Quantcast

[MediaWiki-l] How to set up and use columns?

[MediaWiki-l] How to set up and use columns?

Sharon Kimble

I'm developing a new site using mediawiki and want to use columns on the
MainPage in place of a table which isn't displaying things as I really
want. But how do I do it please? I can't find any reference to columns
showing how its done in the mediawiki documentation, so I'm at a loss.
Can somebody please advise me?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

Re: How to set up and use columns?

Martin Urbanec
Hi Sharon,

if you mean multiple columns design there are only two ways I know. One is
to use tables. Look at en.wikipedia.org (the mainpage) for real example.
Docs are at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables->.

Another way is to insert HTML <div> tags. You may use inline CSS styling
(<div style="css">content of the div</div>) or insert CSS to
MediaWiki:Common.css in your wiki and declare some classes that way. You
may also use MediaWiki:Vector.css if you wish to set some CSS just for one
skin (replace Vector by the name of the skin). If you change .css to .js,
you'll edit JavaScript.

Best,
Martin

---
Martin Urbanec

ne 2. 4. 2017 v 12:33 odesílatel Sharon Kimble <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> I'm developing a new site using mediawiki and want to use columns on the
> MainPage in place of a table which isn't displaying things as I really
> want. But how do I do it please? I can't find any reference to columns
> showing how its done in the mediawiki documentation, so I'm at a loss.
> Can somebody please advise me?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.
> --
> A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
> TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
> DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
> Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

Re: How to set up and use columns?

chris tharp-2
Hi Sharon,

Look at extension: NamespaceHTML.

Also you may want to change the skin from the standard Vector to one that allows for greater design features. Any of the skins designed around Foundation Framework (Foreground & Foundation) and/or Bootstrap (Chameleon, Tweeki & others) should be easier to work with.

Sent from my iPad

chris tharp <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Look at extension: NamespaceHTML.
>
> Also you may want to change the skin from the standard Vector to one that allows for greater design
> features. Any of the skins designed around Foundation Framework (Foreground & Foundation) and/or
> Bootstrap (Chameleon, Tweeki & others) should be easier to work with.

Thanks for replying Chris.

I've set up foreground and am now using that, and it seems to be working
well so far. But I do have three little niggles -

- How can I get rid of 'From DrugFacts' under every level one heading
  please? Does anyone know please?

- There is a strange menu entry on the navbar 'Site statistics', but I
  didn't put it there and its not populated with anything. What is it
  supposed to do? How can I use it effectively please?

- How can I link to a section heading on a page from the sidebar please?

Thanks
Sharon.

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Apr 2, 2017, at 3:32 AM, Sharon Kimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I'm developing a new site using mediawiki and want to use columns on the
>> MainPage in place of a table which isn't displaying things as I really
>> want. But how do I do it please? I can't find any reference to columns
>> showing how its done in the mediawiki documentation, so I'm at a loss.
>> Can somebody please advise me?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sharon.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

Re: How to set up and use columns?

Bartosz Dziewoński
On 2017-04-06 03:29, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> - How can I get rid of 'From DrugFacts' under every level one heading
>   please? Does anyone know please?

You can change or remove this text by editing the page
"MediaWiki:Tagline" on your wiki.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 2017-04-06 03:29, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> - How can I get rid of 'From DrugFacts' under every level one heading
>>   please? Does anyone know please?
>
> You can change or remove this text by editing the page "MediaWiki:Tagline" on your wiki.

Ah right, thanks, that's working better :)