[MediaWiki-l] How to delete erroneous file 'Common.css'?

[MediaWiki-l] How to delete erroneous file 'Common.css'?

Sharon Kimble

I'm setting up 2 localhost-only wikis for development purposes and
trying out new ideas. One called 'wiki-drugfacts' and the other called
'wiki-tgmeds'. They both share the same mariadb database although
'wiki-tgmeds' does have a prefix of 'tg-' first in the database.

whilst endeavouring to set up 'common.css' like I already have on my
main 'DrugFacts' website, it is working on 'wiki-drugfacts' but not on
'wiki-tgmeds'. It seems very likely that I have set up
'http://localhost/wiki-tgmeds/index.php/Common.css' but now I can't
delete it. So how can I securely delete it please?

I've looked at these pages [1], [2], and [3] and they all seem to imply
that I need to be in the 'administrator' or 'sysop' user groups. so I've
looked at all possible variations of user/root setup of wiki-tgmeds to
see if I can change the user permission for myself, but without any
success at all.

I'm now coming to the belief that it possibly relates to how I set up
wiki-tgmeds. I set up wiki-drugfacts and got it working as I wanted, and
then I created the wiki-tgmeds directory at /var/www/html/wiki-tgmeds
and then proceeded to manually populate the directory with an install of
the mediawiki files, from when I expanded and extracted
'mediawiki-1.31.0.tar.gz'. I found the site on localhost in my browser
and then just proceeded to create a new 'LocalSettings.php'. And once
the site was up and running I created one article but wasn't able to get
the text to wrap around the TOC, which started me off on my quest to get
'Common.css' working properly.

So to recap, how can I delete the erroneous 'Commons.css' file on wiki-tgmeds' please

Thanks
Sharon.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Deletion_and_undeletion
[3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Administrators#Deletion
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.3.2, org 9.1.13

Re: How to delete erroneous file 'Common.css'?

Martin Urbanec
The installer should create an account that is in both sysop and bureaucrat
group. By default, this means it can delete/undelete pages, block/unblock
users and perform other actions restricted to sysops and also manage user
group membership (for example promote users to sysops and demote sysops).

If there is no such account (can be verified using Special:ListAdmins), you
can use createAndPromote.php maintenance script, see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CreateAndPromote.php. You can use it
either for creating a new user and promote it to be a sysop/bureaucrat or
for creating a new user without promoting or for promoting existing user or
for changing user's password, so the name of the script is slightly
confusing, but hope it will do.

Alternatively, you can delete pages using maintenance script
deleteBatch.php, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:DeleteBatch.php.
But I'd advise to get admin privileges somehow and use deleteBatch.php only
if a page cannot be deleted using online interface for some reason.

Best,
Martin

so 21. 7. 2018 v 15:05 odesílatel Sharon Kimble <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> I'm setting up 2 localhost-only wikis for development purposes and
> trying out new ideas. One called 'wiki-drugfacts' and the other called
> 'wiki-tgmeds'. They both share the same mariadb database although
> 'wiki-tgmeds' does have a prefix of 'tg-' first in the database.
>
> whilst endeavouring to set up 'common.css' like I already have on my
> main 'DrugFacts' website, it is working on 'wiki-drugfacts' but not on
> 'wiki-tgmeds'. It seems very likely that I have set up
> 'http://localhost/wiki-tgmeds/index.php/Common.css' but now I can't
> delete it. So how can I securely delete it please?
>
> I've looked at these pages [1], [2], and [3] and they all seem to imply
> that I need to be in the 'administrator' or 'sysop' user groups. so I've
> looked at all possible variations of user/root setup of wiki-tgmeds to
> see if I can change the user permission for myself, but without any
> success at all.
>
> I'm now coming to the belief that it possibly relates to how I set up
> wiki-tgmeds. I set up wiki-drugfacts and got it working as I wanted, and
> then I created the wiki-tgmeds directory at /var/www/html/wiki-tgmeds
> and then proceeded to manually populate the directory with an install of
> the mediawiki files, from when I expanded and extracted
> 'mediawiki-1.31.0.tar.gz'. I found the site on localhost in my browser
> and then just proceeded to create a new 'LocalSettings.php'. And once
> the site was up and running I created one article but wasn't able to get
> the text to wrap around the TOC, which started me off on my quest to get
> 'Common.css' working properly.
>
> So to recap, how can I delete the erroneous 'Commons.css' file on
> wiki-tgmeds' please
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Deletion_and_undeletion
> [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Administrators#Deletion
> --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
> DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
> Debian 9.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.3.2, org 9.1.13

Re: How to delete erroneous file 'Common.css'?

Greg Rundlett (freephile)

> > I'm now coming to the belief that it possibly relates to how I set up
> > wiki-tgmeds. I set up wiki-drugfacts and got it working as I wanted, and
> > then I created the wiki-tgmeds directory at /var/www/html/wiki-tgmeds
> > and then proceeded to manually populate the directory with an install of
> > the mediawiki files, from when I expanded and extracted
> > 'mediawiki-1.31.0.tar.gz'. I found the site on localhost in my browser
> > and then just proceeded to create a new 'LocalSettings.php'. And once
> > the site was up and running I created one article but wasn't able to get
> > the text to wrap around the TOC, which started me off on my quest to get
> > 'Common.css' working properly.
> >
> > So to recap, how can I delete the erroneous 'Commons.css' file on
> > wiki-tgmeds' please
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharon.

Please note: the file you wish to create to adjust text-wrapping is
MediaWiki:Common.css

MediaWiki:Common.css is a file "on wiki"; which administrators can edit in
the browser.
It contains CSS that will apply to the entire wiki.
It's in the 'MediaWiki' namespace (as opposed to 'Main', 'Project',
'Template', 'Talk', 'User', etc.)
It's singular (not to be confused with the Wikimedia Commons
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>, where all free files can be
found. )

~ Greg