[MediaWiki-l] Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

[MediaWiki-l] Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

kghbln
Heiya,

today I wanted to import an XML file to a wiki. The import failed
because I did not add an interwiki prefix to the new and probably nifty
interwiki prefix field which I now got in MW 1.31.x for Special:Import.
The respective help page linked [0] does not mention this new interwiki
prefix field.

So what do I have to enter here?: The interwiki prefix of the wiki I
exported the XML file from or the interwiki prefix of the wiki I import
the XML file to, an arbitrary string or ... What do I have to do if the
export was made from the same wiki I want to import the file to (This
case is how I acutally stumbled into this.)?

Thanks for your time and cheers,

Karsten

[0] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Import

Re: Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

kghbln
Heiya,

anybody with a clue? An educated guess would be to insert the interwiki
prefix of the wiki I got the content from. However it may not be easy to
determine the interwiki prefix for an arbitrary wiki, e.g. not run by
WMF. Or do I just set up an an internal interwiki prefix on my wiki for
an external wiki an use this as an identifier for it. Hmm ...

Anyways I found the same question posted on German Wikipedia. Needless
to say: unanswered.

Cheers Karsten

Am 13.05.2018 um 11:34 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya,
>
> today I wanted to import an XML file to a wiki. The import failed
> because I did not add an interwiki prefix to the new and probably nifty
> interwiki prefix field which I now got in MW 1.31.x for Special:Import.
> The respective help page linked [0] does not mention this new interwiki
> prefix field.
>
> So what do I have to enter here?: The interwiki prefix of the wiki I
> exported the XML file from or the interwiki prefix of the wiki I import
> the XML file to, an arbitrary string or ... What do I have to do if the
> export was made from the same wiki I want to import the file to (This
> case is how I acutally stumbled into this.)?
>
> Thanks for your time and cheers,
>
> Karsten
>
> [0] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Import

Re: Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

Bartosz Dziewoński
On 2018-05-16 22:07, [[kgh]] wrote:
> An educated guess would be to insert the interwiki
> prefix of the wiki I got the content from.

This is correct.

Unfortunately I do not know the answers to your other questions.

Note that it doesn't have to be a valid interwiki, it can be just any
string that will be prefixed to the usernames in the imported edits.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

Bartosz Dziewoński
For reference, this was implemented in this patch:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/386625/

Perhaps you can find an answer there, or in the linked Phabricator tasks
(or at least find someone who will know the answer).

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Importing XML files into MW 1.31.x

kghbln
Heiya Bartosz,

thanks a lot for you help and pointer. Knowing that this relates
primarily to the users and the their attribution sheds a lot of light. I
will have a closer look, test a bit and document it.

Cheers and thank you!

Karsten