[MediaWiki-l] Installing Mediawiki

John Doe-27
So I have been primarily using just the core mediawiki setup. But as time
passes and I see more and more advanced systems integrated into mediawiki,
getting a "Standard" or common setup of mediawiki is getting harder and
harder for basic users to deploy. We are now getting into requiring
restbase, parsoid, composer and probably a few other systems that I am not
recalling at the moment.

What does the community think about getting something together that
simplifies/automates this? What I am thinking is something that could be
used on a newly created box that installs and configures the needed
components in a "standard" configuration?

Right now the setup is less than straight forward, you go to add
Extension:Math (which has been a simple project until recently). Where you
are told it needs Restbase, and mathiod. We actually include the
wording *Unfortunately,
there is no well tested guide on installing Mathoid
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Mathoid> and Restbase
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Restbase> to work with
the Math extension *If we don't even have a good guide why have we
converted a very high use extension to that? We then forward them to docs
spread out between mediawiki.org wikitech, and the vendor's website.

More and more users are hitting brick walls and giving up because they
cannot figure out how to get these different systems talking to each other.
Ideally we would have install/config scripts for at least Debian and Ubuntu
systems with CentOS probably being the next highest used distro.

Re: Installing Mediawiki

Gabriel Wicke-3
John,

as part of a larger effort this year to move production service deploys to
containers, we in the Services team have started work towards a
container-based development environment, which I hope will also eventually
provide a convenient way to distribute a fully functional MediaWiki system
for other uses. Current work is a continuation of mediawiki-containers, and
early alpha setup instructions are currently available in this README:

https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-containers/blob/master/README.k8s.md

Currently, this sets up MediaWiki with VisualEditor, Math & a few other
extensions, MariaDB, RESTBase, Parsoid, Mathoid, EventBus, Kafka,
ChangeProp, and Citoid, all in a Kubernetes cluster managed by minikube.
Our current focus is on building the tooling for development use cases
(such as enabling a quick edit - test cycle), but much of the work towards
minimizing resource consumption will benefit third party installs as well.

Gabriel

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I have been primarily using just the core mediawiki setup. But as time
> passes and I see more and more advanced systems integrated into mediawiki,
> getting a "Standard" or common setup of mediawiki is getting harder and
> harder for basic users to deploy. We are now getting into requiring
> restbase, parsoid, composer and probably a few other systems that I am not
> recalling at the moment.
>
> What does the community think about getting something together that
> simplifies/automates this? What I am thinking is something that could be
> used on a newly created box that installs and configures the needed
> components in a "standard" configuration?
>
> Right now the setup is less than straight forward, you go to add
> Extension:Math (which has been a simple project until recently). Where you
> are told it needs Restbase, and mathiod. We actually include the
> wording *Unfortunately,
> there is no well tested guide on installing Mathoid
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Mathoid> and Restbase
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Restbase> to work with
> the Math extension *If we don't even have a good guide why have we
> converted a very high use extension to that? We then forward them to docs
> spread out between mediawiki.org wikitech, and the vendor's website.
>
> More and more users are hitting brick walls and giving up because they
> cannot figure out how to get these different systems talking to each other.
> Ideally we would have install/config scripts for at least Debian and Ubuntu
> systems with CentOS probably being the next highest used distro.

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Installing Mediawiki

John Doe-27
Does this require multiple boxes or can it be deployed on a single system?

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:31 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this require multiple boxes or can it be deployed on a single system?

The current default setup runs all these containers on a single machine,
using minikube <https://github.com/kubernetes/minikube>. The current target
for this dev environment is to use less than ~2G memory overall. On OSX and
Windows, minikube runs the containers inside a virtual machine. On Linux,
there is now the option of either using a VM as well, or using native
docker containers. The native mode lowers the overheads significantly. The
entire cluster can start up within seconds.