[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki portability

juke -

Hi,I was wondering about Mediawiki's portability to other wiki platforms. We were asked to find out about Mediawiki's portability to other wiki platforms in a course project.Does the import to other wiki platform depend on a platform, or is it possible to just take a SQL and XML dumps and import those to some other wiki platform?Is there any guide/manual for this kind of operation?TBH I would use Mediawiki in this project, since I find it as the best solution for this project, but I was asked to find out how we can move Mediawiki to some other platform would work in case we have to :)-Juuso Sormunen

Re: Mediawiki portability

Benjamin Lees
Hi Juuso!

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 11:28 AM, juke - <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does the import to other wiki platform depend on a platform, or is it possible to just take a SQL and XML dumps and import those to some other wiki platform?

It depends on the platform.  There are all sorts of scripts floating
around for converting from one type of wiki software to another, but
they're often outdated and unmaintained (conversion is something you
hope never to have to do twice!).[0]

MediaWiki lets you export your data; beyond that, portability is up to
the application you're trying to convert _to_.  If you want to find
out whether you can easily convert MediaWiki to some other software,
you'd want to ask the developers of that software.[1]

[0] For a sample lying around on MediaWiki.org:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Data_exchange_with_other_systems
[1] For, say, Confluence, you'd look at
https://migrations.atlassian.net/wiki/display/UWC/Universal+Wiki+Converter

Re: Mediawiki portability

Jan Steinman-2
> From: juke - <[hidden email]>
>
> ... I was asked to find out how we can move Mediawiki to some other platform would work in case we have to

That's sorta like getting married with a pre-nup agreement. For the rest of your married life, you'll be wondering...

Don't waste too much time on it, and don't waste ANY post-decision effort on it! I've seen major software projects go down because of an unreasonable focus on contingency plans. You just can't plan for anything that might happen.

Just get married. Having put energy into a pre-nup agreement will flavour the rest of your relationship... and then, some court may throw it out, anyway! For better or worse, in sickness and in health... I'd focus on showing how vast and competent the MediaWiki community is, rather than waste much time on portability.

"Yea, you can get your data out" is all the answer you need. Then some poor schmuck will be stuck porting that data for the rest of the project's lifetime.

:::: Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics. -- Albert Einstein

Re: Mediawiki portability

Gabriel Wicke-3
MediaWiki can export HTML5 and RDFa
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid/MediaWiki_DOM_spec> (via Parsoid),
which is fairly future-proof. Parsoid can also serialize the same HTML back
to wikitext. Serializing to other wiki flavors could be implemented as a
modification of the Parsoid html2wikitext serializer module.

Gabriel

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Jan Steinman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: juke - <[hidden email]>
> >
> > ... I was asked to find out how we can move Mediawiki to some other
> platform would work in case we have to
>
> That's sorta like getting married with a pre-nup agreement. For the rest
> of your married life, you'll be wondering...
>
> Don't waste too much time on it, and don't waste ANY post-decision effort
> on it! I've seen major software projects go down because of an unreasonable
> focus on contingency plans. You just can't plan for anything that might
> happen.
>
> Just get married. Having put energy into a pre-nup agreement will flavour
> the rest of your relationship... and then, some court may throw it out,
> anyway! For better or worse, in sickness and in health... I'd focus on
> showing how vast and competent the MediaWiki community is, rather than
> waste much time on portability.
>
> "Yea, you can get your data out" is all the answer you need. Then some
> poor schmuck will be stuck porting that data for the rest of the project's
> lifetime.
>
> :::: Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the
> frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality.
> It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics. -- Albert
> Einstein
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation