[MediaWiki-l] How to update all links including an anchor that changed

[MediaWiki-l] How to update all links including an anchor that changed

Ovidiu Feodorov

Hello,

MediaWiki allows anchor in links, which, once followed, lead to a
specific location in the target page. As an example
[[TargetPage#TargetAnchor]] directs the browser to <span
id="TargetAnchor"/> in TargetPage. This works great, until the target
anchor is modified. This is especially easy to do with headings, which
get anchors by default, and can be changed easily. Once the anchor is
changed, all links containing the old anchor become partially invalid:
they still lead to the right page, but the location in page is lost.

I am wondering if there is a way (extension, functionality, procedure)
to automatically update all links which contain a specific anchor, when
that anchor is modified.

As an intermediate step, a list of links containing a specific anchor
would help - can it be obtained somehow?

Thank you,
Ovidiu

Re: How to update all links including an anchor that changed

Bartosz Dziewoński
Neither of these currently exists. Links to anchors/sections are not
tracked in any way.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: How to update all links including an anchor that changed

Ovidiu Feodorov

Thank you for answering.

This would be a really useful feature. Currently, the equivalent manual
process is laborious and error-prone.

On 1/4/17 1:16 PM, Bartosz Dziewoński wrote:
> Neither of these currently exists. Links to anchors/sections are not
> tracked in any way.

Re: How to update all links including an anchor that changed

Tim Landscheidt
Ovidiu Feodorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This would be a really useful feature. Currently, the
> equivalent manual process is laborious and error-prone.

> […]

AFAIUI, the feature you are looking for is related to
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T18561 (I believe there
were other, similar RFEs, but I can't find them now).  You
could file an issue with your specific use case as a parent
of that task.

Tim