF use for $wgLoadBalancer? And what do you
> recommend I should use, given that I have only one server (a linux VM
> hosted locally on Virtual Box)?

If you are already using VirtualBox for this project, I would
personally recommend that you switch to using MediaWiki-Vagrant
(<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant>) to manage your VM
and use `vagrant role enable centralauth` to add CentralAuth support
to the wikifarm that mwv manages.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Well the issue is I don't know how to work with Gerrit when using vagrant.
I want to have the ability to load a patch (with git review -d ...) and to
create and submit patches. To the extent that I know, vagrant does *not*
integrate with my git account, right?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:03 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > @ Brian: what value does WMF use for $wgLoadBalancer? And what do you
> > recommend I should use, given that I have only one server (a linux VM
> > hosted locally on Virtual Box)?
>
> If you are already using VirtualBox for this project, I would
> personally recommend that you switch to using MediaWiki-Vagrant
> (<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant>) to manage your VM
> and use `vagrant role enable centralauth` to add CentralAuth support
> to the wikifarm that mwv manages.
>
> Bryan
> --
> Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
> [[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA
> irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Brian Wolff
Whoops, I meant to say $wgLBFactoryConf, not $wgLoadBalancer

Wikimedia's config is at
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/highlight.php?file=db-eqiad.php but its
super complicated. I would recommend following the simple example at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgLBFactoryConf#3_wikis_all_using_localhost_as_db_server

For $wgConf see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgConf

--
Brian

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If you are already using VirtualBox for this project, I would
> > personally recommend that you switch to using MediaWiki-Vagrant
> > (<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki-Vagrant>) to manage your VM
> > and use `vagrant role enable centralauth` to add CentralAuth support
> > to the wikifarm that mwv manages.
>
> Well the issue is I don't know how to work with Gerrit when using vagrant.
> I want to have the ability to load a patch (with git review -d ...) and to
> create and submit patches. To the extent that I know, vagrant does *not*
> integrate with my git account, right?

MediaWiki-Vagrant manages the git clones for MediaWiki core and needed
extensions on the host computer (e.g. your laptop) and then shares the
directory that they are checked out to into the virtual machine. The
typical workflow for gerrit interactions then becomes using git and
git-review from the host computer in the correct directory.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
@Bryan: then I would need someone to document that workflow so I can start
using it. It is not obvious to me how to do so based on your explanation.

@Brian: I added the $wgLBFactoryConf (see
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7808) and now I get this:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/P7813

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 9:38 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:29 AM Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Well the issue is I don't know how to work with Gerrit when using
> > vagrant.
> > > I want to have the ability to load a patch (with git review -d ...) and
> > > create and submit patches. To the extent that I know, vagrant does *not*
> > > integrate with my git account, right?
> >
> > MediaWiki-Vagrant manages the git clones for MediaWiki core and needed
> > extensions on the host computer (e.g. your laptop) and then shares the
> > directory that they are checked out to into the virtual machine. The
> > typical workflow for gerrit interactions then becomes using git and
> > git-review from the host computer in the correct directory.
>
> @Bryan: then I would need someone to document that workflow so I can start
> using it. It is not obvious to me how to do so based on your explanation.

The workflow is the same as documented at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Tutorial> for any local use of
git + gerrit. The only special thing is which git clones you are
working from.

You will have a directory somewhere on your host computer that is a
clone of the MediaWiki-Vagrant git repository; let's call this
~/Vagrant for simplicity, but it could be anywhere. The
~/Vagrant/mediawiki directory will be created by `vagrant up` as a
clone of mediawiki/core.git. Skins will be cloned into
~/Vagrant/mediawiki/skins. Extensions will be cloned into
~/Vagrant/mediawiki/extensions.

If you wanted to test a CentralAuth patch from gerrit, you would do
these things:
* cd ~/Vagrant/mediawiki/extensions/CentralAuth
* git review -d <change number>
* Use the MediaWiki-Vagrant hosted wikifarm to test the change

To submit a patch to gerrit:
* cd ~/Vagrant/mediawiki/...
* git add ...
* git commit
* git review -R

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Ok, I will look into it. I gave it a quick try right now, and it refused to
work (it asked me to install Virtualbox on my guest Linux machine, which
itself is on Virtualbox, and then it complained that the guest machine's
BIOS does not allow virtualization). Generally, I would like to avoid
vagrant because it adds another level to the learning curve for me.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I will look into it. I gave it a quick try right now, and it refused to
> work (it asked me to install Virtualbox on my guest Linux machine, which
> itself is on Virtualbox, and then it complained that the guest machine's
> BIOS does not allow virtualization).

We are possibly talking past each other here without completely
understanding the points of the other side. My recommendation of
MediaWiki-Vagrant was based on the assumption that you would run it
directly on your host computer, not inside an existing virtualization
container on that computer.

I missed the concept that you are currently using a Virtualbox guest
running Linux as your primary development environment with all git,
Gerrit, etc actions performed inside that VM. This is also possible
using MediaWiki-Vagrant, but potentially slightly more difficult to
configure. It should not be incredibly difficult as git and git-review
are both installed by default inside the MediaWiki-Vagrant managed
Debian Stretch VM, but you would need to figure out what way you are
comfortable in managing your ssh private key for communication with
Gerrit.

> Generally, I would like to avoid vagrant because it adds another level
> to the learning curve for me.

Fair enough. My counter argument would be that you previously stated
that you wanted "a mini version of the WMF environment".
MediaWiki-Vagrant exists to provide that in a relatively simple
manner. It does however come with its own quirks.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Wait, are you saying that WMF uses MediaWiki-Vagrant to run the Wikipedias
etc? I thought they was not correct.

PS: You are correct that we talked passed each other.
PPS: Vagrant or not, the purpose of this question is partly for me to have
a working environment, but also partly to understand what config I had done
wrong. So I think sticking to the non-Vagrant option would be also better
for that reason.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:05 PM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wait, are you saying that WMF uses MediaWiki-Vagrant to run the Wikipedias
> etc? I thought they was not correct.

No, MediaWiki-Vagrant is not used for Wikimedia's production hosting
environment. It is however the only semi-official and semi-maintained
(its a long story) shared development environment. I have worked for
the Wikimedia Foundation for a bit over 5 years and have used
MediaWiki-Vagrant as part of my development workflow for that entire
time. We do not track statistics on MediaWiki-Vagrant usage among
Foundation engineering teams, but I can anecdotally say that a number
of teams either currently or in the recent past have used
MediaWiki-Vagrant as their standard development environment as well.
It has roles for setting up fairly exotic systems such as CentralAuth
complete with a dedicated loginwiki or Flow with external storage.

MediaWiki-Vagrant uses a lot of custom Puppet code to provide a system
that can reliably and repeatedly provision a wikifarm within a virtual
machine (or LXC container) that comes about as close as one is
reasonably able to running the same software with similar
configuration to the actively maintained parts of the Wikimedia
production environment.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

Re: Help needed with CentralAuth

Huji Lee
Very tempting.... Maybe I should pursue both options in parallel, and
install vagrant on my host machine. If I want more real-time help in
setting this up, would #wikimedia-dev be the right channel to ask questions
in?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:11 PM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM Bryan Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:05 PM Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Wait, are you saying that WMF uses MediaWiki-Vagrant to run the
> > Wikipedias
> > > etc? I thought they was not correct.
> >
> > No, MediaWiki-Vagrant is not used for Wikimedia's production hosting
> > environment. It is however the only semi-official and semi-maintained
> > (its a long story) shared development environment. I have worked for
> > the Wikimedia Foundation for a bit over 5 years and have used
> > MediaWiki-Vagrant as part of my development workflow for that entire
> > time. We do not track statistics on MediaWiki-Vagrant usage among
> > Foundation engineering teams, but I can anecdotally say that a number
> > of teams either currently or in the recent past have used
> > MediaWiki-Vagrant as their standard development environment as well.
> > It has roles for setting up fairly exotic systems such as CentralAuth
> > complete with a dedicated loginwiki or Flow with external storage.
> >
> > MediaWiki-Vagrant uses a lot of custom Puppet code to provide a system
> > that can reliably and repeatedly provision a wikifarm within a virtual
> > machine (or LXC container) that comes about as close as one is
> > reasonably able to running the same software with similar
> > configuration to the actively maintained parts of the Wikimedia
> > production environment.
>
> Very tempting.... Maybe I should pursue both options in parallel, and
> install vagrant on my host machine. If I want more real-time help in
> setting this up, would #wikimedia-dev be the right channel to ask questions
> in?

There are usually folks in both #wikimedia-dev and #wikimedia-tech on
Freenode that can help with general MediaWiki-Vagrant questions.

Bryan