[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki on a remote host questions

[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki on a remote host questions

John Foster-2
As the title say, I just installed mediawiki 1.21.2 on a remotely hosted
VPS server. I got everything set up using the putty software, and the
remote server is a Debian 'squeeze' system, where I do have 'root' level
access & can install what ever i need. First rattle out of the bag the
mediawiki fired up in my browser and asked for me to complete the
installation, as I expected. However when I clicked on the link to
'complete the installation' nothing happened. I tried  a chown -R to
www-data for the entire wiki, but that made no difference. a test of
php5 shows all OK as well as does the apache server it's running on.
This is my first ever attempt to manage a wiki remotely, so any tips are
appreciated. I just don't have a clue why this did'nt work.
Thanks
John

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

Alex Monk
Nothing happened? Did your browser not change pages? Did you get a blank
screen?

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM, John W. Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:

> As the title say, I just installed mediawiki 1.21.2 on a remotely hosted
> VPS server. I got everything set up using the putty software, and the
> remote server is a Debian 'squeeze' system, where I do have 'root' level
> access & can install what ever i need. First rattle out of the bag the
> mediawiki fired up in my browser and asked for me to complete the
> installation, as I expected. However when I clicked on the link to
> 'complete the installation' nothing happened. I tried  a chown -R to
> www-data for the entire wiki, but that made no difference. a test of
> php5 shows all OK as well as does the apache server it's running on.
> This is my first ever attempt to manage a wiki remotely, so any tips are
> appreciated. I just don't have a clue why this did'nt work.
> Thanks
> John

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

John Foster
Aas I said, nothing happened. Th screen stayed exactly the same. I
looked at the page source & it was OK, the instructions in the link were
good, it said to go to the correct page and open the index.php file
in /mw-config withing the mediawiki directory, just nothing happened. No
error messages, nada. Any ideas. I figure it is a permission thing but
have no idea how to fix it. take a look,the link to the page is

http://www.physicswiki.net

If it works for you, message me back please don't try to finish the
setup.

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 11:07 +0100, Alex Monk wrote:

> Nothing happened? Did your browser not change pages? Did you get a blank
> screen?
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM, John W. Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > As the title say, I just installed mediawiki 1.21.2 on a remotely hosted
> > VPS server. I got everything set up using the putty software, and the
> > remote server is a Debian 'squeeze' system, where I do have 'root' level
> > access & can install what ever i need. First rattle out of the bag the
> > mediawiki fired up in my browser and asked for me to complete the
> > installation, as I expected. However when I clicked on the link to
> > 'complete the installation' nothing happened. I tried  a chown -R to
> > www-data for the entire wiki, but that made no difference. a test of
> > php5 shows all OK as well as does the apache server it's running on.
> > This is my first ever attempt to manage a wiki remotely, so any tips are
> > appreciated. I just don't have a clue why this did'nt work.
> > Thanks
> > John

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

John Foster
Well as I said this is wierd. I tried opening the web site with the
actual IP address and it all seems to work as far as the mediawiki
starting the configuration process. Strange huh, Now I have the Godaddy
DNS server set up to forward the name www.physicswiki.net to the IP
address mentioned, with masking, and that seems to work OK, but there is
still a glitch, likely caused by my ignorance of how to set this all up.
Again, any tips or suggestions.
john

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 10:01 -0500, John Foster wrote:

> Aas I said, nothing happened. Th screen stayed exactly the same. I
> looked at the page source & it was OK, the instructions in the link were
> good, it said to go to the correct page and open the index.php file
> in /mw-config withing the mediawiki directory, just nothing happened. No
> error messages, nada. Any ideas. I figure it is a permission thing but
> have no idea how to fix it. take a look,the link to the page is
>
> http://www.physicswiki.net
>
> If it works for you, message me back please don't try to finish the
> setup.
>
> On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 11:07 +0100, Alex Monk wrote:
> > Nothing happened? Did your browser not change pages? Did you get a blank
> > screen?
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM, John W. Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > As the title say, I just installed mediawiki 1.21.2 on a remotely hosted
> > > VPS server. I got everything set up using the putty software, and the
> > > remote server is a Debian 'squeeze' system, where I do have 'root' level
> > > access & can install what ever i need. First rattle out of the bag the
> > > mediawiki fired up in my browser and asked for me to complete the
> > > installation, as I expected. However when I clicked on the link to
> > > 'complete the installation' nothing happened. I tried  a chown -R to
> > > www-data for the entire wiki, but that made no difference. a test of
> > > php5 shows all OK as well as does the apache server it's running on.
> > > This is my first ever attempt to manage a wiki remotely, so any tips are
> > > appreciated. I just don't have a clue why this did'nt work.
> > > Thanks
> > > John

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

WJhonson
Where is your localsettings.php file?

MediaWiki 1.21.2

LocalSettings.php not found.

Well as I said this is wierd. I tried opening the web site with the
actual IP address and it all seems to work as far as the mediawiki
starting the configuration process. Strange huh, Now I have the Godaddy
DNS server set up to forward the name www.physicswiki.net to the IP
address mentioned, with masking, and that seems to work OK, but there is
still a glitch, likely caused by my ignorance of how to set this all up.
Again, any tips or suggestions.
john

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 10:01 -0500, John Foster wrote:

> Aas I said, nothing happened. Th screen stayed exactly the same. I
> looked at the page source & it was OK, the instructions in the link were
> good, it said to go to the correct page and open the index.php file
> in /mw-config withing the mediawiki directory, just nothing happened. No
> error messages, nada. Any ideas. I figure it is a permission thing but
> have no idea how to fix it. take a look,the link to the page is
>
> http://www.physicswiki.net
>
> If it works for you, message me back please don't try to finish the
> setup.
>
> On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 11:07 +0100, Alex Monk wrote:
> > Nothing happened? Did your browser not change pages? Did you get a blank
> > screen?
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 5:18 AM, John W. Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > As the title say, I just installed mediawiki 1.21.2 on a remotely hosted
> > > VPS server. I got everything set up using the putty software, and the
> > > remote server is a Debian 'squeeze' system, where I do have 'root' level
> > > access & can install what ever i need. First rattle out of the bag the
> > > mediawiki fired up in my browser and asked for me to complete the
> > > installation, as I expected. However when I clicked on the link to
> > > 'complete the installation' nothing happened. I tried  a chown -R to
> > > www-data for the entire wiki, but that made no difference. a test of
> > > php5 shows all OK as well as does the apache server it's running on.
> > > This is my first ever attempt to manage a wiki remotely, so any tips are
> > > appreciated. I just don't have a clue why this did'nt work.
> > > Thanks
> > > John

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

John Foster
Not generated yet, as I ran out of time this morning to work on the
site. It may make no difference but I want to figure out why the site
works as it should when I use the actual IP address in my browser, but
dose not when I use the http://www.physicswiki.net address in the
browser. i think that may be an issue with the apache set up on this
hosted site. As I said, this is my first attempt to manage a remote
site.

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 13:00 -0400, Wjhonson wrote:

> Where is your localsettings.php file?
>

> MediaWiki 1.21.2
>
> LocalSettings.php not found.

Jonathan Aquilina
Do you have any vhost's setup for apache. That is important especially if
you have multiple sites on the server.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Not generated yet, as I ran out of time this morning to work on the
> site. It may make no difference but I want to figure out why the site
> works as it should when I use the actual IP address in my browser, but
> dose not when I use the http://www.physicswiki.net address in the
> browser. i think that may be an issue with the apache set up on this
> hosted site. As I said, this is my first attempt to manage a remote
> site.
>
> On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 13:00 -0400, Wjhonson wrote:
> > Where is your localsettings.php file?
> >

> > MediaWiki 1.21.2
> >
> > LocalSettings.php not found.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Mediawiki on a remote host questions

John Foster
I have the vhost mod installed in apache, but this mediawiki is running
from the default site available with no symlinks. Basically I put the
entire wiki in /var/www. This site is, & will only be, for this wiki.
John

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 23:43 +0200, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> Do you have any vhost's setup for apache. That is important especially if
> you have multiple sites on the server.
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM, John Foster <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Not generated yet, as I ran out of time this morning to work on the
> > site. It may make no difference but I want to figure out why the site
> > works as it should when I use the actual IP address in my browser, but
> > dose not when I use the http://www.physicswiki.net address in the
> > browser. i think that may be an issue with the apache set up on this
> > hosted site. As I said, this is my first attempt to manage a remote
> > site.
> >
> > On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 13:00 -0400, Wjhonson wrote:
> > > Where is your localsettings.php file?
> > >

> > > MediaWiki 1.21.2
> > >
> > > LocalSettings.php not found.

I would still set a vhost to look at /var/www and make sure you delete the
original index.html or what ever the default page is that comes with apache.

Jonathan Aquilina