[MediaWiki-l] New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

[MediaWiki-l] New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Yaron Koren-2
Hi everyone,

We're very pleased to announce the release of a new WYSIWYG extension for
MediaWiki, "TinyMCE":

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TinyMCE

As you can probably guess from the name, this extension lets you use
TinyMCE, a popular (and open source) web-based WYSIWYG editor, to edit wiki
pages and textarea fields within the PageForms extension.

We have created this extension based on one called "VisualEditor", which is
part of the BlueSpice package:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor_(BlueSpice)

It is not related to the much-better-known extension also called
VisualEditor, other than that they're both WYSIWYG editors.

The BlueSpice VisualEditor extension was developed by a team at the company
Hallo Welt!. Duncan then worked to turn this into a true standalone
extension, while I helped with some of the more MediaWiki-related aspects
of it.

Why another WYSIWYG extension? This extension is not as good at editing
wiki pages as VisualEditor (the better-known one). However, it has a number
of advantages, most notably the fact that it's quite a bit easier to
install, since it doesn't require any outside libraries or services - you
just download the code, install it, and everything (hopefully) works.
Another major advantage, for those who use the Page Forms extension, is
that it's easily integrated into the textarea inputs of forms.

Feel free to try this out on your wikis, and let us know on the talk page
if you run into any issues.

Yaron and Duncan

Re: New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Katharina Wolkwitz
Hi Yaron and Duncan,

thank you for this extension!
I've just installed it on my wiki and am simply thrilled with how fast I now
have a WYSIYWYG-editor up and running!

And the best: it's running side-by-side with the "original" editor-interface, so
all those who do not want to change over don't have to.

Kate

Am 14.03.2018 um 00:25 schrieb Yaron Koren:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We're very pleased to announce the release of a new WYSIWYG extension for
> MediaWiki, "TinyMCE":
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TinyMCE
>
> As you can probably guess from the name, this extension lets you use
> TinyMCE, a popular (and open source) web-based WYSIWYG editor, to edit wiki
> pages and textarea fields within the PageForms extension.
>
> We have created this extension based on one called "VisualEditor", which is
> part of the BlueSpice package:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor_(BlueSpice)
>
> It is not related to the much-better-known extension also called
> VisualEditor, other than that they're both WYSIWYG editors.
>
> The BlueSpice VisualEditor extension was developed by a team at the company
> Hallo Welt!. Duncan then worked to turn this into a true standalone
> extension, while I helped with some of the more MediaWiki-related aspects
> of it.
>
> Why another WYSIWYG extension? This extension is not as good at editing
> wiki pages as VisualEditor (the better-known one). However, it has a number
> of advantages, most notably the fact that it's quite a bit easier to
> install, since it doesn't require any outside libraries or services - you
> just download the code, install it, and everything (hopefully) works.
> Another major advantage, for those who use the Page Forms extension, is
> that it's easily integrated into the textarea inputs of forms.
>
> Feel free to try this out on your wikis, and let us know on the talk page
> if you run into any issues.
>
> Yaron and Duncan

Re: New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Katharina Wolkwitz
Hi Yaron and Duncan,

after having had the opportunity to test TinyMCE on a few existing pages, I'm
now sad to report that I've had to disable it again, since it "wrecked" to many
of the existing formatting sets.

It espicially had problems with code like:

when it followed bullet-lists

Also I very often got error messages when I tried to safe pages (something with
"loop" in it)...

I really hope you'll be able to fix those problems very soon.

Kate

Am 14.03.2018 um 14:35 schrieb Katharina Wolkwitz:

> Hi Yaron and Duncan,
>
> thank you for this extension!
> I've just installed it on my wiki and am simply thrilled with how fast I now
> have a WYSIYWYG-editor up and running!
>
> And the best: it's running side-by-side with the "original" editor-interface, so
> all those who do not want to change over don't have to.
>
> Kate
>
> Am 14.03.2018 um 00:25 schrieb Yaron Koren:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We're very pleased to announce the release of a new WYSIWYG extension for
>> MediaWiki, "TinyMCE":
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TinyMCE
>>
>> As you can probably guess from the name, this extension lets you use
>> TinyMCE, a popular (and open source) web-based WYSIWYG editor, to edit wiki
>> pages and textarea fields within the PageForms extension.
>>
>> We have created this extension based on one called "VisualEditor", which is
>> part of the BlueSpice package:
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:VisualEditor_(BlueSpice)
>>
>> It is not related to the much-better-known extension also called
>> VisualEditor, other than that they're both WYSIWYG editors.
>>
>> The BlueSpice VisualEditor extension was developed by a team at the company
>> Hallo Welt!. Duncan then worked to turn this into a true standalone
>> extension, while I helped with some of the more MediaWiki-related aspects
>> of it.
>>
>> Why another WYSIWYG extension? This extension is not as good at editing
>> wiki pages as VisualEditor (the better-known one). However, it has a number
>> of advantages, most notably the fact that it's quite a bit easier to
>> install, since it doesn't require any outside libraries or services - you
>> just download the code, install it, and everything (hopefully) works.
>> Another major advantage, for those who use the Page Forms extension, is
>> that it's easily integrated into the textarea inputs of forms.
>>
>> Feel free to try this out on your wikis, and let us know on the talk page
>> if you run into any issues.
>>
>> Yaron and Duncan

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Katharina Wolkwitz

Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Bibliothek
Haldener Straße 182
58095 Hagen
Tel.: 02331/9330-607
FAX:  02331/9330-608
[hidden email]
http://www.fh-swf.de/bib

Re: New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Kate,

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. We actually had some recent
improvements to the TinyMCE code that may fix the problems some of you're
seeing - could you make sure that you're using the latest version of the
code?

There's no question that TinyMCE is not perfect with wikitext, and it
probably never will be. I'm wondering about that specific wikitext, though
- why do you have a "<br>" in the middle of it? That seems to be what
causes the problem, at least when I try it.

Also, if you see an error message again, it would be great if you could
send me the full wikitext of the page where it happens.

-Yaron

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Katharina Wolkwitz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>> company
>>> Hallo Welt!. Duncan then worked to turn this into a true standalone
>>> extension, while I helped with some of the more MediaWiki-related aspects
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> Why another WYSIWYG extension? This extension is not as good at editing
>>> wiki pages as VisualEditor (the better-known one). However, it has a
>>> number
>>> of advantages, most notably the fact that it's quite a bit easier to
>>> install, since it doesn't require any outside libraries or services - you
>>> just download the code, install it, and everything (hopefully) works.
>>> Another major advantage, for those who use the Page Forms extension, is
>>> that it's easily integrated into the textarea inputs of forms.
>>>
>>> Feel free to try this out on your wikis, and let us know on the talk page

thank you for your quick answer.

To be honest, I'm not sure, where the <br> inside the navigation-snippet came
from. I've managed to eliminate it with the help of the text-replace-extension
and now TinyMCE seems to have a lot less problems with the already existing
pages then before. :-)

I've still managed to produce the error-message when hitting the safe-button and
copied it for you:

Sorry, an infinite loop occurred. The editor had to shut down.
Please check your wiki page for errors.

It seems this occurs when I try to edit the whole page that starts with a
template-call {{TOCright}}

Here is the corresponding template-code:

{| cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" style="clear: {{{clear|right}}};
margin-bottom: .5em; float: right; padding: .5em 0 .8em 1.4em; background: none;
width: {{{width|{{{1|auto}}}}}};" {{#if:{{{limit|}}}|class="toclimit-{{{limit}}}"}}
| __TOC__
|}

I've copied it years ago from somewhere and it's always done it what it's
supposed to do, but maybe there's a bug in it somewhere?

When this error occurs, it seems the rest of the page gets jumbeled up as
well... I've just found mixed up headers further down in the page for example.

It's a page with quite a lot of code-snippets in it (called "PHP und
vufind-Tipps") so I'm afraid, getting heads- and tails of what is jumbled up and
what is the correct code is not that simple.

Kate

Am 22.03.2018 um 14:43 schrieb Yaron Koren:

> Hi Kate,
>
> I'm sorry to hear about this problem. We actually had some recent
> improvements to the TinyMCE code that may fix the problems some of you're
> seeing - could you make sure that you're using the latest version of the
> code?
>
> There's no question that TinyMCE is not perfect with wikitext, and it
> probably never will be. I'm wondering about that specific wikitext, though
> - why do you have a "<br>" in the middle of it? That seems to be what
> causes the problem, at least when I try it.
>
> Also, if you see an error message again, it would be great if you could
> send me the full wikitext of the page where it happens.
>
> -Yaron
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Katharina Wolkwitz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Yaron and Duncan,
>>
>> after having had the opportunity to test TinyMCE on a few existing pages,
>> I'm now sad to report that I've had to disable it again, since it "wrecked"
>> to many of the existing formatting sets.
>>
>> It espicially had problems with code like:

>> when it followed bullet-lists
>>
>> Also I very often got error messages when I tried to safe pages (something
>> with "loop" in it)...
>>
>> I really hope you'll be able to fix those problems very soon.
>>
>> Kate
>>

>> Am 14.03.2018 um 14:35 schrieb Katharina Wolkwitz:
>>
>>> Hi Yaron and Duncan,
>>>
>>> thank you for this extension!
>>> I've just installed it on my wiki and am simply thrilled with how fast I
>>> now
>>> have a WYSIYWYG-editor up and running!
>>>
>>> And the best: it's running side-by-side with the "original"
>>> editor-interface, so
>>> all those who do not want to change over don't have to.
>>>
>>> Kate

>> --
>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>>
>> Katharina Wolkwitz
>>
>> Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
>> Bibliothek
>> Haldener Straße 182
>> 58095 Hagen
>> Tel.: 02331/9330-607
>> FAX:  02331/9330-608
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.fh-swf.de/bib

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Katharina Wolkwitz

Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Bibliothek
Haldener Straße 182
58095 Hagen
Tel.: 02331/9330-607
FAX:  02331/9330-608
[hidden email]
http://www.fh-swf.de/bib

Re: New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Katharina Wolkwitz
Hi again,

I've found another bug with TinyMCE: when trying to edit a new category the
edit-link in the browser:

http://wiki.fhb.fh-swf.de/wiki/index.php?title=Kategorie:Test&action=tinymceedit&redlink=1

leads to the following errormessage:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method Article::openShowCategory() in
/srv/www/htdocs/wiki/includes/EditPage.php on line 3222

Luckily, simply editing the browser-link to:

http://wiki.fhb.fh-swf.de/wiki/index.php?title=Kategorie:Test&action=edit&redlink=1

solves the problem by opening the original editor for the category and it's not
a thing that my normal users do every day...

Kate

Re: New MediaWiki extension: TinyMCE

Yaron Koren-2
Hi Kate,

We made a small change to the code which may or may not fix some of these
bugs - though not the last one, which I can't reproduce; we'll have to look
further into what's going on with that. But I would recommend upgrading
TinyMCE and trying it again.

-Yaron

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Katharina Wolkwitz <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've found another bug with TinyMCE: when trying to edit a new category
> the edit-link in the browser:
>
> http://wiki.fhb.fh-swf.de/wiki/index.php?title=Kategorie:
> Test&action=tinymceedit&redlink=1
>
> leads to the following errormessage:
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined method Article::openShowCategory() in
> /srv/www/htdocs/wiki/includes/EditPage.php on line 3222
>
> Luckily, simply editing the browser-link to:
>
> http://wiki.fhb.fh-swf.de/wiki/index.php?title=Kategorie:
> Test&action=edit&redlink=1
>
> solves the problem by opening the original editor for the category and
> it's not a thing that my normal users do every day...
>
> Kate

Bri

[MediaWiki-l] Category Suppression on page

Bri
Is there a way to suppress adding a page to a category?  This would be
especially helpful for user pages and sandbox pages. What I am looking
for is something like:

{{sandbox}}
{{suppresscat}} or __NOCAT__

{{Foo|Bar}}
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
[[Category:Foo]]

Where [[Category:Foo]] is suppressed and categories from template
{{Foo}} are suppressed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Brian

Re: Category Suppression on page

Martin Urbanec
This will be very useful for me. Sadly I can do similar thing by writing
custom JS.

Martin

Dne ne 25. bře 2018 21:45 uživatel Bri <[hidden email]> napsal:

> Is there a way to suppress adding a page to a category?  This would be
> especially helpful for user pages and sandbox pages. What I am looking
> for is something like:
>
> {{sandbox}}
> {{suppresscat}} or __NOCAT__
>
> {{Foo|Bar}}
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> [[Category:Foo]]
>
> Where [[Category:Foo]] is suppressed and categories from template
> {{Foo}} are suppressed.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> -Brian

Re: Category Suppression on page

Brian Wolff
Does https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NoCat work for your purposes?

--
Brian

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Bri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to suppress adding a page to a category?  This would be
> especially helpful for user pages and sandbox pages. What I am looking for
> is something like:
>
> {{sandbox}}
> {{suppresscat}} or __NOCAT__
>
> {{Foo|Bar}}
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah
> [[Category:Foo]]
>
> Where [[Category:Foo]] is suppressed and categories from template {{Foo}}
> are suppressed.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> -Brian

Re: Category Suppression on page