[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

Jim Long
I am installing Mediawiki 1.25 on FreeBSD 10-STABLE, Apache 2.24,
PHP 5.6.11, and Postgres 9.3.9.

I can step through all the data entry screens of the mw-config
script, but after I click Continue in response to the screen:

'By pressing "Continue", you will begin the installation of
MediaWiki.'

I get no response from MediaWiki.  Apache takes one of my eight
cores to 100% utilization, but there is never any HTTP response from
the Mediawiki configuration script.  After about 15 or 16 minutes,
the browser times out, but the Apache process continues running at
100% of CPU.

Can anyone suggest some possible sources of this problem, or issues
that can be eliminated as the source of this trouble?  The web
database username and password can successfully connect to Postgres
manually and create a table, etc.  The pgsql (installation) database
user and password can successfully create and drop databases, etc.
The database to be used already exists, and is owned by the web
database username (role).

But the installation script never completes, so I have not been
able to generate a LocalSettings.php file.  How can I get past
this hurdle?

Thank you for your time.  Please holler if I can provide more
information.

Jim

Re: Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

Jim Long
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:14:19PM -0700, Jim Long wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some possible sources of this problem, or issues
> that can be eliminated as the source of this trouble?

... or ways to produce a verbose logging trail?

Thanks!

Jim

Re: Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

Benjamin Lees
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Jim Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... or ways to produce a verbose logging trail?

I would expect something in the Apache error log for this  But I would
also expect MediaWiki to whine or just give you a white screen right
away, so this is pretty strange.  Is Postgres executing a query while
Apache is hung?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 01:29:59AM -0400, Benjamin Lees wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Jim Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ... or ways to produce a verbose logging trail?
>
> I would expect something in the Apache error log for this  But I would
> also expect MediaWiki to whine or just give you a white screen right
> away, so this is pretty strange.  Is Postgres executing a query while
> Apache is hung?

If it were, I would sort of expect to see postgres soaking up all
the CPU, but it is httpd (apache) that is doing that, so I'm unclear
on what is going on.

Nothing significant in the logs.  All PHP Mediawiki interaction
previous to that goes fine, including Mediawiki giving the green
light that the environment is satisfactory to begin installation.

I want Mediawiki to run in a FreeBSD jail eventually, so I'm going
to start over testing it inside a jail.  I'll report back with more
detail.

Is there any way to get Mediawiki to give me a verbose debugging log
of the installation process?  Then even if I can't see exactly what
it's doing, I can report that it hung after doing X.  Right now
I'm not getting any clues at all about what's causing the hangup.

Thanks for the reply!

Jim

Re: Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

Daniel Friesen-2
On 2015-07-23 11:11 PM, Jim Long wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 01:29:59AM -0400, Benjamin Lees wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Jim Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ... or ways to produce a verbose logging trail?
>> I would expect something in the Apache error log for this  But I would
>> also expect MediaWiki to whine or just give you a white screen right
>> away, so this is pretty strange.  Is Postgres executing a query while
>> Apache is hung?
> If it were, I would sort of expect to see postgres soaking up all
> the CPU, but it is httpd (apache) that is doing that, so I'm unclear
> on what is going on.
>
> Nothing significant in the logs.  All PHP Mediawiki interaction
> previous to that goes fine, including Mediawiki giving the green
> light that the environment is satisfactory to begin installation.
>
> I want Mediawiki to run in a FreeBSD jail eventually, so I'm going
> to start over testing it inside a jail.  I'll report back with more
> detail.
>
> Is there any way to get Mediawiki to give me a verbose debugging log
> of the installation process?  Then even if I can't see exactly what
> it's doing, I can report that it hung after doing X.  Right now
> I'm not getting any clues at all about what's causing the hangup.
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Jim
You might be able to hack the profiler to dump a list of profile in-out
calls to a file so you can see whereabouts it halts.

Re: Mediawiki 1.25 installation hangs

Daren Welsh
It sounds like you're using the browser install script. Have you tried the
command line installer? It doesn't output a bunch of feedback, but it might
spit out an error or at least tell you how far it got before hanging.

Daren