[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki and Calendaring

Hans van den Heuvel
Hi list,

Newbie alert  !!

I have a question about MediaWiki and calendaring integration and hope
this is the correct list to ask ?

I work in a technical support organization where we do use MediaWiki to
share information between peers globally. Due to progressing
requirements, I would like to integrate a calendar within our MediaWiki
because of it's flexibility and ease of use for everyone.

I have the following requirements :
- LDAP user integration.
   [1] Maintain wiki rights for LDAP users,
   [2] Restrict calendar rights and maintain the ability to track
changes and to revert when needed.
- No external access.
   We do not want to rely on external sites as for example Google for
both security and privacy concerns.
- Support multiple calendars
   We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
order accommodate different needs for different teams.
- Event display
   Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
additional detail.

I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I am
looking for.

Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here built
customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and perhaps
more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.

Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and insights,
since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.

Best regards
Hans

Re: Mediawiki and Calendaring

Martin Urbanec
Hi,

you may create a table and list calendar events there (as you can see for
example at public deployments scheduling calendar at
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Deployment). LDAP authing is of course
possible, some information about it are at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication.

You may restrict reading and editing privs to logged in users only and then
remove createaccount rights from all users using manual at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:User_rights. MediaWiki allows to
manage rights of LDAP accounts as well as rights of normal accounts. You
need bureaucrat rights by default (or user who is in group which have
*userrights* right or has ability to add/remove a user to/from group using
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgAddGroups /
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgRemoveGroups) and then you can
manage rights using manual at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Assigning_permissions*. *

By default all users can edit and read all pages but you can remove *edit* and
*read* right from special group called * and grant it only to user group
(then only logged in users only will be able to read/edit). If you want to
explicitly restrict searchengines bots from accessing your site you can use
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgDefaultRobotPolicy but althrough
they usually respect this settings they aren't technically prevented from
accessing.

Hoping I helped you with my links.

Best regards,
Martin

so 25. 2. 2017 v 11:09 odesílatel Hans van den Heuvel <[hidden email]>
napsal:

> Hi list,
>
> Newbie alert  !!
>
> I have a question about MediaWiki and calendaring integration and hope
> this is the correct list to ask ?
>
> I work in a technical support organization where we do use MediaWiki to
> share information between peers globally. Due to progressing
> requirements, I would like to integrate a calendar within our MediaWiki
> because of it's flexibility and ease of use for everyone.
>
> I have the following requirements :
> - LDAP user integration.
>    [1] Maintain wiki rights for LDAP users,
>    [2] Restrict calendar rights and maintain the ability to track
> changes and to revert when needed.
> - No external access.
>    We do not want to rely on external sites as for example Google for
> both security and privacy concerns.
> - Support multiple calendars
>    We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
> order accommodate different needs for different teams.
> - Event display
>    Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
> additional detail.
>
> I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I am
> looking for.
>
> Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
> similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here built
> customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
> The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and perhaps
> more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.
>
> Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and insights,
> since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.
>
> Best regards
> Hans

Re: Mediawiki and Calendaring

Mlpearc
I use Extension:SimpleCalendar
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SimpleCalendar>

*Mlpearc*
Founder
Everything Food & Drink.org
everythingfoodanddrink.org
<http://www.everythingfoodanddrink.org/w/index.php/Main_Page>

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 2:25 AM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > both security and privacy concerns.
> > - Support multiple calendars
> >    We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
> > order accommodate different needs for different teams.
> > - Event display
> >    Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
> > additional detail.
> >
> > I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I am
> > looking for.
> >
> > Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
> > similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here built
> > customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
> > The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and perhaps
> > more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.
> >
> > Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and insights,
> > since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.

A lot of information, thanks a lot for sharing Martin.
I will need to do more testing on this.

Thank you and have a wonderful day !
Hans

On 25-2-2017 11:25, Martin Urbanec wrote:

> [...]
>> both security and privacy concerns.
>> - Support multiple calendars
>>     We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
>> order accommodate different needs for different teams.
>> - Event display
>>     Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
>> additional detail.
>>
>> I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I am
>> looking for.
>>
>> Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
>> similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here built
>> customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
>> The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and perhaps
>> more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.
>>
>> Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and insights,
>> since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.

Robert Vogel
Hello Hans,

have a look at Semantic MediaWiki [1] and Semantic Result Formats
[2][3]. In combination with Page Forms [4][5] (to provide a firendly
user interface when creating/editing events) and Lockdown [6] extension
you should have some options to work with. As mentioned by others,
LdapAuthentication extension will also be required.

You can use different namespaces to handle different calendars and
control (write) access. And then use queries to display them all
together or seperately. Unfortunately with Lockdown/Semantic MediaWiki
you will only be able to resrict edit permissions. Proper restriction
of read permissions is not that easy.

[1] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Introduction_to_Semant
ic_MediaWiki
[2] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Semantic_Result_F
ormats
[3] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Eventcalendar_format
[4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Forms
[5] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Demo:Event_calendar/Create_
events_using_a_form
[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown

--
Robert

On Sa, 2017-02-25 at 11:08 +0100, Hans van den Heuvel wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Newbie alert  !!
>
> I have a question about MediaWiki and calendaring integration and
> hope
> this is the correct list to ask ?
>
> I work in a technical support organization where we do use MediaWiki
> share information between peers globally. Due to progressing
> requirements, I would like to integrate a calendar within our
> MediaWiki
> because of it's flexibility and ease of use for everyone.
>
> I have the following requirements :
> - LDAP user integration.
>    [1] Maintain wiki rights for LDAP users,
>    [2] Restrict calendar rights and maintain the ability to track
> changes and to revert when needed.
> - No external access.
>    We do not want to rely on external sites as for example Google
> for
> both security and privacy concerns.
> - Support multiple calendars
>    We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
> order accommodate different needs for different teams.
> - Event display
>    Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
> additional detail.
>
> I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I
> am
> looking for.
>
> Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
> similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here
> built
> customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
> The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and
> perhaps
> more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.
>
> Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and
> insights,
> since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.
>
> Best regards
> Hans

Re: Mediawiki and Calendaring

Hans van den Heuvel

Thanks Mlpearc
I like this Calendar showing every entry as a separate wiki page, I will
need to play with this a little more too.

Have a great day
Hans

On 25-2-2017 15:52, Mlpearc wrote:

> [...]
>>> both security and privacy concerns.
>>> - Support multiple calendars
>>>     We need the ability to add multiple calendars to the same wiki in
>>> order accommodate different needs for different teams.
>>> - Event display
>>>     Calendar should display an appropriate event field with possibly
>>> additional detail.
>>>
>>> I have looked at some Calendar extensions but not yet found what I am
>>> looking for.
>>>
>>> Are there any MediaWiki Calendar extensions that people here use in
>>> similar fashion and/or perhaps can recommend, or have people here built
>>> customized wiki-integrated solutions  for this type of use ?
>>> The consensus could also be we need to look at alternative and perhaps
>>> more 'heavy-weight' solutions for this task.
>>>
>>> Just looking for ideas here, and appreciate your thoughts and insights,
>>> since a MediaWIki solution would be preferred.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the response.
I did look into this, and Demo EventCalendar [1] does indeed look very
close to what my end-goal could be .

I fear however this MediaWiki newbie has not head enough coffee yet. I
have installed the SMW and Page Forms plugin to my MediaWiki test
server, extended the database all fine too.
But while I'm jumping from URL to URL, I'm not yet able to able to even
create even the simplest of calendars.
Will have to look at this a bit more thorough later.

Best regards
Hans

[1] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Demo:Event_calendar