[MediaWiki-l] Mac Server Wiki EOL

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[MediaWiki-l] Mac Server Wiki EOL

eQuality Technology
Do you run MacOS?  Do you have a Mac Server Wiki
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Server>?  As you probably know, the
server is discontinued (since early 2018 [1]). Don't let your wiki material
die with it.  Call us today to get your Quality replacement wiki (running
MediaWiki of course!). We'll handle the migration for you.

~Greg

[1] https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/24/major-changes-macos-server/

Greg Rundlett
founder / CEO
eQuality Technology
http://eQuality-Tech.com <http://equality-tech.com/>
voice 978-225-0471
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac Server Wiki EOL

Greg Rundlett (eQuality Tech)
I realize my message is "Marketing oriented" - and as such may seem
inappropriate for the list. However, my intention is to grow the MediaWiki
community by welcoming those from competing platforms which have met an
untimely demise. Because a forum is well-suited for a deep dive into the
issue, I setup a discussion topic
<https://discourse.equality-tech.com/t/macos-wiki-eol-end-of-life/641> in
the QualityBox forums for follow-up. I'll be looking at the conversion
pathways and/or specific details for users, developers/admins and mediawiki
consultants.
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac Server Wiki EOL

Jan Steinman-2
> From: eQT <[hidden email]>
>
> Do you run MacOS?  Do you have a Mac Server Wiki
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Server>?  As you probably know, the
> server is discontinued (since early 2018 [1]). Don't let your wiki material
> die with it.

Please stop with the fear-mongering.

Both Apache2 and MediaWiki run just fine on any Mac you can get on Craig's List or evilBay... or new form any Apple Store.

Jan


_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac Server Wiki EOL

Greg Rundlett (eQuality Tech)
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:23 PM Jan Steinman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: eQT <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Do you run MacOS?  Do you have a Mac Server Wiki
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Server>?  As you probably know, the
> > server is discontinued (since early 2018 [1]). Don't let your wiki
> material
> > die with it.
>
> Please stop with the fear-mongering.
>

What fear-mongering? The fact is that MacOS Wiki Server as a software
product is EOL. That might scare you; or not, but I'm not fear mongering by
giving you facts.  As software products fade into the sunset, you should be
aware of what's going on; plus understand the options and alternatives for
continued support.  In this case it means migrating to a supported
knowledge platform.


> Both Apache2 and MediaWiki run just fine on any Mac you can get on Craig's
> List or evilBay... or new form any Apple Store.
>

That broad statement is simply untrue (plenty of older Mac's aren't capable
of running the newest releases of software required to run a full MediaWiki
platform.) But what's your point? Are you saying that the solution to a
dying software product is to go out and purchase recycled hardware, then
build a DIY platform to preserve your knowledge assets? Clearly that's not
the best option for many people.
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac Server Wiki EOL

John Doe-27
What I will state is that trying to use these mailing lists as an
advertising Platform should be an automatic blackball as a violation of
trust and a conflict of interest.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:13 PM Greg Rundlett (eQuality Tech) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:23 PM Jan Steinman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > From: eQT <[hidden email]>
> > >
> > > Do you run MacOS?  Do you have a Mac Server Wiki
> > > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Server>?  As you probably know,
> the
> > > server is discontinued (since early 2018 [1]). Don't let your wiki
> > material
> > > die with it.
> >
> > Please stop with the fear-mongering.
> >
>
> What fear-mongering? The fact is that MacOS Wiki Server as a software
> product is EOL. That might scare you; or not, but I'm not fear mongering by
> giving you facts.  As software products fade into the sunset, you should be
> aware of what's going on; plus understand the options and alternatives for
> continued support.  In this case it means migrating to a supported
> knowledge platform.
>
>
> > Both Apache2 and MediaWiki run just fine on any Mac you can get on
> Craig's
> > List or evilBay... or new form any Apple Store.
> >
>
> That broad statement is simply untrue (plenty of older Mac's aren't capable
> of running the newest releases of software required to run a full MediaWiki
> platform.) But what's your point? Are you saying that the solution to a
> dying software product is to go out and purchase recycled hardware, then
> build a DIY platform to preserve your knowledge assets? Clearly that's not
> the best option for many people.
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mac Server Wiki EOL

Jurij Byrda
In reply to this post by eQuality Technology
Rasykite lietuviškai galite ir Rusu kalboje

2018-10-23, an 16:36, eQT <[hidden email]> rašė:

> Do you run MacOS?  Do you have a Mac Server Wiki
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Server>?  As you probably know, the
> server is discontinued (since early 2018 [1]). Don't let your wiki material
> die with it.  Call us today to get your Quality replacement wiki (running
> MediaWiki of course!). We'll handle the migration for you.
>
> ~Greg
>
> [1] https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/24/major-changes-macos-server/
>
> Greg Rundlett
> founder / CEO
> eQuality Technology
> http://eQuality-Tech.com <http://equality-tech.com/>
> voice 978-225-0471
> _______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l
>
_______________________________________________
MediaWiki-l mailing list
To unsubscribe, go to:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-l