[MediaWiki-l] Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

[MediaWiki-l] Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

kghbln
Heiya,

just a quick question. Let's assume that I set up mulitple foreign file
repos for my wiki. What happens when e.g. two of them contain a file
with the same name? Will the wiki a) error out, b) show nothing, c) show
the first file it finds d) show an arbitrary file from the set if finds
or ...

Thanks for your insight.

Cheers,

Karsten

Re: Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

kghbln
Well, I was asking about step 2 prior to step 1. Is it even possible to
set up multiple foreign file repos (api) and how could this be done?

Cheers Karsten

Am 13.03.2018 um 12:17 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya,
>
> just a quick question. Let's assume that I set up mulitple foreign file
> repos for my wiki. What happens when e.g. two of them contain a file
> with the same name? Will the wiki a) error out, b) show nothing, c) show
> the first file it finds d) show an arbitrary file from the set if finds
> or ...
>
> Thanks for your insight.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Karsten

Re: Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

Brian Wolff
Yeah, it should be possible. $wgForeignFileRepos is an array and can
take multiple entries. Its probably not tested very often, but no
reason it shouldn't work. If you do run in to trouble, file a bug.

I expect (but didn't test) that if there are multiple files with same
name, it will show the first one it finds

--
Brian

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I was asking about step 2 prior to step 1. Is it even possible to
> set up multiple foreign file repos (api) and how could this be done?
>
> Cheers Karsten
>

> Am 13.03.2018 um 12:17 schrieb [[kgh]]:
>> Heiya,
>>
>> just a quick question. Let's assume that I set up mulitple foreign file
>> repos for my wiki. What happens when e.g. two of them contain a file
>> with the same name? Will the wiki a) error out, b) show nothing, c) show
>> the first file it finds d) show an arbitrary file from the set if finds
>> or ...
>>
>> Thanks for your insight.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Karsten

Re: Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

Bartosz Dziewoński
We have this setup in Wikimedia production (kinda…): test2.wikipedia.org
has both test.wikipedia.org and commons.wikimedia.org configured as
foreign file repos. Conveniently it's a testing wiki, so you can try out
how exactly this works.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Multiple foreign file repos for one wiki

kghbln
Thanks a lot for your answers Brian and Bartosz! It indeed is a great
feature if it was possible to configure multiple foreign file repos.

I have just tested on test2wiki and it seems that either the file
uploaded first is preferred or an arbitrary file of the two is used. I
guess I should document this.

@Bartosz Could you point me to the configuration of the two repos for
test2wiki? I was not able to find anything related to this in
"InitialiseSettings.php" etc. I suspect / speculate that it is done via
the "ForeignDBViaLBRepo" class which would not help me. But one never
knows. Trying to somehow create an array of arrays with the
"ForeignAPIRepo" class does not work.

What I have locally realized on my personal testwiki with the following
setting is I get all files from hewiki and commonswiki as well. This
suprised me a bit though I have to note that description fetching only
works for hewiki files.

$wgForeignFileRepos[] = [
    'class' => 'ForeignAPIRepo',
    'name' => 'hewikipedia',
    'apibase' => 'https://he.wikipedia.org/w/api.php',
    'url' => 'https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/he',
    'thumbUrl' => 'https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/he/thumb',
    'hashLevels' => 2,
    'transformVia404' => false,
    'fetchDescription' => true,
    'descriptionCacheExpiry' => 43200,
    'apiThumbCacheExpiry' => 0,
];

Cheers Karsten

On 2018-03-14 12:11, [[kgh]] wrote:
> @Bartosz Could you point me to the configuration of the two repos for
> test2wiki? I was not able to find anything related to this in
> "InitialiseSettings.php" etc. I suspect / speculate that it is done via
> the "ForeignDBViaLBRepo" class which would not help me. But one never
> knows. Trying to somehow create an array of arrays with the
> "ForeignAPIRepo" class does not work.

It's in a separate file:
https://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/highlight.php?file=filebackend.php

Search for '$wgForeignFileRepos' near the end.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński