[MediaWiki-l] Images and MediaWiki

WJhonson
I have my own copy of the MediaWiki software running my own website.

Do I *need* to upload images in order to have a jpg appear on a page in my wiki, or can I link to a remote image and have it appear?  If I can link to a remote image, how do I do that?  Does someone have an example syntax?

Re: Images and MediaWiki

WJhonson
I got it! ( I think)
I set the allow external links to true in my localsettings, even though it wasn't even present there.
It seems to be working now, even though some of my jpg links are apparently dead, others are alive

I have my own copy of the MediaWiki software running my own website.

Do I *need* to upload images in order to have a jpg appear on a page in my wiki, or can I link to a remote image and have it appear?  If I can link to a remote image, how do I do that?  Does someone have an example syntax?

Re: Images and MediaWiki

Platonides
On 11/12/12 04:33, Wjhonson wrote:
> I got it! ( I think)
> I set the allow external links to true in my localsettings, even though it wasn't even present there.

There are lots of configurations. You can copy them to LocalSettings.php
when you want to modify them. If you want a list of settings to tweak,
you can look at includes/DefaultSettings.php (that will still miss
configuration keys added by extensions, though) but do not edit that file.

> It seems to be working now, even though some of my jpg links are apparently dead, others are alive
If you hotlink from other sites, you rely on that other site to serve
the files.

Also, if you want to get the images from another MediaWiki, there is the
InstantCommons feature (for Wikimedia Commons, setup a normal foreign
repo for another wiki).