[MediaWiki-l] Page disappeared

Steve VanSlyck
Well this is weird.

I had a page on my wiki.

Created file link on it

[[File:The_Proud_Father.jpg|right|thumb|250px|The Proud Father. Sam
Brown, ca. 1920-30]]

Saved the page.

Followed the link.

Uploaded the file (3021 x 3575, 1.55MB)...

... and, ever since then both that file's page and the article page it
was to appear on, are blank. Server is not serving any code at all.

Some sort of PHP or memory limit? I can view other pages just fine.

Re: Page disappeared

Alex Monk
Try checking your PHP error log. It's probably somewhere like
/var/log/apache2/error.log

Alex Monk

On 12 March 2013 00:45, Steve VanSlyck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a page on my wiki.
> Created file link on it
> [[File:The_Proud_Father.jpg|right|thumb|250px|The Proud Father. Sam Brown,
> ca. 1920-30]]
> Saved the page.
> Followed the link.
> Uploaded the file (3021 x 3575, 1.55MB)...
> ... and, ever since then both that file's page and the article page it was
> to appear on, are blank. Server is not serving any code at all.
> Some sort of PHP or memory limit? I can view other pages just fine.

White page? Sounds plausible. Switch on php_errors.log and see what it says.

- d.

Re: Page disappeared

On 12 March 2013 00:47, Krenair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try checking your PHP error log. It's probably somewhere like
> /var/log/apache2/error.log

That's the Apache error log, not the PHP error one (which is
separate), although it might also help.

- d.

Re: Page disappeared

Platonides
On 12/03/13 01:45, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> Well this is weird.
>
> I had a page on my wiki.
>
> Created file link on it
>
> [[File:The_Proud_Father.jpg|right|thumb|250px|The Proud Father. Sam
> Brown, ca. 1920-30]]
>
> Saved the page.
>
> Followed the link.
>
> Uploaded the file (3021 x 3575, 1.55MB)...
>
> ... and, ever since then both that file's page and the article page it
> was to appear on, are blank. Server is not serving any code at all.
>
> Some sort of PHP or memory limit? I can view other pages just fine.

Ou probably make the thumbnails using gd, and trying to thumbnail this
image makes php surpass the memory limit. Note how both the File page
and the page it is linked from try to create it.
You can access the edit url directly to remove the file.

See the php error log, as instructed by others, to confirm this. You can
also make the thumbnails with imagemagick, which spawns a new process,
that way php won't die.

Re: Page disappeared

Joe Flanagan
unsubscribe

On 12/03/13 01:45, Steve VanSlyck wrote:

> Well this is weird.
>
> I had a page on my wiki.
>
> Created file link on it
>
> [[File:The_Proud_Father.jpg|right|thumb|250px|The Proud Father. Sam
> Brown, ca. 1920-30]]
>
> Saved the page.
>
> Followed the link.
>
> Uploaded the file (3021 x 3575, 1.55MB)...
>
> ... and, ever since then both that file's page and the article page it
> was to appear on, are blank. Server is not serving any code at all.
>
> Some sort of PHP or memory limit? I can view other pages just fine.

Ou probably make the thumbnails using gd, and trying to thumbnail this
image makes php surpass the memory limit. Note how both the File page
and the page it is linked from try to create it.
You can access the edit url directly to remove the file.

See the php error log, as instructed by others, to confirm this. You can
also make the thumbnails with imagemagick, which spawns a new process,
that way php won't die.

Re: Page disappeared

Steve VanSlyck
Platonides and all...

I was unable to do anything useful via the edit URL, but was able to
delete the file via the delete URL.

Server admin hasn't been able to help me yet (his wetware
multiprocessing unit has simultaneous process/threading limitations
which prevented me from having priority over other things like, well,
his day job), but deleting the file got me where I needed to be. For the
moment I can re-size the file and then upload it using the "frame"
option instead of "thumb."

I'll have to ask about whether they'd be willing to install ImageMagic.

Gracias.