[MediaWiki-l] Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

[MediaWiki-l] Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Amir Sarabadani-2
Hello all,
Based on several discussions here and there I want to move
[[Manual:Pywikibot]] <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PWB> (and all of the
subpages which are about 200 pages) to [[Pywikibot]] like other products

Another reason that motivates me to move is the page (and subpages) aren't
just about running a bot. they are about everything, including reports,
discussions, description about scripts and anything about pywikibot in
general.

If you disagree or you have any ideas please feel free to share and if
there will be no objection until Tuesday, I'll move them.

Best
--
Amir

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Billinghurst
On Sat, 24 May 2014 06:21:32 +0430, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Hello all,
> Based on several discussions here and there I want to move
> [[Manual:Pywikibot]] <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PWB> (and all of
the
> subpages which are about 200 pages) to [[Pywikibot]] like other products
>
> Another reason that motivates me to move is the page (and subpages)
aren't
> just about running a bot. they are about everything, including reports,
> discussions, description about scripts and anything about pywikibot in
> general.
>
> If you disagree or you have any ideas please feel free to share and if
> there will be no objection until Tuesday, I'll move them.
>
> Best

Really? If that is the intention, then we should be looking to reword
components of mediawiki.org, as that seems to be a bit of disconnect ...

[[Project:Namespaces]] says

Main:   All general information ''about'' the software.
Manual: All technical or more detailed stuff behind the surface, that is
not part of the basic help pages (full handbook, mainly for people setting
up their own wiki).
Extension: All extensions and directly related stuff. ...  Extensions and
tools, that are not part of the default MediaWiki distribution.

If it is not integral to the operations of Mediawiki, doesn't it belong in
with the tools?

Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Amir Sarabadani-2
The problem is PWB can't fit in any of the any of the namespace
completely, for example about the manual: "mainly for people setting
up their own wiki": No one needs to start their own wiki to make a bot
running and it's not too technical to be there.

in other hands main namespace never was completely about general
information about mediawiki software. you can find pages like
[[Flow]], [[Echo]], etc. that they are completely separated from
mediawiki core and they have lots of subpages in the main namespace
too

On 5/24/14, billinghurst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2014 06:21:32 +0430, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> Based on several discussions here and there I want to move
>> [[Manual:Pywikibot]] <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/PWB> (and all of
> the
>> subpages which are about 200 pages) to [[Pywikibot]] like other products
>>
>> Another reason that motivates me to move is the page (and subpages)
> aren't
>> just about running a bot. they are about everything, including reports,
>> discussions, description about scripts and anything about pywikibot in
>> general.
>>
>> If you disagree or you have any ideas please feel free to share and if
>> there will be no objection until Tuesday, I'll move them.
>>
>> Best
>
> Really? If that is the intention, then we should be looking to reword
> components of mediawiki.org, as that seems to be a bit of disconnect ...
>
> [[Project:Namespaces]] says
>
> Main:   All general information ''about'' the software.
> Manual: All technical or more detailed stuff behind the surface, that is
> not part of the basic help pages (full handbook, mainly for people setting
> up their own wiki).
> Extension: All extensions and directly related stuff. ...  Extensions and
> tools, that are not part of the default MediaWiki distribution.
>
> If it is not integral to the operations of Mediawiki, doesn't it belong in
> with the tools?
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

Amir

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Amir Sarabadani-2
Another good example would be [[Gerrit]] and it's subpages

--
Amir

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Billinghurst
Seems that we have made some interesting decisions about where our tools
sit, and the purpose of our main namespace for Mediawiki.org.

I was merely pointing out the logic against the words we used. I don't
mind which but let us fix the discrepancies in placement, or words, or
logic.

Regards, Billinghurst

On Sat, 24 May 2014 10:23:46 +0430, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Another good example would be [[Gerrit]] and it's subpages
>
> On 5/24/14, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The problem is PWB can't fit in any of the any of the namespace
>> completely, for example about the manual: "mainly for people setting
>> up their own wiki": No one needs to start their own wiki to make a bot
>> running and it's not too technical to be there.
>>
>> in other hands main namespace never was completely about general
>> information about mediawiki software. you can find pages like
>> [[Flow]], [[Echo]], etc. that they are completely separated from
>> mediawiki core and they have lots of subpages in the main namespace
>> too
>>
>> On 5/24/14, billinghurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 24 May 2014 06:21:32 +0430, Amir Ladsgroup
<[hidden email]>

>>> the

>>> aren't

>>> Really? If that is the intention, then we should be looking to reword
>>> components of mediawiki.org, as that seems to be a bit of disconnect
>>>
>>> [[Project:Namespaces]] says
>>>
>>> Main:   All general information ''about'' the software.
>>> Manual: All technical or more detailed stuff behind the surface, that
is
>>> not part of the basic help pages (full handbook, mainly for people
>>> setting
>>> up their own wiki).
>>> Extension: All extensions and directly related stuff. ...  Extensions
>>> and
>>> tools, that are not part of the default MediaWiki distribution.
>>>
>>> If it is not integral to the operations of Mediawiki, doesn't it
belong

>>> in
>>> with the tools?
>>>
>>> Regards, Billinghurst

>> --
>> Amir

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Subpages of [[Flow]], [[Echo]] and the like must not contain
documentation: if you find documentation under them, move it to Manual
or Help namespace. (Only a negligible portion of pages should be in
breach though.)

Pywikibot is not forced to have everything under one page, that's just a
byproduct of the import from Meta. If there is a cluster of
non-documentation material on the development process or whatever, it
would be useful to collect it under a single place in ns0.

Nemo

Re: Moving Manual:Pywikibot to Pywikibot

Amir Sarabadani-2
It's not correct see this for example:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit/Advanced_usage It's a textbook manual
and exists in main namespace and I can show lots of similar pages.

So you say we change "Manual:Pywikibot" to "Pywikibot", change
"Manual:Pywikibot/2.0/Porting status" to "Pywikibot/2.0/Porting status" and
etc. but keep, "Manual:Pywikibot/Installation"? It doesn't make sense to me

Best

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Subpages of [[Flow]], [[Echo]] and the like must not contain
> documentation: if you find documentation under them, move it to Manual or
> Help namespace. (Only a negligible portion of pages should be in breach
> though.)
>
> Pywikibot is not forced to have everything under one page, that's just a
> byproduct of the import from Meta. If there is a cluster of
> non-documentation material on the development process or whatever, it would
> be useful to collect it under a single place in ns0.
>
> Nemo

Amir