[MediaWiki-l] Large debug file

John Doe-27
I just upgraded my wiki to 1.30 and am running refreshlinks.php and Im
getting a massive debug.log file consisting of:

RX <== getStatus
TX ==> return
RX <== return

Over and over again (about 600mb worth so far)

Re: Large debug file

Brian Wolff
Debug logging is generally meant for debugging issues as they come up,
not for usage in production - especially when set to record all debug
events.

If you really want to keep debug logging on all the time, I'd
recommend adjusting the severity of events that are recorded to avoid
huge files - for example, you can see what stuff WMF logs by looking
at $wmgMonologChannels in
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/InitialiseSettings.php.txt (Wikimedia
has a rather complex logging config to make it all work with
logstash). At the very least it probably makes sense to disable
running debug logging when running maintenance scripts that do
repetitive actions over and over again very quickly.

--
Brian

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 5:04 AM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just upgraded my wiki to 1.30 and am running refreshlinks.php and Im
> getting a massive debug.log file consisting of:
>
> RX <== getStatus
> TX ==> return
> RX <== return
>
> Over and over again (about 600mb worth so far)

Re: Large debug file

Tim Starling-2
On 05/08/17 15:04, John wrote:
> I just upgraded my wiki to 1.30 and am running refreshlinks.php and Im
> getting a massive debug.log file consisting of:
>
> RX <== getStatus
> TX ==> return
> RX <== return
>
> Over and over again (about 600mb worth so far)

That is the Scribunto standalone engine debug log, which is disabled
by default, for good reason. In fact, the method to enable it is
undocumented, so I'm not sure how you managed to enable it and then
forget about it. In LocalSettings.php you would have something like

$wgScribuntoEngineConf['luastandalone']['debug'] = true;

Delete that line.

-- Tim Starling