[MediaWiki-l] Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

Fannon
Hello!

I'd like to introduce a project that I've been working on for a while:

https://github.com/Fannon/mwbot

MWBotis a Node.js module for interacting with the MediaWiki API. The
library makes use of the Promise Pattern and behind the scene, the request
library.

The design goal is to be as flexible as possible, with the ability to
overwrite options and behaviour at any point. The library also lets you
freely choose the abstraction/convenience level on which you want to work.
You can use convenience functions that bundles (with concurrency) of
multiple API requests into one function, but you can also handcraft your
own MediaWiki API and pure HTTP requests.


The library has extensive test coverage and is written in modern ECMAScript
2015.
Maybe it is useful to some people.

Have a nice day!
Simon
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

Federico Leva (Nemo)
You may want to add to the list
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_code , maybe with a short
sentence explaining its features compared to the alternatives.

Nemo

_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

Fannon
Hello Nemo,

thanks for the hint!

Best,
Simon

2016-09-13 12:25 GMT+02:00 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:

> You may want to add to the list https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki
> /API:Client_code , maybe with a short sentence explaining its features
> compared to the alternatives.
>
> Nemo
>
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

Quim Gil-2
In reply to this post by Fannon
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Simon Heimler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to introduce a project that I've been working on for a while:
>
> https://github.com/Fannon/mwbot
>
> MWBotis a Node.js module for interacting with the MediaWiki API. The
> library makes use of the Promise Pattern and behind the scene, the request
> library.
>

Thank you Simon! I am interested in knowing more about your motivation to
work on this project. What itch are you willing to scratch, or is this part
of a professional project? What use are you making of this library, and
could you provide examples of other possible uses?

I am sure I am not the only one interested.  :)



> The design goal is to be as flexible as possible, with the ability to
> overwrite options and behaviour at any point. The library also lets you
> freely choose the abstraction/convenience level on which you want to work.
> You can use convenience functions that bundles (with concurrency) of
> multiple API requests into one function, but you can also handcraft your
> own MediaWiki API and pure HTTP requests.
>
>
> The library has extensive test coverage and is written in modern ECMAScript
> 2015.
> Maybe it is useful to some people.
>
> Have a nice day!
> Simon
>

--
Quim Gil
Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Introducing mwbot, a Node.js library/bot for MediaWiki

Fannon
Hello!

yes, I'm using this for a professional project. I've been using the nodemw
library before, but it failed me in some instances and didn't have an error
and concurrency to my liking. So I decided to write my own library and base
it on the promise pattern from ground up. I also like to keep my
flexibility, so I prefer to have abstractions layered and completely
optional. I also chose too stay closer to the bare bone of the MediaWiki
API to reduce breaking incompatibilites in the future.

Some of those decisions are of course subjective! Feel free to like them or
not ;)

Currently I'm using the library for typical bot uses like auto-generating
MediaWiki content, data-importing and various little, modular CLI utilities.

Best,
Simon

2016-09-15 9:15 GMT+02:00 Quim Gil <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Simon Heimler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'd like to introduce a project that I've been working on for a while:
> >
> > https://github.com/Fannon/mwbot
> >
> > MWBotis a Node.js module for interacting with the MediaWiki API. The
> > library makes use of the Promise Pattern and behind the scene, the
> request
> > library.
> >
>
> Thank you Simon! I am interested in knowing more about your motivation to
> work on this project. What itch are you willing to scratch, or is this part
> of a professional project? What use are you making of this library, and
> could you provide examples of other possible uses?
>
> I am sure I am not the only one interested.  :)
>
>
>
> > The design goal is to be as flexible as possible, with the ability to
> > overwrite options and behaviour at any point. The library also lets you
> > freely choose the abstraction/convenience level on which you want to
> work.
> > You can use convenience functions that bundles (with concurrency) of
> > multiple API requests into one function, but you can also handcraft your
> > own MediaWiki API and pure HTTP requests.
> >
> >
> > The library has extensive test coverage and is written in modern
> ECMAScript
> > 2015.
> > Maybe it is useful to some people.
> >
> > Have a nice day!
> > Simon
> >
>
> --
> Quim Gil
> Engineering Community Manager @ Wikimedia Foundation
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l