[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Mark A. Hershberger-2
I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.

Please download the release candidate and test it.  If you find any bugs
please report them on Bugzilla[1] and make sure I am added as a CC so
that we can fix any show-stoppers before the final release.

Finally, if you could also look over
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21, I'll be using an edited
version of that to make the final announcement.  If you spot problems or
areas that could use clarification, your help in improving it would be
appreciated.

[1]
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git

Full release notes:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.21

Download:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz

Patch to previous version (1.20.0), without interface text:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
Interface text changes:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz

GPG signatures:
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz.sig
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig

Public keys:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/keys.html

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Dear Mark.
Thank you for the news. I would try, but
there are several questions I could not understnd
from the description you suggest.

1. In order to install and use your new version, what should I already
have installed, before to download, set-up and use the new wiki?
In particular:
Should I install git ?
Should I install PHP ?
Should I install MathJax ?
Should I install C++?
Suould I install Latex?
What versions of the software above are required for and compatible with
your version of wiki?

Does your version of wiki support pictures in PDF and/or EPS format?
Sincerely, Dima.

On 03/31/2013 10:58 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> Should I install git ?

No, this is a complete, downloadable version.

> Should I install PHP ?

Yes, MediaWiki requires at least version 5.3.2 of PHP.

> Should I install MathJax ?
> Should I install C++?
> Suould I install Latex?

None of these is needed.

> What versions of the software above are required for and compatible with
> your version of wiki?

Note that this is a release candidate for MediaWiki 1.21.0 -- it is not
"my" version of the software as I've done nothing special with this.  I
am the release manager for MediaWiki and this is a release candidate for
a normal release.

This may not be absolutely clear since I used my own server for the
release instead of download.wikimedia.org.  I had the release ready and
didn't want to wait for someone to upload it to download.wm.o, so I put
it on my own server.  The next release candidate will be on download.wm.o.

> Does your version of wiki support pictures in PDF and/or EPS format?

MediaWiki supports uploading PDF and EPS files with the right
configuration.  I haven't tried uploading EPS files, but providing
thumbnails of these and the PDFs should work.

--
http://hexmode.com/

[We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
   compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
        -- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Dear Mark, thanl you for the explanation.
I have found PHP Version 5.3.15 (it seems to come together with Xcode).
It ignores the PHP commands in the *.html files,
but recognises PHP commands in the *.php files
Hope, it is sufficient.

Also, I seem to have MySQL loaded:
some hundreds files are located with comand
/usr/local>  locate mysql
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/gems/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.10/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/gems/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/activerecord-3.0.10/lib/active_record/railties/jdbcmysql_error.rb
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/gems/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/arel-2.0.10/lib/arel/visitors/mysql.rb
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/gems/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/railties-3.0.10/lib/rails/generators/rails/app/templates/config/databases/jdbcmysql.yml
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/gems/vendor/bundle/ruby/1.8/gems/railties-3.0.10/lib/rails/generators/rails/app/templates/config/databases/mysql.yml
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb
/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/vendor/rails/railties/configs/databases/mysql.yml
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/php/ext/mysqli
but I cannot find the executable mysql, mentioned in the manuals,
and command mysql "is not found". I have no idea, what do I wrong.
Shold I continue searching for a way to activate the MySQL
before to install MediaWiki 1.21.0 ?

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 10:58 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
>> Should I install git ?
> No, this is a complete, downloadable version.

>> Should I install PHP ?
> Yes, MediaWiki requires at least version 5.3.2 of PHP.

>> Should I install MathJax ?
>> Should I install C++?
>> Suould I install Latex?
> None of these is needed.

> MediaWiki supports uploading PDF and EPS files with the right
> configuration.  I haven't tried uploading EPS files, but providing
> thumbnails of these and the PDFs should work.
I think, PDFs are good and sufficient.
Is it that mentioned in the section "High-resolution image support" ?
(formally, as PDF, as EPS have infinite resolution..)

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Mark A. Hershberger-2
(Trimming reply to you and mediawiki-l so we don't continue to spam people.)

On 04/01/2013 12:00 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> but I cannot find the executable mysql, mentioned in the manuals,
> and command mysql "is not found". I have no idea, what do I wrong.
> Shold I continue searching for a way to activate the MySQL
> before to install MediaWiki 1.21.0 ?

Yes, you need a database installed.  Someone with OS X experience can
probably help you better than I can.

> I think, PDFs are good and sufficient.
> Is it that mentioned in the section "High-resolution image support" ?
> (formally, as PDF, as EPS have infinite resolution..)

"High-resolution image support" is talking about, as the announcement
points out, serving higher resolution images to high-density display's
like Apple's Retina display.

--
http://hexmode.com/

[We are] immortal ... because [we have] a soul, a spirit capable of
   compassion and sacrifice and endurance.
        -- William Faulker, Nobel Prize acceptance speech

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Brion Vibber
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 04/01/2013 12:00 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> > but I cannot find the executable mysql, mentioned in the manuals,
> > and command mysql "is not found". I have no idea, what do I wrong.
> > Shold I continue searching for a way to activate the MySQL
> > before to install MediaWiki 1.21.0 ?
>
> Yes, you need a database installed.  Someone with OS X experience can
> probably help you better than I can.

I run a test instance on my OS X machine (currently 10.8.3). I use the
MySQL installer package from dev.mysql.com -- try <
http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.6/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64.dmg/from/http://cdn.mysql.com/

Double-click and run the installer; also double-click the preferences pane
to install that, it makes it easy to start and stop the MySQL server.

This will install the 'mysql' command into /usr/local/mysql/bin so you
might need to add a line like this to your ~/.profile file:

  export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin

Note that you may also need to adjust /etc/php.ini and add a line like:

  mysql.default_socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

for the Apple-provided PHP to see MySQL properly. You may need to stop and
restart the web server after adjusting php.ini.

> > I think, PDFs are good and sufficient.

You'll want <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler> to support
upload of PDFs; by default this will rasterize the PDFs for inline display,
so you don't need a browser plugin. The extension depends on some external
Unix programs as mentioned on that page, you should be able to install them
through HomeBrew or MacPorts.

-- brion

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Dear Brion.
I follow your suggestion.
I got file /Users/d/Downloads/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64.dmg

At the double-click on it (in the "finder frame"), the new frame appears
with four icons. they correspond to the following files:
/Volumes/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64.pkg
/Volumes/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64/MySQL.prefPane
/Volumes/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64/MySQLStartupItem.pkg
/Volumes/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64/ReadMe.txt

I try to double-click on each of them. The frame with error message
appears:
"MySQL-prefPane can't be opeed
because it is from am unidentified
developer"

Perhaps, this is case mentioned in file "ReadMe.txt" :

If this error occurs, simply click the `Go Back' button once to return
to the previous screen. Then click `Continue' to advance to the
destination disk selection again, and you should be able to choose the
destination disk correctly. We have reported this bug to Apple and it is
investigating this problem.

However, I cannot find the option 'Go Back', nor `Continue';
yet, there is nothing about MySQL at  /usr/local

Shat do I wrong?
=============================
On Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       On 04/01/2013 12:00 PM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
>       > but I cannot find the executable mysql, mentioned in the manuals,
>       > and command mysql "is not found". I have no idea, what do I wrong.
>       > Shold I continue searching for a way to activate the MySQL
>       > before to install MediaWiki 1.21.0 ?
>
> Yes, you need a database installed.  Someone with OS X experience can
> probably help you better than I can.
>

> I run a test instance on my OS X machine (currently 10.8.3). I use the MySQL installer package from dev.mysql.com -- try
> <http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.6/mysql-5.6.10-osx10.7-x86_64.dmg/from/http://cdn.mysql.com/>
>
> Double-click and run the installer; also double-click the preferences pane to install that, it makes it easy to start and
> stop the MySQL server.
>
> This will install the 'mysql' command into /usr/local/mysql/bin so you might need to add a line like this to your
> ~/.profile file:
>
>   export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin
>
> Note that you may also need to adjust /etc/php.ini and add a line like:
>
>   mysql.default_socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
>
> for the Apple-provided PHP to see MySQL properly. You may need to stop and restart the web server after adjusting php.ini.
>

>       > I think, PDFs are good and sufficient.
>

> You'll want <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler> to support upload of PDFs; by default this will rasterize
> the PDFs for inline display, so you don't need a browser plugin. The extension depends on some external Unix programs as
> mentioned on that page, you should be able to install them through HomeBrew or MacPorts.
>
> -- brion

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
In order to test the MediaWiki version 1.21 I still try to install MySQL.
Perhaps, I repeat some error again and again, but I cannot catch it..

While I filled the quiz at
http://www.w3schools.com/quiztest/quiztest.asp?qtest=SQL
W3Schools SQL Quiz Result: 20 of 20 // 100%  Perfect!!!
Time Spent 4:40.

Of course, I still cannot execute any example from the quiz,
the sytem cannot find MySQL!

I think, the questions of the quiz should be reformulated.
I suggest the following questions for the quiz:

1. How many different sites pretend to distribute MySQL?
Possible answers: (from 1 to 3, from 4 to 10, from 11 to 100)

2. How many different sites distribute workable versions of MySQL?
Possible answers: (1, 2, more than 2)

3. How many keys and bottoms should one press in order to get the workable
version of MySQL?
Possible answers: (from 5 to 10, from 11 to 100, from 1001 to 10000)

4. How many of them can be found in the documentation?
Possible answers: (from 2 to 5, from 6 to 10, from 11 to 10000)

5. Where does MySQL load the databases by defailt?
Possible answers:
( /mysql/data , /usr/mysqldata, directory with randomly choosen name)

6. Where should these databases be stored in order to be usable by Mediawiki?
( /mysql/data , /usr/mediawiki/mysql, anywhere)

7. Where does the Mediawiki keep its database?
( /mediawiki/data , /usr/mediawiki/mysql/data, directory with random name)

8. Is it possible to access these databases directly from MySQL?
(Yes, it is easy; Yes, but it is very difficuylt; No WAY!)

9. Is it necessary to learn MySQL in order to install a workable version
of Mediawiki?
(Yes, one shouild take one year course of MySQL before to have any hopes
for the successful installation; No, one can do it within few days,
within less than a hundred of attempts)

10. What for does Xcode load so many files related to MySQL?
(At the good skills of Xcode and MySQL, these files still can be used;
This is simulation of ubdate with respect to the previous version)

On 04/02/2013 02:51 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> While I filled the quiz at
> http://www.w3schools.com/quiztest/quiztest.asp?qtest=SQL

> I think, the questions of the quiz should be reformulated.
> I suggest the following questions for the quiz:

I'm  not sure why you're telling us this.  This mailing list is about
MediaWiki, not MySQL or W3Schools' website.

Brion has already offered you some pointers for setting up your system.
Did those help?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>>.. I suggest the following questions for the quiz:
> I'm  not sure why you're telling us this.  This mailing list is about
> MediaWiki, not MySQL or W3Schools' website.
Sorry. I just wanted to test the Wiki you suggest,
and I need to have PHP and MySQL ready.
I did not expect that I'll have to learn
PHP and MySQL; I expected the Mediawiki
to do all the technical job.

> Brion has already offered you some pointers for setting up your system.
> Did those help?
Not. I even thout that that was the April-Full joke.
Following Brion's instruction, I got the packages;
When I tried to open the package, there was error message
".. cannot be opened because it is from unidentified developer."
and nothing seems to be installed from there.

Now I try to get the MySQL through "Oracle":
There is very small, barely readable line that begins with words
"No thanks.."; that line happened to be the key.
Tomorrow I'll check it; then I  hope to get MySQL
and then I try to test the  MediaWiki 1.21.0.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Dear Mark.
I've tested the PHP and the MySQL; both seem to work;
and I loaded the mediawiki 1.21.

Files loaded
http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz
seem to be the same as offered at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_Git
Is it so?

I begin with  reading the description, id est, files REARME* and INSTALL .
The place to put these fiels is difficult to guess.
No simple algorithm to choose this place is presented.
The descriptions at mediawiki.org cited suggest sevral screens of
speculations about, but it is difficult to apply them practically.

The simple recommendation should be placed at the top,
indicating, where should the beginner put the files in
order to get workable (and preferably, robust and stable) wiki-site.

Also, consider to specify the requirements mentioned at file
INSTALL at the preamble of the articles in Mediawiki.
You could provide some tests, how the beginner can guess,
does he/she have the PHP and/or MySQL or not.
The test should not force the user to learn PHP and MySQL
in order to understand, do they run well or not.

Tomorrow I hope to run the mediawiki 1.21; then I'll type more.

On 04/04/2013 10:37 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> Files loaded
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz
> seem to be the same as offered at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_Git
> Is it so?

The tarball has some bundled extensions that I don't think come when you
use the second link.  See the extensions directory.

> The place to put these files is difficult to guess.
> No simple algorithm to choose this place is presented.
> The descriptions at mediawiki.org cited suggest several screens of
> speculations about, but it is difficult to apply them practically.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

You've mentioned before that you're running MAMP on OS X, I think.  I'm
not sure where its webroot is.

> The simple recommendation should be placed at the top,
> indicating, where should the beginner put the files in
> order to get workable (and preferably, robust and stable) wiki-site.

That would be ideal, yes.  I'm not sure how applicable that is given the
variety of platforms MediaWiki runs on.  For example, on many Linux
platforms /var/www/wiki or ~/public_html/wiki would be a good location.
 I don't think either of those locations would work for Windows or most
OS X users.

> Also, consider to specify the requirements mentioned at file INSTALL at
> the preamble of the articles in Mediawiki.
> You could provide some tests, how the beginner can guess, does he/she
> have the PHP and/or MySQL or not.
> The test should not force the user to learn PHP and MySQL
> in order to understand, do they run well or not.

Your perspective on all this is fascinating to me.  I haven't really
considered that someone without a little basic PHP/MySQL knowledge would
try to install MediaWiki.

I really appreciate all the insight you've given me so far.  But I have
to ask, what is your motivation for installing MediaWiki?  What are you
trying to accomplish?

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 04/04/2013 10:37 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote: ..
>> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz
>> seem to be the same as offered at
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_Git
>> Is it so?
> The tarball has some bundled extensions that I don't think come when you
> use the second link.  See the extensions directory.
Thank you! Now I see the difference.
So, I shold use the *.gz rather than the git.

>> The place to put these files is difficult to guess.
>> No simple algorithm to choose this place is presented.
>> The descriptions at mediawiki.org cited suggest several screens of
>> speculations about, but it is difficult to apply them practically.
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.
I mean that I have almost no experience
making symbolic links with command ln
and I am often confised with redirects.
I try to choose the simplest way,
that still allows the "short url".

> You've mentioned before that you're running MAMP on OS X, I think.
I run PHP and MySQL under OS X Version 10.8.2.
I suspect, I use MAMP,
although the command "about this server"
does not specify this.

> not sure where its webroot is.
I do know, where it is.
It looks absurdly complicated path.
I'll place the wiki there.

>.. Your perspective on all this is fascinating to me.  I haven't really
> considered that someone without a little basic PHP/MySQL knowledge would
> try to install MediaWiki.
I explain this with 3 examples below:

1. Designing a first Car, the creator could expect,
the users will be techniticans and engineers.
But soon or late, someone begins to use a car,
without to know difference between gear and clutch.

2. First Computers were made for researchers, mainly
mathematicians, physicists, and engineers.
Now many people use computers, without to know
difference between integral and logarithm.
(How many physicians know physics?)

3. First Mediawiki were expected to be for the system programmers.
But you may expect, that soon or late, someone will try to install it,
without to know difference between PHP and MySQL.

Past week, the last example had been realized.
However, now I have the basic knowledge:
I have executed one very simple function with PHP
and I have created one very simple database with MySQL.

> I really appreciate all the insight you've given me so far.  But I have
> to ask, what is your motivation for installing MediaWiki?
I use the wiki engine in my research.
In particular, I need a catalogue of new superfunctions.

>What are you trying to accomplish?
I need to learn to install Mediawiki by myself. I have server for it.
Two years ago, I tried the same. I tried by myself and I failed.
Then, few students helped me.
We were successful; my wiki worked during two years.
Then one student had attacked it, vandalized it,
abusing the system account; I did not have enough skills to resist.
So, I stop making physics and mathematics and
I begin to learn the computation.
In particular, I should learn to install Mediawiki by myself.
I try to understand each step, in order not to repeat the same errors.
So, I advance slowly. It may take a month.
I expect, still in this century,
one will make a robot, which does the
same job within few minutes.

P.S. Installing of MySQL happened to be very tricky:
I had to search for the solutions of the problems at the forums.
I do not expect the Mediawiki to be easier, but,
at elast once in life, everyone should learn to drive a car.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Daniel Friesen-2
On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:30:54 -0700, Dmitrii Kouznetsov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What are you trying to accomplish?
> I need to learn to install Mediawiki by myself. I have server for it.

Btw, installing this stuff on a server is generally much different than
installing it on your local machine. Generally you use a some type of
linux on the server which usually has a nice package manager to help you
out.

On 04/05/2013 12:43 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:30:54 -0700, Dmitrii Kouznetsov
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> What are you trying to accomplish?
>> I need to learn to install Mediawiki by myself. I have server for it.
>
> Btw, installing this stuff on a server is generally much different than
> installing it on your local machine. Generally you use a some type of
> linux on the server which usually has a nice package manager to help you
> out.

What sort of server do you have?  If it is a Linux system there are
probably packages out there already.  We've been working with Debian
developers so that you should just have to run "apt-get install
mediawiki" to install MediaWiki.

We haven't worked as closely yet with Red Hat based distributions, but
you should still be able to do something like "yum install mediawiki".

If the above doesn't help you, maybe if you tell us about your server,
we can provide more help.

On Fri, 5 Apr 2013, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> On 04/05/2013 12:43 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>>> I need to learn to install Mediawiki by myself. I have server for it.
>> Btw, installing this stuff on a server is generally much different than
>> installing it on your local machine. Generally you use a some type of
>> linux on the server which usually has a nice package manager to help you
>> out.
This should not be a problem: I never had installed mediawiki at a local
machine. But this is good idea; perhaps, I shold try.

> What sort of server do you have?
Mac mini Server Late 2012
Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3103)

I have copied directory mediawiki-1.21.0rc1
to the webroot and begin the set-up.
I shoose the default oprions, and get the message

DB connection error: No such file or directory (localhost)
Check the host, username and password and try again.

So, I create directory /a
to store the database and I specify it instead of the "localhost"
Then, the message changed to

DB connection error: php_network_getaddressses: getaddrinfo failed:
nodename not servername provided, or not known (/a)
Check the host, username and password and try again.

You may consider to provide some examples for the setup service:
I really have no idea, where does Mediawiki keep the database,
and what could be correct value for the "Database host".
It seems to be impossible to guess.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Isabel Gancedo
Hello,

Somehow I had missed this announcement but I had downloaded version
1.21.0rc1 in order to solve the incredibly slow job queue in version 1.20,
which was also slowing down my whole wiki.

Everything seems to be working fine; jobs run a maximum warp and the queue
is becoming tiny.

There is just one issue that I would like to mention: in my database
(MySQL) pre-upgrade jobs have job_random set to 0 and do not seem to be
picked up -not even when I use the option --type=replaceText.

I can repeat the replace text operations, so this is not big problem for
me. However, if this is the normal behaviour for an upgrade, maybe it
should be mentioned in the notes somewhere.

Thanks for all the work from a very happy user,

Isabel

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I've just finished preparing the first release candidate for MediaWiki
> 1.21 and I'd like your help testing it before the final release.
>
> Please download the release candidate and test it.  If you find any bugs
> please report them on Bugzilla[1] and make sure I am added as a CC so
> that we can fix any show-stoppers before the final release.
>
> Finally, if you could also look over
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.21, I'll be using an edited
> version of that to make the final announcement.  If you spot problems or
> areas that could use clarification, your help in improving it would be
> appreciated.
>
> [1]
>
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=MediaWiki&cc=mah@...&version=1.21-git
>
> Full release notes:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Release_notes/1.21

> Download:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz
>
> Patch to previous version (1.20.0), without interface text:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
> Interface text changes:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz
>
> GPG signatures:
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.tar.gz.sig
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
>
> http://mah.everybody.org/mediawiki/1.21/mediawiki-i18n-1.21.0rc1.patch.gz.sig
>
> Public keys:
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/keys.html

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Dear Mark. I have installed the mediawiki 1.21 and I am testing it.
More comments about installing:

1. Setting of default host is tricky: one needs to guess, that
for OS X, the correct value is 127.0.0.1. (as for Windows)

2. I think, the default setting should include the most popular
extensions. You may consider to include
Typing of formulas,
Use of images (including *.pdf), and
Citing of references
into the default installation.

Re: MediaWiki 1.21.0rc1 -- Help test 1.21 and update the announcement

Dmitrii Kouznetsov
Hello, Mark. I continue testing the 1.21 version.
The default installation seems to work; however, it does not support
formula typing, nor references nor the short url.
I see neither "short URL" nor MathJax" among the "extensions" you syggest;
so, I insgtall again. This time, I choose all the extensions offered.
I Expected that some of them provide the required options.
The extensions seem to conflict; I get message
[6ea7a99f] 2013-04-06 14:22:46: Fatal exception of type MWException
Sincerely, Dima.

On 04/06/2013 07:33 AM, Dmitrii Kouznetsov wrote:
> 1. Setting of default host is tricky: one needs to guess, that
> for OS X, the correct value is 127.0.0.1. (as for Windows)

Do you mean the database server host?

> 2. I think, the default setting should include the most popular
> extensions. You may consider to include

This is the reason we've bundled extensions with the tarball -- many
people were expecting to do citations and didn't realize they needed to
install the Cite extension.

Still, your point that the installer (and configuration management in
general) could still use improvement in this area is good.

PdfHandler (for PDFs) and Cite (for citations) are already included.

If you think an extension for math formulas should be included, then
propose it here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Bundled_extensions.

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/

It is not the case that simple clear questions have simple clear
    answers, not even in the world of pure ideas, and much less so in
    the messy real world of everyday life.
        -- Gregory Chaitin, “Paradoxes of Randomness”