[MediaWiki-l] Is there something wrong with the Special:Export page?

[MediaWiki-l] Is there something wrong with the Special:Export page?

Reem Al-Kashif
Hello!

I hope you are having a good start to the new year. In November 2018, I
downloaded hundreds of English Wikipedia pages from the mainspace using the
Special:Export <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Export> page for
textual analysis. I tried downloading more today in the same fashion, but
the exported XML files do not have the content of the pages. Maybe I am
doing something wrong or missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

I also have a question, if you may, about the Special:Export page. Does it
work on other Wikipedia language editions (e.g. Arabic)? When I used it in
November 2018 to download pages from the mainspace in Arabic, I got
content-less XML files.

Best,
Reem
--

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Is there something wrong with the Special:Export page?

Ariel Glenn WMF
On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 4:32 PM Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I hope you are having a good start to the new year. In November 2018, I
> downloaded hundreds of English Wikipedia pages from the mainspace using the
> Special:Export <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Export> page for
> textual analysis. I tried downloading more today in the same fashion, but
> the exported XML files do not have the content of the pages. Maybe I am
> doing something wrong or missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you say more about a sample page that fails to export, and what
settings you used? I just tested it as a logged in user for a sample page
and got the expected content.

I also have a question, if you may, about the Special:Export page. Does it
> work on other Wikipedia language editions (e.g. Arabic)? When I used it in
> November 2018 to download pages from the mainspace in Arabic, I got
> content-less XML files.

Yes, it works on any project for any language.

Ariel

Re: Is there something wrong with the Special:Export page?

Reem Al-Kashif
Hello all!

Many thanks to Ariel for her help. We have been talking off-list and
trouble-shooting. Thanks again! :)
Well, I found the solution but it is a bit embarrassing. However, I decided
to save future people from the same embarrassment by writing to the list :D
I was using the MediaWiki Special:Export page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Export> not the Wikipedia
Special:Export Page <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Export>...

Ehm.. learning curve.. learning curve.

Have a great weekend.

Best,
Reem

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 at 17:39, Ariel Glenn WMF <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 4:32 PM Reem Al-Kashif <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I hope you are having a good start to the new year. In November 2018, I
> > downloaded hundreds of English Wikipedia pages from the mainspace using
> the
> > Special:Export <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Export> page for
> > textual analysis. I tried downloading more today in the same fashion, but
> > the exported XML files do not have the content of the pages. Maybe I am
> > doing something wrong or missing something. Any help would be
> appreciated.
> >

> Can you say more about a sample page that fails to export, and what
> settings you used? I just tested it as a logged in user for a sample page
> and got the expected content.
>
> I also have a question, if you may, about the Special:Export page. Does it
> > work on other Wikipedia language editions (e.g. Arabic)? When I used it
> in
> > November 2018 to download pages from the mainspace in Arabic, I got
> > content-less XML files.
> >

> Yes, it works on any project for any language.
>
> Ariel

*Kind regards,Reem Al-Kashif*