[MediaWiki-l] Page move results in deletion

[MediaWiki-l] Page move results in deletion

Huji Lee
Hi

Formrely, when you moved a page to a new title that is a redirect with no
other history, the history would move over and the first page would become
a redirect.

Recently I noticed that this results in *deleting* the target page first,
i.e. a deletion log is created. It is interesting that users without delete
right (i.e. not sysop) can also do this and generate deletion logs.

Is this a new change? I cannot backtrack it in code. I am not sure if
letting non-deleters generating delete logs is a good idea.

Huji

Re: Page move results in deletion

John Doe-27
It's just logging the pre-existing behavior. Better paper trail

On Saturday, August 27, 2016, Huji Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Formrely, when you moved a page to a new title that is a redirect with no
> other history, the history would move over and the first page would become
> a redirect.
>
> Recently I noticed that this results in *deleting* the target page first,
> i.e. a deletion log is created. It is interesting that users without delete
> right (i.e. not sysop) can also do this and generate deletion logs.
>
> Is this a new change? I cannot backtrack it in code. I am not sure if
> letting non-deleters generating delete logs is a good idea.
>
> Huji

Re: Page move results in deletion

Bartosz Dziewoński
The logging is new: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/225284/