[MediaWiki-l] Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

[MediaWiki-l] Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Krabina Bernhard
Dear MediaWiki experts,

I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding thumbnailing. What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation produces thumbnails in a specified size.

What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
---------------------------
# Images und Thumbnails
$wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
$wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250

$wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array( 1280, 1024 ) );
$wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
---------------------------

In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded, there is an 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but there are some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px thumbnail.

If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any user sets his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be produced, but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.

Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded before the above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to redo thumbnails in my desired size?

cheers,
Bernhard

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Brian Wolff
Hi,

MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)

There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.

For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php

--
Brian

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear MediaWiki experts,
>
> I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding thumbnailing. What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation produces thumbnails in a specified size.
>
> What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
> ---------------------------
> # Images und Thumbnails
> $wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
> $wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250
>
> $wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array( 1280, 1024 ) );
> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
> ---------------------------
>
> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded, there is an 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but there are some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px thumbnail.
>
> If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any user sets his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be produced, but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.
>
> Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded before the above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to redo thumbnails in my desired size?
>
> cheers,
> Bernhard

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Brian Wolff
I should probably add to this, i believe (its been a while since i looked
at the code and i didnt double check), that in default generate thumbs on
parse mode, mediawiki will only generate the thumbs required at parse time
given the user options set for that parse. So if you are using an image
with default thumb size in a page, and there is a thumb size preference
that nobody uses, then that thumb size will never be generated.

--
bawolff

On Friday, July 28, 2017, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
> time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
> to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
> article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
> page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
> those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)
>
> There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
> rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
> handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
> created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
> creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
> generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
> reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.
>
> For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>> Dear MediaWiki experts,
>>
>> I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding
thumbnailing. What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation
produces thumbnails in a specified size.

>> What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
>> ---------------------------
>> # Images und Thumbnails
>> $wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250
>>
>> $wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array( 1280,
1024 ) );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded, there
is an 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but
there are some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px
thumbnail.

>> If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any user
sets his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be
produced, but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.

>> Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded
before the above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to
redo thumbnails in my desired size?

>> cheers,
>> Bernhard

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Robert Vogel
Hi Bernhard,

I believe bawolff's explanations to use the "thumb.php" (plus the 404 handler) as an entrypoint is probably the best approach. If you still need for some reason those files to be always available on the disk, it should be easy to write a maintenance script that runs over all the files in your repo and creates the desired thumb sizes. It can be done with MediaWiki framework functions (`wfFindFile($title)->createThumb( $width, $height )`). This could also be done within the "UploadComplete" [1] hook.

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/UploadComplete

--

Robert

________________________________
[...]

lists.wikimedia.org
MediaWiki-l MediaWiki announcements and site admin list. This is a multilingual list for help/support with running/configuring MediaWiki. It is intended for people ...

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Krabina Bernhard
Dear all,

thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

An additional question regarding thumbnailing: do thumbs ever get deleted by MediaWiki?
They probably get deleted once the image gets deleted. But other than that, do all generated thumbnails exist as long as the image exists?

cheers,
Bernhard

----- Am 29. Jul 2017 um 2:22 schrieb Brian Wolff [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
> time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
> to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
> article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
> page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
> those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)
>
> There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
> rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
> handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
> created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
> creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
> generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
> reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.
>
> For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear MediaWiki experts,
>>
>> I cannot really figure out the behaviour of MediaWiki regarding thumbnailing.
>> What I want to achieve is that my MediaWiki installation produces thumbnails in
>> a specified size.
>>
>> What I did after reading through several help pages is this:
>> ---------------------------
>> # Images und Thumbnails
>> $wgThumbLimits = array( 80, 250, 390 );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['thumbsize'] = 1; // thumb size 250
>>
>> $wgImageLimits = array( array( 80, 90 ), array( 800, 600 ), array( 1280, 1024 )
>> );
>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded, there is an
>> 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but there are
>> some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px thumbnail.
>>
>> If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any user sets
>> his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be produced,
>> but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.
>>
>> Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded before the
>> above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to redo thumbnails
>> in my desired size?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Bernhard

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Brian Wolff
Thumbnails will generally not be deleted except if an image is deleted,
overwritten with another file or purged (ie appending ?action=purge to the
file description page)

--
bawolff

On Monday, July 31, 2017, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> );
>>> $wgDefaultUserOptions['imagesize'] = 2; // image size 800, 600
>>> ---------------------------
>>>
>>> In my opinion this should guarantee that for every image uploaded,
there is an
>>> 80, 250 and 390px sized thumbnail. In many cases this is true, but
there are
>>> some cases were I can find a 100px thumbnail, but no 80px thumbnail.
>>>
>>> If I understand it correctly, this can perfectly be the case if any
user sets
>>> his/her preference to 100px. I don't mind so much extra sizes to be
produced,
>>> but I want to make sure that a 80px thumbnail is there.
>>>
>>> Maybe in the cases where it is not present the images were uploaded
before the
>>> above mentioned setting was made? But how can I get the wiki to redo

kghbln
Building up on this information:

I have once tried to switch from "regular thumb handling" to "404 thumb
handling" on an existing wiki and found that this does not work since as
a result no thumbs were rendered at all. Starting with "404 thumb
handling" on a fresh wiki however works fine. I have not dug into this
more but may it be that all existing thumbs have to be deleted to clear
the way for the new handling mode when switching the mode on wiki
already in use?

Cheers Karsten

Am 31.07.2017 um 15:52 schrieb Brian Wolff:

> Thumbnails will generally not be deleted except if an image is deleted,
> overwritten with another file or purged (ie appending ?action=purge to the
> file description page)
>
> --
> bawolff
>
> On Monday, July 31, 2017, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
>>
>> An additional question regarding thumbnailing: do thumbs ever get deleted
> by MediaWiki?
>> They probably get deleted once the image gets deleted. But other than
> that, do all generated thumbnails exist as long as the image exists?
>> cheers,
>> Bernhard
>>

>> ----- Am 29. Jul 2017 um 2:22 schrieb Brian Wolff [hidden email]:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> MediaWiki will by default only create image thumbs for needed sizes at
>>> time the size is used on a page. So for example when you add an image
>>> to a page, MW will create the thumbnail sizes needed to display an
>>> article. However, if the image is uploaded but never added to a normal
>>> page, then thumbnails for the image won't be generated (except for
>>> those needed on image description page, which are different sizes)
>>>
>>> There is a second mode mediawiki can operate in, where images are
>>> rendered on demand when someone views the image (so-called "404 thumb
>>> handling"). Wikimedia wikis use this mode. In this mode, thumbs are
>>> created on first view. Additionally in this mode, $wgImageLimits
>>> creates additional links on the image description page. This mode is
>>> generally more efficient (especially on page saves), and also more
>>> reliable in the event that there is a missing thumb.
>>>
>>> For information to set up 404-thumb rendering see
>>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brian

> thumbnailing.
> thumbnails in

> 1280, 1024 )

> there is an
> there are

> user sets
> produced,

> before the
> thumbnails

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Bill Traynor-2
Wouldn't deleting the thumb subfolder regenerate them on an as needed basis?

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Building up on this information:
>
> I have once tried to switch from "regular thumb handling" to "404 thumb
> handling" on an existing wiki and found that this does not work since as
> a result no thumbs were rendered at all. Starting with "404 thumb
> handling" on a fresh wiki however works fine. I have not dug into this
> more but may it be that all existing thumbs have to be deleted to clear
> the way for the new handling mode when switching the mode on wiki
> already in use?
>
> Cheers Karsten
>

> Am 31.07.2017 um 15:52 schrieb Brian Wolff:
>> Thumbnails will generally not be deleted except if an image is deleted,
>> overwritten with another file or purged (ie appending ?action=purge to the
>> file description page)
>>
>> --
>> bawolff
>>
>> On Monday, July 31, 2017, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> An additional question regarding thumbnailing: do thumbs ever get deleted
>> by MediaWiki?
>>> They probably get deleted once the image gets deleted. But other than
>> that, do all generated thumbnails exist as long as the image exists?
>>> cheers,
>>> Bernhard

>> thumbnailing.
>> thumbnails in

>> 1280, 1024 )

>> there is an
>> there are

>> user sets
>> produced,

>> before the
>> thumbnails

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Greg Rundlett (freephile)
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 10:51 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Building up on this information:
>
> I have once tried to switch from "regular thumb handling" to "404 thumb
> handling" on an existing wiki and found that this does not work since as
> a result no thumbs were rendered at all. Starting with "404 thumb
> handling" on a fresh wiki however works fine. I have not dug into this
> more but may it be that all existing thumbs have to be deleted to clear
> the way for the new handling mode when switching the mode on wiki
> already in use?
>
> Cheers Karsten

I haven't tried it, but would think that you can switch to using  a 404
handler.  However, the documentation says that you should also set
$wgGenerateThumbnailOnParse to false. [1]

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Thumb.php

Greg Rundlett
https://QualityBox.us
https://freephile.org

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

Brian Wolff
It should be fine to switch over an existing wiki, and ive done it before.
I think its more likely something else was wrong, some config missing (if
you had custom wgLocalFileRepos the config changes. If you have custom
wgForeignFileRepos things may get more complicated. Older versions of
mediawiki had an issue with wgUseInstantCommons being incompatible with 404
rendering, but that should be fixed now) or some weird incompatibility with
something else.

I know you wouldnt have them anymore, but mediawiki can be configured to
generate logs that can be used to debug this sort of thing, and going
directly to the thumb file in 404 rendering mode can also give helpful
error messages.

--
bawolff

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Building up on this information:
>
> I have once tried to switch from "regular thumb handling" to "404 thumb
> handling" on an existing wiki and found that this does not work since as
> a result no thumbs were rendered at all. Starting with "404 thumb
> handling" on a fresh wiki however works fine. I have not dug into this
> more but may it be that all existing thumbs have to be deleted to clear
> the way for the new handling mode when switching the mode on wiki
> already in use?
>
> Cheers Karsten
>

> Am 31.07.2017 um 15:52 schrieb Brian Wolff:
>> Thumbnails will generally not be deleted except if an image is deleted,
>> overwritten with another file or purged (ie appending ?action=purge to
the

>> file description page)
>>
>> --
>> bawolff
>>
>> On Monday, July 31, 2017, Krabina Bernhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> An additional question regarding thumbnailing: do thumbs ever get
deleted

>> by MediaWiki?
>>> They probably get deleted once the image gets deleted. But other than
>> that, do all generated thumbnails exist as long as the image exists?
>>> cheers,
>>> Bernhard

>> thumbnailing.
>> thumbnails in

>> 1280, 1024 )

>> there is an
>> there are

>> user sets
>> produced,

>> before the
>> thumbnails

Re: Image thumbnailing in MediaWiki

kghbln
Oops, all your mails went directly to the spam folder. Sorry for the
belated reply and thank you for your suggestions and feedback.

I should definitively give it a shot again and in case of failure
together with error logging. :) Fresh wikis are painless so I guess that
I know how to set up a working handler.

I remember a 1.23 giving me pain with no thumbs rendered but this one
was the source of a foreign file repo. So this may have been the reason.
Moreover I remember other issues with file handling in that branch. Also
there was a 1.27 with no thumbs rendered for the files uploaded before
the switch but working for files uploaded after the switch. That's
basically why I got the idea that existing thumbs will probably have to
be cleared. That wiki is now on 1.29 and working cool though.

Cheers Karsten