[MediaWiki-l] Installing

Steve VanSlyck
The file "INSTALL" says, "Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive
either on your server, or on your local machine and upload the directory
tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to something nice, like "wiki,"
since it'll be in your URL."

Shouldn't that be "w" instead of "wiki"?

Re: Installing

John Doe-27
wiki is just a suggestion, you could call it purplepeopleeater and it
wouldnt make a difference /wiki/ is just short simple and to the point
where /w/ can be too short

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The file "INSTALL" says, "Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive
> either on your server, or on your local machine and upload the directory
> tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to something nice, like "wiki," since
> it'll be in your URL."
>
> Shouldn't that be "w" instead of "wiki"?

Re: Installing

Steve VanSlyck
But isn't the recommend method to use /w/ as Wikepedia does so that the
scriptpath and articlepath don't point to the same directory?

On 1/27/2013 13.49, John wrote:

> wiki is just a suggestion, you could call it purplepeopleeater and it
> wouldnt make a difference /wiki/ is just short simple and to the point
> where /w/ can be too short
>

> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The file "INSTALL" says, "Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive
>> either on your server, or on your local machine and upload the directory
>> tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to something nice, like "wiki," since
>> it'll be in your URL."
>>
>> Shouldn't that be "w" instead of "wiki"?

Re: Installing

Alexis Moinet-2
I think the short answer is: "only if you intend to use short/pretty URLs".

Besides in the case of short URLs it can be any values as long as $wgScriptPath and $wgArticlePath are different. "w" and "wiki" are just the default values used by wikimedia and in all the examples (call them "recommended values" if you will)

If you don't use short URLs/rewrite rules, I think you don't have to set $wgArticlePath (I even believe that you shouldn't but I might be dead wrong) and that it defaults to $wgScriptPath or something derived from on $wgScriptPath

I may be wrong though. Anyone ?

Alexis

On 27/01/13 19:51, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> But isn't the recommend method to use /w/ as Wikepedia does so that the scriptpath and articlepath don't point to the same directory?
>
> On 1/27/2013 13.49, John wrote:
>> wiki is just a suggestion, you could call it purplepeopleeater and it
>> wouldnt make a difference /wiki/ is just short simple and to the point
>> where /w/ can be too short
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> The file "INSTALL" says, "Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive
>>> either on your server, or on your local machine and upload the directory
>>> tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to something nice, like "wiki," since
>>> it'll be in your URL."
>>>
>>> Shouldn't that be "w" instead of "wiki"?

Re: Installing

Platonides
On 29/01/13 12:06, Alexis Moinet wrote:
> I think the short answer is: "only if you intend to use short/pretty URLs".
>
> Besides in the case of short URLs it can be any values as long as $wgScriptPath and $wgArticlePath are different. "w" and "wiki" are just the default values used by wikimedia and in all the examples (call them "recommended values" if you will)
>
> If you don't use short URLs/rewrite rules, I think you don't have to set $wgArticlePath (I even believe that you shouldn't but I might be dead wrong) and that it defaults to $wgScriptPath or something derived from on $wgScriptPath
>
> I may be wrong though. Anyone ?
>
> Alexis

The box below was refering to that, although perhaps not being too clear
about what it was refering to.

I have sent a change in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/47298

Re: Installing

Steve VanSlyck
In eether case, the INSTALL instructions in the distributions should be
clear about options (not suggesting to use "wiki" if a major option
under the manual suggests the use of "w")* and should not be in conflict
with the online manual.

Is there someone on-list with the necessary magic powers to fix it?

*I tried to update the manual to deal with the "wiki" option and my
suggested fix, along with a number of typo fixes, was rejected out of hand.

On 14/03/13 01:53, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
> In eether case, the INSTALL instructions in the distributions should be clear about options (not suggesting to use "wiki" if a major option under the manual suggests the use of "w")* and should not be in conflict with the online manual.
>
> Is there someone on-list with the necessary magic powers to fix it?
>
> *I tried to update the manual to deal with the "wiki" option and my suggested fix, along with a number of typo fixes, was rejected out of hand.

I'm sorry but I fail to see how this (from the INSTALL instructions):

> Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive either on your server, or on your
> local machine and upload the directory tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to
> something nice, like "wiki", since it'll be in your URL.
>
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>   |  Hint: If you plan to use a fancy URL-rewriting scheme to prettify your  |
>   |  URLs, you should put the files in a *different* directory from the      |
>   |  virtual path where page names will appear.                              |
>   |                                                                          |
>   |    See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL                   |

Re: Installing

Platonides

It was changed in https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/47298 to

> Decompress the MediaWiki installation archive either on your server, or on your
> local machine and upload the directory tree. Rename it from "mediawiki-1.x.x" to
> something nice, like "wiki", since it will be appearing in your URL,
> ie. /wiki/index.php/Article.
>
>   +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>   |  Note: If you plan to use a fancy URL-rewriting scheme to prettify your  |
>   |  URLs, such as http://www.example.com/wiki/Article, you should put the   |
>   |  files in a *different* directory from the virtual path where page names |
>   |  will appear. It is common in this case to use w as the folder name and  |
>   |  /wiki/ as the virtual article path where your articles pretend to be.   |
>   |    See: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL                   |

Re: [MediaWiki-l] Installing

marylo
Hello,
My name is Mary. I will like to be your friend. Contact me via Email
(simplemeri@yahoo.com)
So that i will send you my photos and more communications there.