[MediaWiki-l] How to configure to always log error information?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] How to configure to always log error information?

Jeffrey Walton
Hi Everyone,

We are working through an issue with Syntax Highler extension.
Highlighting fails, and the wiki page in question states "Pages with
syntax highlighting errors". It is fairly obvious there's an error
condition somewhere.

When we check the error log there's nothing present. The only thing
present is the server restart (which baffles me since this is not an
error):

    $ tail -n 8 /var/log/httpd24/error_log
    [Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.238747 2017] [http2:warn] [pid 13535]
AH10034: The mpm module (prefork.c) is not supported by mod_http2. The
mpm determines how things are processed in your server. HTTP/2 has
more demands in this regard and the currently selected mpm will just
not do. This is an advisory warning. Your server will continue to
work, but the HTTP/2 protocol will be inactive.
[Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.258176 2017] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 13535]
AH00163: Apache/2.4.27 (Red Hat) OpenSSL/1.0.2k-fips PHP/7.1.8
configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.258234 2017] [core:notice] [pid 13535] AH00094:
Command line: '/opt/rh/httpd24/root/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND'

How do we trouble shoot this further? What do folks do when errors are
silently swallowed and no messages are logged?

Jeff

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to configure to always log error information?

Brian Wolff
https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug has some info about how to
enable mediawiki debug logs.

For syntax highlight, the most common problem is an issue executing
external commands. The mediawiki debug log, once enabled will tell you the
exact command mediawiki is trying to execute.

--
brian

On Friday, December 22, 2017, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We are working through an issue with Syntax Highler extension.
> Highlighting fails, and the wiki page in question states "Pages with
> syntax highlighting errors". It is fairly obvious there's an error
> condition somewhere.
>
> When we check the error log there's nothing present. The only thing
> present is the server restart (which baffles me since this is not an
> error):
>
>     $ tail -n 8 /var/log/httpd24/error_log
>     [Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.238747 2017] [http2:warn] [pid 13535]
> AH10034: The mpm module (prefork.c) is not supported by mod_http2. The
> mpm determines how things are processed in your server. HTTP/2 has
> more demands in this regard and the currently selected mpm will just
> not do. This is an advisory warning. Your server will continue to
> work, but the HTTP/2 protocol will be inactive.
> [Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.258176 2017] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 13535]
> AH00163: Apache/2.4.27 (Red Hat) OpenSSL/1.0.2k-fips PHP/7.1.8
> configured -- resuming normal operations
> [Fri Dec 22 20:54:04.258234 2017] [core:notice] [pid 13535] AH00094:
> Command line: '/opt/rh/httpd24/root/usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND'
>
> How do we trouble shoot this further? What do folks do when errors are
> silently swallowed and no messages are logged?
>
> Jeff
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to configure to always log error information?

Jeffrey Walton
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug has some info about how to
> enable mediawiki debug logs.
>
> For syntax highlight, the most common problem is an issue executing external
> commands. The mediawiki debug log, once enabled will tell you the exact
> command mediawiki is trying to execute.

Thanks Brian.

Is there something wrong with the shown configuration? Its not the
full configuration; rather its the parts that are supposed to be
catching errors. All the error related stuff is at the very end of
each conf file.

Jeff

# tail /etc/opt/rh/rh-php71/php.ini

# Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
log_errors = On
display_errors = On
display_startup_errors = On
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT
error_log = /var/log/httpd24/error_log

# tail /var/www/html/wiki/LocalSettings.php

# Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
$wgShowError = true;
$wgShowErrors = true;
$wgShowSQLError = true;
$wgShowSQLErrors = true;
$wgShowException = true;
$wgShowExceptions = true;
$wgShowExceptionDetails = true;

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to configure to always log error information?

Jeffrey Walton
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug has some info about how to
>> enable mediawiki debug logs.
>>
>> For syntax highlight, the most common problem is an issue executing external
>> commands. The mediawiki debug log, once enabled will tell you the exact
>> command mediawiki is trying to execute.
>
> Thanks Brian.
>
> Is there something wrong with the shown configuration? Its not the
> full configuration; rather its the parts that are supposed to be
> catching errors. All the error related stuff is at the very end of
> each conf file.
>
> Jeff
>
> # tail /etc/opt/rh/rh-php71/php.ini
>
> # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> log_errors = On
> display_errors = On
> display_startup_errors = On
> error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT
> error_log = /var/log/httpd24/error_log
>
> # tail /var/www/html/wiki/LocalSettings.php
>
> # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> $wgShowError = true;
> $wgShowErrors = true;
> $wgShowSQLError = true;
> $wgShowSQLErrors = true;
> $wgShowException = true;
> $wgShowExceptions = true;
> $wgShowExceptionDetails = true;

I'm beginning to think this is broken. I still can't get one message
logged to the error log.

Has there been chronic problems with error logging? Have people been
having trouble for years? What do people normally do? Just give up?

Jeff

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to configure to always log error information?

Scott Koranda
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:47 PM, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug has some info about how to
> >> enable mediawiki debug logs.
> >>
> >> For syntax highlight, the most common problem is an issue executing external
> >> commands. The mediawiki debug log, once enabled will tell you the exact
> >> command mediawiki is trying to execute.
> >
> > Thanks Brian.
> >
> > Is there something wrong with the shown configuration? Its not the
> > full configuration; rather its the parts that are supposed to be
> > catching errors. All the error related stuff is at the very end of
> > each conf file.
> >
> > Jeff
> >
> > # tail /etc/opt/rh/rh-php71/php.ini
> >
> > # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> > log_errors = On
> > display_errors = On
> > display_startup_errors = On
> > error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT
> > error_log = /var/log/httpd24/error_log
> >
> > # tail /var/www/html/wiki/LocalSettings.php
> >
> > # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> > $wgShowError = true;
> > $wgShowErrors = true;
> > $wgShowSQLError = true;
> > $wgShowSQLErrors = true;
> > $wgShowException = true;
> > $wgShowExceptions = true;
> > $wgShowExceptionDetails = true;
>
> I'm beginning to think this is broken. I still can't get one message
> logged to the error log.
>
> Has there been chronic problems with error logging? Have people been
> having trouble for years? What do people normally do? Just give up?
>

When I needed to debug some MediaWiki extensions I followed the
directions at

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug

I distilled that information into these personal notes I kept:

For debugging MediaWiki edit LocalSettings.php and add

error_reporting( -1 );
ini_set( 'display_errors', 1 );

$wgShowExceptionDetails = true;
$wgDebugToolbar = true;
$wgShowDebug = true;
$wgDevelopmentWarnings = true;

$wgDebugLogFile = "/srv/mediawiki-1.28.2/logs/mw.log";

The directory for the log file MUST exist AND be writeable by
the web user AND needs to be UNDER the MediaWiki installation.

Further debugging by editing PHP code and adding for example

        wfDebug("DEBUG: " . print_r($some_variable, true));

This then shows up in the log file (and on screen if that
debugging turned on).

HTH,

Scott K

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to configure to always log error information?

Brian Wolff
In reply to this post by Jeffrey Walton
On Friday, December 22, 2017, Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://m.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_debug has some info about how
to
>> enable mediawiki debug logs.
>>
>> For syntax highlight, the most common problem is an issue executing
external

>> commands. The mediawiki debug log, once enabled will tell you the exact
>> command mediawiki is trying to execute.
>
> Thanks Brian.
>
> Is there something wrong with the shown configuration? Its not the
> full configuration; rather its the parts that are supposed to be
> catching errors. All the error related stuff is at the very end of
> each conf file.
>
> Jeff
>
> # tail /etc/opt/rh/rh-php71/php.ini
>
> # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> log_errors = On
> display_errors = On
> display_startup_errors = On
> error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT
> error_log = /var/log/httpd24/error_log
>
> # tail /var/www/html/wiki/LocalSettings.php
>
> # Added by JW 12/21/2017 for MediaWiki migration
> $wgShowError = true;
> $wgShowErrors = true;
> $wgShowSQLError = true;
> $wgShowSQLErrors = true;
> $wgShowException = true;
> $wgShowExceptions = true;
> $wgShowExceptionDetails = true;
>

Thats just for exceptions and fatal errors. You are looking for debug logs,
which can be captured with $wgDebugLogFile as the other poster suggested.

--
brian
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l