[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

John Lewis-2
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to make or find a MediaWiki template that will take a
category and fill in a table on the main page of a site in one column.
The table will have a second column that will contain external urls.

Re: MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

John Lewis-2
On Sun, 2017-12-31 at 11:08 -0500, John Lewis wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am trying to make or find a MediaWiki template that will take a
> category and fill in a table on the main page of a site in one
> column.
> The table will have a second column that will contain external urls.

I found a template that kind of does what I want to do.

https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Template:Category_table_divided&ac
tion=edit

Could someone tell me if I need Semantic Mediawiki to make it work?

Re: MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

Yaron Koren
Hi John,

Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo are the two extensions that are generally used
for this kind of thing. If you want to use that exact template, you would
need to install SMW, since it uses SMW tags.

-Yaron

On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 16:09 -0500, Yaron Koren wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo are the two extensions that are
> generally used
> for this kind of thing. If you want to use that exact template, you
> would
> need to install SMW, since it uses SMW tags.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Dec 31, 2017 11:59 PM, "John Lewis" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

I read your book, "Working with MediaWiki: 2nd edition".

I don't need the exact template.

What I figured out that I could get what looks pretty much what I
wanted with a simple table.

The question is, how many records should I have before it makes sense
to switch from a simple table to a Cargo table? I have around 20 now,
but I want to make the editing experience as streamline as possible and
it is easy to imagine how tables could get in the way of that.

The table in question is on the main page of this site https://www.bmab
lacklist.com.

Re: MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

Yaron Koren-2
Hi John,

I'm glad you read the book!

This question - how much data there should be before it's worth turning the
wiki into a structured wiki - doesn't have an obvious answer, I don't
think. If your table is going to stay roughly that size, there probably
isn't much point to do it. If it's going to grow by a lot, and especially
if there will eventually be more columns, then it seems worthwhile. But I
don't know what the cutoff point is.

-Yaron

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 5:04 PM, John Lewis <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2018-01-03 at 16:09 -0500, Yaron Koren wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Semantic MediaWiki and Cargo are the two extensions that are
> > generally used
> > for this kind of thing. If you want to use that exact template, you
> > would
> > need to install SMW, since it uses SMW tags.
> >
> > -Yaron
> >
> > On Dec 31, 2017 11:59 PM, "John Lewis" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> I read your book, "Working with MediaWiki: 2nd edition".
>
> I don't need the exact template.
>
> What I figured out that I could get what looks pretty much what I
> wanted with a simple table.
>
> The question is, how many records should I have before it makes sense
> to switch from a simple table to a Cargo table? I have around 20 now,
> but I want to make the editing experience as streamline as possible and
> it is easy to imagine how tables could get in the way of that.
>
> The table in question is on the main page of this site https://www.bmab
> lacklist.com.

Re: MediaWiki Template that loads catagory into a table

John Lewis-2
What I am going to do is continue with the standard table until I meet
my initial content goals.

Then I will make a development version of the main page in the project
namespace so I can know how to make a cargo table without confusing
anyone visiting the site. I can make a more informed decision
afterwards.

Thank you for the information.