[MediaWiki-l] New extensions from Vistaprint

[MediaWiki-l] New extensions from Vistaprint

Daniel Renfro-3
At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these extensions as open source. They range from very small (see below) to quite powerful & unique.

To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process, we're beginning with a very small but useful extension: CategoryTagSorter. It simply alphabetizes the category links displayed in articles. (Normally they appear in the same order written as in the wikitext.) It has been called "the simplest useful MediaWiki extension" and was written originally by Dan Barrett (User:Maiden_taiwan, also author of the O'Reilly MediaWiki book).

Have a look at the documentation at: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTagSorter
View the code at: https://git.wikimedia.org/log/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCategoryTagSorter

We are looking forward to releasing more extensions in the coming months, and hope to become more involved in the MediaWiki community in general. Questions and/or comments can be sent to me directly, or to [hidden email].

Cheers,
--Daniel Renfro (User:AlephNull) and the rest of the MediaWiki development team at Vistaprint

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

David Gerard-2
On 11 October 2013 17:33, Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these extensions as open source. They range from very small (see below) to quite powerful & unique.

\o/

- d.

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Quim Gil-2
Hello Daniel,

On 10/11/2013 09:33 AM, Daniel Renfro wrote:
> At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal
> wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom
> MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to
> release these extensions as open source. They range from very small
> (see below) to quite powerful & unique.

This is great news!

> To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process

Your developer feedback is welcome at the wikitech-l mailing list.

Also, if you really plan to move about 50 extension to open developement
you might want to have a Vistaprint page to document the progress and
index the extensions you are contributing. I'm sure many people (like
me) will be interested in watching that page and follow your progress.

I wish you new users and contributions to your new open source projects!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Daniel Renfro-3
Hi Quim,

I've stubbed a category page (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Vistaprint_extensions) that I plan on filling out with more information. Right now I'm still working on the lengthy documentation for the process here at Vistaprint. Thanks for the positive feedback, and I'll definitely ask questions on wikitech-l!

-Daniel

On 10/11/2013 09:33 AM, Daniel Renfro wrote:
> At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal
> wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom
> MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to
> release these extensions as open source. They range from very small
> (see below) to quite powerful & unique.

This is great news!

> To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process

Your developer feedback is welcome at the wikitech-l mailing list.

Also, if you really plan to move about 50 extension to open developement you might want to have a Vistaprint page to document the progress and index the extensions you are contributing. I'm sure many people (like
me) will be interested in watching that page and follow your progress.

I wish you new users and contributions to your new open source projects!

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

John Doe-27
Kinda simple question, I havent reviewed the code, but would it be possible
to setup this extension so that the default action is kept as is, but have
a user preference to enable this extension (IE opt-in vs opt-out)?

John

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Quim,
>
> I've stubbed a category page (
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Vistaprint_extensions) that I plan
> on filling out with more information. Right now I'm still working on the
> lengthy documentation for the process here at Vistaprint. Thanks for the
> positive feedback, and I'll definitely ask questions on wikitech-l!
>
> -Daniel

Bartosz Dziewoński
On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:03:16 +0200, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kinda simple question, I havent reviewed the code, but would it be possible
> to setup this extension so that the default action is kept as is, but have
> a user preference to enable this extension (IE opt-in vs opt-out)?

$wgDefaultUserOptions['categorysortdisable'] = 1;

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgDefaultUserOptions

--
Matma Rex

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Jan Steinman
> From: Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]>
>
> At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these extensions as open source.

Wonderful! Thank you (and Vistaprint) for doing this!

I look forward to announcements as they roll out, and I'm watching the category page.

Personally, I've been looking for a nice charting/graphing extension that can query MySQL tables. Almost wrote one several times, but real work got in the way...

:::: It's hard to believe in miracles when the miracle workers have to put down their magic wands and reach for an old-fashioned snow shovel. -- Hal Borland

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Wonderful indeed. Hopefully, this will help you in maintaining your code
better without adding too much overhead to your work.
The page Quim asked would also be useful in the end as a source for a
post on blog.wikimedia.org, which seems appropriate for such an effort
(there's time to think about it later).
On CategoryTagSorter I asked a question on talk; on the process in
general, please remember to document what are the obstacles you
encounter in the process (which you may forget later) and what are the
highest "costs" of the move when at full steam. Something like "30 % of
the time for each extension is spent figuring out those crazy
mediawiki.org templates"; it's fine on your own internal docs, to be
shared with us later so that we can reduce attrition or tell others in
the future.

Nemo

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Daniel Renfro-3
Cheers Nemo,

I agree that an article showing the process that we use(d) to open-source extensions would be beneficial to the MediaWiki community. Right now  my documentation covers a number of steps specific to our environment; things like setting up a MediaWiki "clean-room," legal issues, security issues, etc. Most of the docs are applicable to the community at large though. The hardest task was figuring out how to use git, git-review, and gerrit...I'm very much ingrained to using subversion! (Maybe this isn't an issue for all developers.)

Also, Nemo, I answered your question on the Talk page. (My email filter was a little too aggressive and thought the alert message was spam!)
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:CategoryTagSorter

--Daniel    ( User:AlephNull )

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Antoine Musso-3
Le 11/10/13 18:33, Daniel Renfro a écrit :
> Have a look at the documentation at: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTagSorter
> View the code at: https://git.wikimedia.org/log/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCategoryTagSorter

I have added the Jenkins jobs that runs the unit tests :-]

https://integration.wikimedia.org/ci/job/mwext-CategoryTagSorter-testextensions-master/

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Hi guys,

I'd like to build a staff directory using Semantic MediaWiki and smw forms.
 Just wondering if you tackled such a thing and might be able to share.
 Or, do you know where to find an example since my Google-fu is failing me.

~ Greg

Greg Rundlett
http://eQuality-Tech.com
http://freephile.org

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]>wrote:

> At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal wiki,
> and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki
> extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these
> extensions as open source. They range from very small (see below) to quite
> powerful & unique.
>
> To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process, we're
> beginning with a very small but useful extension: CategoryTagSorter. It
> simply alphabetizes the category links displayed in articles. (Normally
> they appear in the same order written as in the wikitext.) It has been
> called "the simplest useful MediaWiki extension" and was written originally
> by Dan Barrett (User:Maiden_taiwan, also author of the O'Reilly MediaWiki
> book).
>
> Have a look at the documentation at:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTagSorter
> View the code at:
> https://git.wikimedia.org/log/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCategoryTagSorter
>
> We are looking forward to releasing more extensions in the coming months,
> and hope to become more involved in the MediaWiki community in general.
> Questions and/or comments can be sent to me directly, or to
> [hidden email].
>
> Cheers,
> --Daniel Renfro (User:AlephNull) and the rest of the MediaWiki development
> team at Vistaprint

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Daniel Renfro-3
Cheers Greg,

We here at Vistaprint have very little experience with SMW/SMW forms. I personally experimented with it at my last job[1] but haven't used it in years. Our staff directory consists of a home-rolled extension that uses locally cached information from ActiveDirectory (via LDAP.) I also didn't find much via Google on implementing a personnel-directory with SMW...I don't think there is much out there. It sounds very plausible and I encourage you to try SMW, I've heard great things about it.

You might want to have a look at the WikiData project, too.[2] It provides a centralized place for structured data - it solves a different problem than SMW, though. [3]

Best wishes,
--Daniel

[1.] http://ecoliwiki.net
[2.] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Main_Page
[3.] https://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/SMW_and_Wikidata

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com<http://www.vistaprint.com>), we have an extensive internal wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these extensions as open source. They range from very small (see below) to quite powerful & unique.

To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process, we're beginning with a very small but useful extension: CategoryTagSorter. It simply alphabetizes the category links displayed in articles. (Normally they appear in the same order written as in the wikitext.) It has been called "the simplest useful MediaWiki extension" and was written originally by Dan Barrett (User:Maiden_taiwan, also author of the O'Reilly MediaWiki book).

Have a look at the documentation at: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTagSorter
View the code at: https://git.wikimedia.org/log/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCategoryTagSorter

We are looking forward to releasing more extensions in the coming months, and hope to become more involved in the MediaWiki community in general. Questions and/or comments can be sent to me directly, or to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.

Cheers,
--Daniel Renfro (User:AlephNull) and the rest of the MediaWiki development team at Vistaprint

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Greg Rundlett (freephile)
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Daniel Renfro <[hidden email]>
 wrote:

> Cheers Greg,
>

> We here at Vistaprint have very little experience with SMW/SMW forms. I
> personally experimented with it at my last job[1] but haven't used it in
> years. Our staff directory consists of a home-rolled extension that uses
> locally cached information from ActiveDirectory (via LDAP.) I also didn't
> find much via Google on implementing a personnel-directory with SMW...I don't
> think there is much out there. It sounds very plausible and I encourage you
> to try SMW, I've heard great things about it.

Well, I tried it and succeeded at making a Company Staff Directory using
Semantic MediaWiki and the PageSchema extension.  Much thanks to Yaron
Koren for his help :-)

This "PageSchema" sets up a Category entry for "Person".  Using the Page
Schema extension, you can generate the templates, properties and forms for
the object.  Then, using DataTransfer I was able to inport a CSV to
populate my Company Directory with people.  I did have to do a bit of
manual tweaking (for example you can't specify an uploadable file input
through PageSchema, so I had to adjust the semantic form manually.)  If I
get time, I plan to implement a bigger project and/or do a writeup and
documentation.

I'd say this was a LOT faster than the time I setup an LDAP directory.  Of
course it's not an LDAP directory, but it could proove to be more useful.

<PageSchema>
  <semanticforms_Form name="Person">
    <CreateTitle>Create a new Person</CreateTitle>
    <EditTitle>Edit Person</EditTitle>
    <standardInputs freeTextLabel="Free text" inputFreeText="1"
inputWatch="1" inputSave="1" inputCancel="1"/>
  </semanticforms_Form>
  <Template name="Person" format="standard">
    <Field name="First Name">
      <Label>First Name</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Text</Type>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>text</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Last Name">
      <Label>Last Name</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Text</Type>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>text</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Company" display="nonempty">
      <Label>Company</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Page</Type>
        <AllowedValue>Benu (Billerica)</AllowedValue>
        <AllowedValue>Benu (Contractor)</AllowedValue>
        <AllowedValue>Benu (India)</AllowedValue>
        <AllowedValue>PrimeSoft</AllowedValue>
        <AllowedValue>Tech Mahindra</AllowedValue>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>dropdown</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Department">
      <Label>Department</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Page</Type>
          <AllowedValue>Engineering</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Engineering - Tech Pubs</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Engineering - Sustaining</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Engineering - SQA</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Manufacturing</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>General &amp; Administrative</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Sales Engineering</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Sales</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Support</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Marketing</AllowedValue>
          <AllowedValue>Other</AllowedValue>
        </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>dropdown</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Manager">
      <Label>Manager</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Text</Type>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>text with autocomplete</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Email Address">
      <Label>Email Address</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Email</Type>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput/>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Subversion Username">
      <Label>Subversion Username</Label>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>text</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
  </Template>
  <Template name="Skill" multiple="multiple" format="plain">
    <semanticforms_TemplateDetails>
      <Label>Skills</Label>
    </semanticforms_TemplateDetails>
    <Field name="Skill Name">
      <Label>Skill</Label>
      <semanticmediawiki_Property name="">
        <Type>Page</Type>
      </semanticmediawiki_Property>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>combobox</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
    <Field name="Photo" display="nonempty">
      <Label>Photo</Label>
      <semanticforms_FormInput>
        <InputType>text with autocomplete</InputType>
      </semanticforms_FormInput>
    </Field>
  </Template>
</PageSchema>

Greg Rundlett
http://eQuality-Tech.com
http://freephile.org

Re: New extensions from Vistaprint

Daniel Renfro-3
Glad to hear it worked out!
Have you read Yaron's MediaWiki book?  I found it quite helpful when investigating SMW at my last job.
[ http://www.amazon.com/Working-MediaWiki-Yaron-Koren/dp/0615720307 ]

--Daniel