[MediaWiki-l] How to calculate the length of a string

[MediaWiki-l] How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
In my MW 2.28.2 site, I placed the following code into a page:

{{#invoke:String|len|This is a Test}}

It did not execute as expected, it only appeared as text.

From the documentation page on the string module [0],  it is not clear to me how to enable this capability.
How do I enable the String Module in my site?

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Module:String

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

Amanda Quad
Hi,
MediaWiki version 2.28.2 doesn’t exist....
I assume you mean 1.28.2?
— Amanda

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:18 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

In my MW 2.28.2 site, I placed the following code into a page:

{{#invoke:String|len|This is a Test}}

It did not execute as expected, it only appeared as text.

From the documentation page on the string module [0],  it is not clear to me how to enable this capability.
How do I enable the String Module in my site?

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Module:String

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
*derp* .. yes. Thank you.

That said.. any insight where to start with "modules"?

Thank you!
-Rich

> I assume you mean 1.28.2?
> — Amanda

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

Amanda Quad
I’m not very experienced with modules. However, what I’ve found is that when you invoke a module like you described, and then it doesn’t do what it is supposed to do, it sometimes means that the module is dependent on another sub module that is missing.
Does the page where the module has been invoked display something like “LUA ERROR: Module XYZ NOT FOUND” where the output of the invoked module is supposed to be? If yes, you need to add whatever XYZ is in order for the first module to work. If not, I unfortunately cannot guide you further.
I always import all my modules from Wikimedia using the Scribunto extension, so this is not one of my areas of high expertise.
— Amanda

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:26 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

*derp* .. yes. Thank you.

That said.. any insight where to start with "modules"?

Thank you!
-Rich

> I assume you mean 1.28.2?
> — Amanda

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

chris tharp-2
You have to install extension: Scribunto. It allows you to use lua. Check the document links from the extension page, or google lua Mediawiki and you should everything you need.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 7:26 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *derp* .. yes. Thank you.
>
> That said.. any insight where to start with "modules"?
>
> Thank you!
> -Rich
>

>> I assume you mean 1.28.2?
>> — Amanda

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
Gotcha. Thanks.

No. no errors or any messages of any kind. It just appears as text as if I placed it inside of a <nowiki> tagset.

I had never even heard of "modules" before now.

-Rich

I’m not very experienced with modules. However, what I’ve found is that when you invoke a module like you described, and then it doesn’t do what it is supposed to do, it sometimes means that the module is dependent on another sub module that is missing.
Does the page where the module has been invoked display something like “LUA ERROR: Module XYZ NOT FOUND” where the output of the invoked module is supposed to be? If yes, you need to add whatever XYZ is in order for the first module to work. If not, I unfortunately cannot guide you further.
I always import all my modules from Wikimedia using the Scribunto extension, so this is not one of my areas of high expertise.
— Amanda

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:26 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

*derp* .. yes. Thank you.

That said.. any insight where to start with "modules"?

Thank you!
-Rich

> I assume you mean 1.28.2?
> — Amanda

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
Ok. Will do. Thanks, Chris.

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

Amanda Quad
Yep, that confirms it. If the invoked module just appears as plain text as if within nowiki tags, it means that the Scribunto extension is either not installed or not configured properly. That extension is required for most modules to work.
https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto
— Amanda

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:33 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Gotcha. Thanks.

No. no errors or any messages of any kind. It just appears as text as if I placed it inside of a <nowiki> tagset.

I had never even heard of "modules" before now.

-Rich

I’m not very experienced with modules. However, what I’ve found is that when you invoke a module like you described, and then it doesn’t do what it is supposed to do, it sometimes means that the module is dependent on another sub module that is missing.
Does the page where the module has been invoked display something like “LUA ERROR: Module XYZ NOT FOUND” where the output of the invoked module is supposed to be? If yes, you need to add whatever XYZ is in order for the first module to work. If not, I unfortunately cannot guide you further.
I always import all my modules from Wikimedia using the Scribunto extension, so this is not one of my areas of high expertise.
— Amanda

On Thursday, January 4, 2018, 10:26 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:

*derp* .. yes. Thank you.

That said.. any insight where to start with "modules"?

Thank you!
-Rich

> I assume you mean 1.28.2?
> — Amanda

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
Ok..  I have the Extention:Scibunto installed, now my page code responds with:

--- Script error: No such module "String". ---

Does this mean I need to now manually install the "String" Module?
(just hoping for confirmation that I'm on the right path..)

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
I see that the Scibunto extension created a namespace called "Module".
Are Modules like Widets?
Do I just create a page called "Module:String" and copy/paste the code into it from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module:String ?

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
Er.. "Widgets"

>Are Modules like Widets?

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

chris tharp-2
Read the pages dealing with Lua. The extension installs a new namespace called Module, it’s like the the template namespace. When using invoke you’re calling a module, like you would with a template. So you need to copy over modules from  Mediawiki, Wikipedia, etc., or create your own, modules.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 4, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Evans, Richard K. (GRC-H000) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ok..  I have the Extention:Scibunto installed, now my page code responds with:
>
> --- Script error: No such module "String". ---
>
> Does this mean I need to now manually install the "String" Module?
> (just hoping for confirmation that I'm on the right path..)
>
> -Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
Got it. Thanks Chris and Amanda!

-Rich

Re: How to calculate the length of a string

rkevans
If I visit: https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Module:String&action=raw

And copy/paste the raw content to a page called Module:String on my wiki.. do I need to change the content model of the Module page?

I did just that and the page Module:String on my wiki does not look at all like code.. it look like an article..

Also.. when I refresh the page that calls the module.. I still get the same error as before I created the Module:String page, namely: