[MediaWiki-l] Limited External Mirror

Bryan Hilderbrand
Hi all,

I have a question that may be similar to G. Moko's post on December 19th
regarding "Dump of Recent Changes".

I have a private enterprise wiki that currently has some external users
that have been granted read-only access. I have been asked to remove these
external users from the wiki, but they need access to some of the content.

What is the best way to handle this? Extensions? Separate wiki that
automatically updates from the main using dumps (like G. Moko's post) and
some filtering (flagged pages, etc.)?

I'm considering adding the collection extension [1]. The content that needs
to be shared could be added and maintained by the collection and
daily/weekly pdf books could be distributed (possibly via Dropbox).

I welcome any thoughts on or suggestions.  Thanks!

Regards,
Bryan

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

Re: Limited External Mirror

Martin Urbanec
Hello,

just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100% secure
but it should work. You may want to have a look at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .

Best,
Martin Urbanec
(cs.wikipedia)

út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question that may be similar to G. Moko's post on December 19th
> regarding "Dump of Recent Changes".
>
> I have a private enterprise wiki that currently has some external users
> that have been granted read-only access. I have been asked to remove these
> external users from the wiki, but they need access to some of the content.
>
> What is the best way to handle this? Extensions? Separate wiki that
> automatically updates from the main using dumps (like G. Moko's post) and
> some filtering (flagged pages, etc.)?
>
> I'm considering adding the collection extension [1]. The content that needs
> to be shared could be added and maintained by the collection and
> daily/weekly pdf books could be distributed (possibly via Dropbox).
>
> I welcome any thoughts on or suggestions.  Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Bryan
>
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

Re: Limited External Mirror

Martin Urbanec
Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written above. This
will require a) having the shared content public b) having the external
users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
account-removing because they should not have access to the entrie wiki,
but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown allows you to
accomplish such thing.

Martin

út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <
[hidden email]> napsal:

> Hello,
>
> just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100%
> secure but it should work. You may want to have a look at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .
>
> Best,
> Martin Urbanec
> (cs.wikipedia)
>
> út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]>
> napsal:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question that may be similar to G. Moko's post on December 19th
>> regarding "Dump of Recent Changes".
>>
>> I have a private enterprise wiki that currently has some external users
>> that have been granted read-only access. I have been asked to remove these
>> external users from the wiki, but they need access to some of the content.
>>
>> What is the best way to handle this? Extensions? Separate wiki that
>> automatically updates from the main using dumps (like G. Moko's post) and
>> some filtering (flagged pages, etc.)?
>>
>> I'm considering adding the collection extension [1]. The content that
>> needs
>> to be shared could be added and maintained by the collection and
>> daily/weekly pdf books could be distributed (possibly via Dropbox).
>>
>> I welcome any thoughts on or suggestions.  Thanks!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bryan
>>
>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

Re: Limited External Mirror

chris tharp-2
Martin,

A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki 1.26. If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no longer work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL, were good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be totally open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users, seems to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written above. This
> will require a) having the shared content public b) having the external
> users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
> account-removing because they should not have access to the entrie wiki,
> but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown allows you to
> accomplish such thing.
>
> Martin
>
> út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <
> [hidden email]> napsal:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100%
>> secure but it should work. You may want to have a look at
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin Urbanec
>> (cs.wikipedia)
>>
>> út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]>
>> napsal:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a question that may be similar to G. Moko's post on December 19th
>>> regarding "Dump of Recent Changes".
>>>
>>> I have a private enterprise wiki that currently has some external users
>>> that have been granted read-only access. I have been asked to remove these
>>> external users from the wiki, but they need access to some of the content.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to handle this? Extensions? Separate wiki that
>>> automatically updates from the main using dumps (like G. Moko's post) and
>>> some filtering (flagged pages, etc.)?
>>>
>>> I'm considering adding the collection extension [1]. The content that
>>> needs
>>> to be shared could be added and maintained by the collection and
>>> daily/weekly pdf books could be distributed (possibly via Dropbox).
>>>
>>> I welcome any thoughts on or suggestions.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bryan
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

Re: Limited External Mirror

Martin Urbanec
Heff, ok, thanks then. It is propagated as "stable" at it's MediaWiki
page...

Martin

út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:39 odesílatel chris tharp <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> Martin,
>
> A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki 1.26.
> If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no longer
> work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL, were
> good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be totally
> open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users, seems
> to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written above. This
> > will require a) having the shared content public b) having the external
> > users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
> > account-removing because they should not have access to the entrie wiki,
> > but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown allows you to
> > accomplish such thing.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <
> > [hidden email]> napsal:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100%
> >> secure but it should work. You may want to have a look at
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Martin Urbanec
> >> (cs.wikipedia)
> >>
> >> út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand
> <[hidden email]>

> 19th

> these
> content.

> and

Re: Limited External Mirror

Amanda Quad
Just echoing what Chris said below, although I do know of at least one exception.
https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AccessControl still technically works with MediaWiki 1.26+, however it is known to be far from perfect at accomplishing its goal and to potentially have serious flaws that could breach privacy.
Instead of using an extension like this, I suggest setting $wgGroupPermissions[‘*’][‘read’] = false and $wgGroupPermissions[‘user’][‘read’] = false in LocalSettings.php. Then define a new user group that you want to have read access to the wiki and grant the read right to that group, like so:
$wgGroupPermissions[‘newgroupname’][‘read’] = true;
Unfortunately, Chris is right that the MediaWiki developers don’t like partial access restrictions. Either it’s all open or it’s all closed.
— Amanda

On Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 5:38 PM, chris tharp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Martin,

A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki 1.26. If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no longer work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL, were good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be totally open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users, seems to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written above. This
> will require a) having the shared content public b) having the external
> users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
> account-removing because they should not have access to the entrie wiki,
> but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown allows you to
> accomplish such thing.
>
> Martin
>
> út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <
> [hidden email]> napsal:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100%
>> secure but it should work. You may want to have a look at
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin Urbanec
>> (cs.wikipedia)
>>
>> út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]>
>> napsal:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a question that may be similar to G. Moko's post on December 19th
>>> regarding "Dump of Recent Changes".
>>>
>>> I have a private enterprise wiki that currently has some external users
>>> that have been granted read-only access. I have been asked to remove these
>>> external users from the wiki, but they need access to some of the content.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to handle this? Extensions? Separate wiki that
>>> automatically updates from the main using dumps (like G. Moko's post) and
>>> some filtering (flagged pages, etc.)?
>>>
>>> I'm considering adding the collection extension [1]. The content that
>>> needs
>>> to be shared could be added and maintained by the collection and
>>> daily/weekly pdf books could be distributed (possibly via Dropbox).
>>>
>>> I welcome any thoughts on or suggestions.  Thanks!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Bryan
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection

Re: Limited External Mirror

John Doe-27
Please note that the mediawiki devs have two positions, completely open, or
completely closed wiki. Mediawiki was never intended to be a CMS which is
why most access control extensions are hacks and work ok at best, and are
not given as much scrutiny/review as other systems

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM Amanda Quad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just echoing what Chris said below, although I do know of at least one
> exception.
> https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:AccessControl still technically
> works with MediaWiki 1.26+, however it is known to be far from perfect at
> accomplishing its goal and to potentially have serious flaws that could
> breach privacy.
> Instead of using an extension like this, I suggest setting
> $wgGroupPermissions[‘*’][‘read’] = false and
> $wgGroupPermissions[‘user’][‘read’] = false in LocalSettings.php. Then
> define a new user group that you want to have read access to the wiki and
> grant the read right to that group, like so:
> $wgGroupPermissions[‘newgroupname’][‘read’] = true;
> Unfortunately, Chris is right that the MediaWiki developers don’t like
> partial access restrictions. Either it’s all open or it’s all closed.
> — Amanda
>

> On Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 5:38 PM, chris tharp <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Martin,
>
> A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki 1.26.
> If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no longer
> work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL, were
> good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be totally
> open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users, seems
> to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written above. This
> > will require a) having the shared content public b) having the external
> > users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
> > account-removing because they should not have access to the entrie wiki,
> > but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown allows you to
> > accomplish such thing.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <
> > [hidden email]> napsal:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> just a info: MediaWiki is not a CMS but a Wiki. This may be not 100%
> >> secure but it should work. You may want to have a look at
> >> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown .
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Martin Urbanec
> >> (cs.wikipedia)
> >>
> >> út 26. 12. 2017 v 22:39 odesílatel Bryan Hilderbrand
> <[hidden email]>

> 19th

> these
> content.

> and

Re: Limited External Mirror

kghbln
Yes, but the info box also states 1.23 - 1.26. So there is a version
constraint for stable. This is however just a side note.

I believe the extension as such is "fixed" now however MediaWiki core
has an issue since REL1_27 that makes it not working at a 100 percent.
I am on my knees begging for a fix for a year now. However I am one of
the very few so there is no real "pressure" apart from the fact that it
is among the most popular extensions. Toi, toi, toi ... Sadly I am not
able to propose a change-set myself since I lack the knowledge to do
so.

Do not get me wrong: A) If one needs 100% only a separate wiki instance
will help. B) Lockdown already covers a lot in most use cases in an
acceptable manner so A was not required in most cases I have
encountered so far.

Cheers Karsten

Am Dienstag, den 26.12.2017, 22:42 +0000 schrieb Martin Urbanec:

> Heff, ok, thanks then. It is propagated as "stable" at it's MediaWiki
> page...
>
> Martin
>
> út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:39 odesílatel chris tharp <[hidden email]
> >
> napsal:
>

> > Martin,
> >
> > A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki
> > 1.26.
> > If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no
> > longer
> > work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL,
> > were
> > good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be
> > totally
> > open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users,
> > seems
> > to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >

> > > On Dec 26, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Martin Urbanec <martin.urbanec@wikim
> > > edia.cz>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > Just a note, because it may not be clear from what I written
> > > above. This
> > > will require a) having the shared content public b) having the
> > > external
> > > users accounts on the wiki. I beleive that you was asked for
> > > account-removing because they should not have access to the
> > > entrie wiki,
> > > but only to limited subset of pages. The extension Lockdown
> > > allows you to
> > > accomplish such thing.
> > >
> > > Martin
> > >
> > > út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:17 odesílatel Martin Urbanec <

> > <[hidden email]>

> > 19th

> > these

> > content.

> > and

Re: Limited External Mirror

Bryan Hilderbrand
Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses.  I suppose I'll try the Collection extension
for now unless someone knows of a slick solution.

Martin, I agree about a Wiki not being a CMS and I'm not thrilled to be
trying to limit access, but it's only a really small subset of the
articles.  I am running MW1.28 though, so it appears the Lockdown extension
isn't available to me (it has been updated to show unmaintained vs. stable
now, I'm guessing after someone read this thread).

Chris and John, I've found it to actually be a blessing that it isn't
straightforward to provide discrete access control in an enterprise Wiki.
If it were easy, what would the ideal lockdown strategy be?  Engineering
might propose one, R&D another, marketing a third.  The fact that in
general, for a private enterprise Wiki, everyone has to use the same "silo
of information" ends up being a huge win for the company.  At least in my
experience :)

Thanks again!
Bryan

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 5:05 PM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, but the info box also states 1.23 - 1.26. So there is a version
> constraint for stable. This is however just a side note.
>
> I believe the extension as such is "fixed" now however MediaWiki core
> has an issue since REL1_27 that makes it not working at a 100 percent.
> I am on my knees begging for a fix for a year now. However I am one of
> the very few so there is no real "pressure" apart from the fact that it
> is among the most popular extensions. Toi, toi, toi ... Sadly I am not
> able to propose a change-set myself since I lack the knowledge to do
> so.
>
> Do not get me wrong: A) If one needs 100% only a separate wiki instance
> will help. B) Lockdown already covers a lot in most use cases in an
> acceptable manner so A was not required in most cases I have
> encountered so far.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>

> Am Dienstag, den 26.12.2017, 22:42 +0000 schrieb Martin Urbanec:
> > Heff, ok, thanks then. It is propagated as "stable" at it's MediaWiki
> > page...
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > út 26. 12. 2017 v 23:39 odesílatel chris tharp <[hidden email]
> > >
> > napsal:
> >

> > > Martin,
> > >
> > > A quick note: The Lockdown extension has not worked since Mediawiki
> > > 1.26.
> > > If I’m not mistaken almost all the access restriction extensions no
> > > longer
> > > work (several of the older extensions, like Lockdown & SemanticACL,
> > > were
> > > good at access restrictions). The philosophy that a wiki must be
> > > totally
> > > open, regardless of the needs of many, especially Enterprise users,
> > > seems
> > > to have a firm hold on the mind-set of Mediawiki developers.
> > >
> > > Sent from my iPad

> > > <[hidden email]>

> > > 19th

> > > these

> > > content.

> > > and

Re: Limited External Mirror

K. Peachey-2
You could try DumpHTML and then have a chron task to copy the selected
outputs to a area where areas can access them