[MediaWiki-l] Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Heiya,

this is painful for me.

There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:

"http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"

When I edit I have:

"http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"

To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]

And in "LocalSettings.php":

$wgScriptPath = "/w";
$wgScriptExtension = ".php";
$wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
$wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference

Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
up in an indefinite redirect loop.

This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.

Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
my first wiki.

Thanks and cheers

Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

John Doe-27
at fist glance it looks like your web server is mangling the encoding.

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:11 PM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heiya,
>
> this is painful for me.
>
> There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:
>
> "http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"
>
> When I edit I have:
>
> "http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"
>
> To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
> RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>
> And in "LocalSettings.php":
>
> $wgScriptPath = "/w";
> $wgScriptExtension = ".php";
> $wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
> $wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference
>
> Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
> special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
> up in an indefinite redirect loop.
>
> This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.
>
> Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
> my first wiki.
>
> Thanks and cheers
>
> Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
I guess you might very well be right. Is there an Apache setting which
controls such a mess? Needless to say that this is shared hosing.

Am 31.03.2016 um 20:15 schrieb John:

> at fist glance it looks like your web server is mangling the encoding.
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:11 PM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Heiya,
>>
>> this is painful for me.
>>
>> There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:
>>
>> "http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"
>>
>> When I edit I have:
>>
>> "http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"
>>
>> To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>> RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>>
>> And in "LocalSettings.php":
>>
>> $wgScriptPath = "/w";
>> $wgScriptExtension = ".php";
>> $wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
>> $wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference
>>
>> Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
>> special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
>> up in an indefinite redirect loop.
>>
>> This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.
>>
>> Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
>> my first wiki.
>>
>> Thanks and cheers
>>
>> Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

Daniel Friesen-2
This sounds very similar to another bug where IIS users get infinite
redirect loops in 1.26.

Someone tried to 'fix' another bug by introducing a new normalizing
redirect to MediaWiki in 1.26.

But it's starting to look like enough attention was not paid to the
"edge" cases of web servers an international text other than the narrow
subset this change was tested with.

Which IMHO is not the web server's fault, because this http->server->php
area the normalization is treading in is NOT a standardized thing one
should expect certain forms of normalization.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/219446/
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127734

On 2016-03-31 11:11 AM, kghbln wrote:

> Heiya,
>
> this is painful for me.
>
> There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:
>
> "http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"
>
> When I edit I have:
>
> "http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"
>
> To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
> RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>
> And in "LocalSettings.php":
>
> $wgScriptPath = "/w";
> $wgScriptExtension = ".php";
> $wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
> $wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference
>
> Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
> special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
> up in an indefinite redirect loop.
>
> This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.
>
> Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
> my first wiki.
>
> Thanks and cheers
>
> Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Heiya Daniel,

thank you for your insight and assessment of the situation. While I
myself cannot do such an elaborate analysis as in [1] I can now confirm
that pulling MW 1.26.2 in favour of MW 1.25.5 got me a fully accessible
wiki. Same "LocalSettings.php" and same RewriteRules. Thus I can confirm
that there is indeed something in the water.

I will be on phabricator regarding this.

Cheers and thanks again!

Cheers Karsten

Am 31.03.2016 um 20:42 schrieb Daniel Friesen:

> This sounds very similar to another bug where IIS users get infinite
> redirect loops in 1.26.
>
> Someone tried to 'fix' another bug by introducing a new normalizing
> redirect to MediaWiki in 1.26.
>
> But it's starting to look like enough attention was not paid to the
> "edge" cases of web servers an international text other than the narrow
> subset this change was tested with.
>
> Which IMHO is not the web server's fault, because this http->server->php
> area the normalization is treading in is NOT a standardized thing one
> should expect certain forms of normalization.
>
> [0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/219446/
> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127734
>
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]
>
> On 2016-03-31 11:11 AM, kghbln wrote:
>> Heiya,
>>
>> this is painful for me.
>>
>> There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:
>>
>> "http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"
>>
>> When I edit I have:
>>
>> "http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"
>>
>> To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>> RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>>
>> And in "LocalSettings.php":
>>
>> $wgScriptPath = "/w";
>> $wgScriptExtension = ".php";
>> $wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
>> $wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference
>>
>> Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
>> special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
>> up in an indefinite redirect loop.
>>
>> This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.
>>
>> Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
>> my first wiki.
>>
>> Thanks and cheers
>>
>> Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln

As it turns out the browsers (Fx, Ch, O, Wb, etc. are decoding %C3 to
%c3 instead of just sending %C3.

Some people reported that setting "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in Apache
and "default_charset = "UTF-8" in PHP should do and did the trick but
this particular environment is still resting.

Any other ideas on how to mitigate this somehow?

Am 31.03.2016 um 23:56 schrieb kghbln:

> Heiya Daniel,
>
> thank you for your insight and assessment of the situation. While I
> myself cannot do such an elaborate analysis as in [1] I can now confirm
> that pulling MW 1.26.2 in favour of MW 1.25.5 got me a fully accessible
> wiki. Same "LocalSettings.php" and same RewriteRules. Thus I can confirm
> that there is indeed something in the water.
>
> I will be on phabricator regarding this.
>
> Cheers and thanks again!
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> Am 31.03.2016 um 20:42 schrieb Daniel Friesen:
>> This sounds very similar to another bug where IIS users get infinite
>> redirect loops in 1.26.
>>
>> Someone tried to 'fix' another bug by introducing a new normalizing
>> redirect to MediaWiki in 1.26.
>>
>> But it's starting to look like enough attention was not paid to the
>> "edge" cases of web servers an international text other than the narrow
>> subset this change was tested with.
>>
>> Which IMHO is not the web server's fault, because this http->server->php
>> area the normalization is treading in is NOT a standardized thing one
>> should expect certain forms of normalization.
>>
>> [0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/219446/
>> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127734
>>
>> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]
>>
>> On 2016-03-31 11:11 AM, kghbln wrote:
>>> Heiya,
>>>
>>> this is painful for me.
>>>
>>> There is a wiki accessible with the following logic:
>>>
>>> "http://example.com/wiki/Main_Page"
>>>
>>> When I edit I have:
>>>
>>> "http://example.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page&action=edit"
>>>
>>> To get this magic running I have the following RewriteRules:
>>>
>>> RewriteEngine On
>>> RewriteRule ^/?wiki(/.*)?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>>> RewriteRule ^/?$ %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/w/index.php [L]
>>>
>>> And in "LocalSettings.php":
>>>
>>> $wgScriptPath = "/w";
>>> $wgScriptExtension = ".php";
>>> $wgArticlePath = "/wiki/$1";
>>> $wgUsePathInfo = true; // true or false does not make a difference
>>>
>>> Everything is cool until I dare to try accessing a page containing a
>>> special character, e.g. "http://example.com/wiki/So_ein_Ärger" and end
>>> up in an indefinite redirect loop.
>>>
>>> This wiki is a MW 1.26.2.
>>>
>>> Any hint out there? Never encountered anything similar. Admittedly not
>>> my first wiki.
>>>
>>> Thanks and cheers
>>>
>>> Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

Jonathan Aquilina
Did you restart apache? usually those kind of changes need a web server
restart.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:27 AM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As it turns out the browsers (Fx, Ch, O, Wb, etc. are decoding %C3 to
> %c3 instead of just sending %C3.
>
> Some people reported that setting "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in Apache
> and "default_charset = "UTF-8" in PHP should do and did the trick but
> this particular environment is still resting.
>
> Any other ideas on how to mitigate this somehow?

> [0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T131414
>
> Am 31.03.2016 um 23:56 schrieb kghbln:
> > Heiya Daniel,
> >
> > thank you for your insight and assessment of the situation. While I
> > myself cannot do such an elaborate analysis as in [1] I can now confirm
> > that pulling MW 1.26.2 in favour of MW 1.25.5 got me a fully accessible
> > wiki. Same "LocalSettings.php" and same RewriteRules. Thus I can confirm
> > that there is indeed something in the water.
> >
> > I will be on phabricator regarding this.
> >
> > Cheers and thanks again!
> >
> > Cheers Karsten
> >
> > Am 31.03.2016 um 20:42 schrieb Daniel Friesen:
> >> This sounds very similar to another bug where IIS users get infinite
> >> redirect loops in 1.26.
> >>
> >> Someone tried to 'fix' another bug by introducing a new normalizing
> >> redirect to MediaWiki in 1.26.
> >>
> >> But it's starting to look like enough attention was not paid to the
> >> "edge" cases of web servers an international text other than the narrow
> >> subset this change was tested with.
> >>
> >> Which IMHO is not the web server's fault, because this http->server->php
> >> area the normalization is treading in is NOT a standardized thing one
> >> should expect certain forms of normalization.
> >>
> >> [0] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/219446/
> >> [1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127734
> >>
> >> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://danielfriesen.name/]

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Yes, so there must be something else in the water.

Cheers Karsten

Am 07.06.2016 um 11:52 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:

> Did you restart apache? usually those kind of changes need a web server
> restart.
>
> Jonathan Aquilina
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:27 AM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> As it turns out the browsers (Fx, Ch, O, Wb, etc. are decoding %C3 to
>> %c3 instead of just sending %C3.
>>
>> Some people reported that setting "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in Apache
>> and "default_charset = "UTF-8" in PHP should do and did the trick but
>> this particular environment is still resting.
>>
>> Any other ideas on how to mitigate this somehow?

>> [0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T131414
>>
>> Am 31.03.2016 um 23:56 schrieb kghbln:
>>> Heiya Daniel,
>>>
>>> thank you for your insight and assessment of the situation. While I
>>> myself cannot do such an elaborate analysis as in [1] I can now confirm
>>> that pulling MW 1.26.2 in favour of MW 1.25.5 got me a fully accessible
>>> wiki. Same "LocalSettings.php" and same RewriteRules. Thus I can confirm
>>> that there is indeed something in the water.
>>>
>>> I will be on phabricator regarding this.
>>>
>>> Cheers and thanks again!
>>>
>>> Cheers Karsten

Re: Painful Short-URL

Ad Strack van Schijndel
Hi Karsten,

The big question of course is why at all you are fishing in this water ...

Why do you use this construction?

By the way: I saw your message about the SMWCon, thanks for that and I'll be there!

Ad

> Op 7 jun. 2016, om 21:14 heeft kghbln <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Yes, so there must be something else in the water.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> Am 07.06.2016 um 11:52 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
>> Did you restart apache? usually those kind of changes need a web server
>> restart.
>>
>> Jonathan Aquilina
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:27 AM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> As it turns out the browsers (Fx, Ch, O, Wb, etc. are decoding %C3 to
>>> %c3 instead of just sending %C3.
>>>
>>> Some people reported that setting "AddDefaultCharset UTF-8" in Apache
>>> and "default_charset = "UTF-8" in PHP should do and did the trick but
>>> this particular environment is still resting.
>>>
>>> Any other ideas on how to mitigate this somehow?

>>> [0] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T131414

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Hi Ad,

I guess it is a standard procedure to have Short-URL supporting
multibyte characters when using MediaWiki. Using this feature without
having to do a backflip in some environments will be nice. Starting with
MW 1.26+ there are issues and I currently do not know how I should do my
backflip.

Cheers Karsten

PS See ya!

Am 08.06.2016 um 08:52 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:

> Hi Karsten,
>
> The big question of course is why at all you are fishing in this water ...
>
> Why do you use this construction?
>
> By the way: I saw your message about the SMWCon, thanks for that and I'll be there!
>
> Ad
>

>> Op 7 jun. 2016, om 21:14 heeft kghbln <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Yes, so there must be something else in the water.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> Am 07.06.2016 um 11:52 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
>>> Did you restart apache? usually those kind of changes need a web server
>>> restart.
>>>
>>> Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Painful Short-URL

Jonathan Aquilina
Have you tried enabling mod_rewrite if you are on apache and setting up
some rewrite rules in .htaccess?

Jonathan Aquilina

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ad,
>
> I guess it is a standard procedure to have Short-URL supporting
> multibyte characters when using MediaWiki. Using this feature without
> having to do a backflip in some environments will be nice. Starting with
> MW 1.26+ there are issues and I currently do not know how I should do my
> backflip.
>
> Cheers Karsten
>
> PS See ya!
>
> Am 08.06.2016 um 08:52 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:
> > Hi Karsten,
> >
> > The big question of course is why at all you are fishing in this water
> >
> > Why do you use this construction?
> >
> > By the way: I saw your message about the SMWCon, thanks for that and
> I'll be there!
> >
> > Ad
> >

> >> Op 7 jun. 2016, om 21:14 heeft kghbln <[hidden email]> het
> volgende geschreven:
> >>
> >> Yes, so there must be something else in the water.
> >>
> >> Cheers Karsten

> confirm
> accessible
> confirm

> narrow

> http->server->php
> one

> http://danielfriesen.name/]

> and end

> not

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Heiya Ad,

still need to add your name on the wiki if you would like to. :)

Cheers Karsten

Am 08.06.2016 um 08:52 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:

> Hi Karsten,
>
> The big question of course is why at all you are fishing in this water ...
>
> Why do you use this construction?
>
> By the way: I saw your message about the SMWCon, thanks for that and I'll be there!
>
> Ad
>

>> Op 7 jun. 2016, om 21:14 heeft kghbln <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Yes, so there must be something else in the water.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> Am 07.06.2016 um 11:52 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
>>> Did you restart apache? usually those kind of changes need a web server
>>> restart.
>>>
>>> Jonathan Aquilina

Re: Painful Short-URL

kghbln
Heiya Jonathan,

yeah, actually the rewriting stuff is done in the virtualhost
configuration and works. It's just these b... umlauts and stuff ... ;)

I will think of something else ... Would not like to change the provider
but in the end.

Cheers Karsten

Am 08.06.2016 um 13:23 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:

> Have you tried enabling mod_rewrite if you are on apache and setting up
> some rewrite rules in .htaccess?
>
> Jonathan Aquilina
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:43 AM, kghbln <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ad,
>>
>> I guess it is a standard procedure to have Short-URL supporting
>> multibyte characters when using MediaWiki. Using this feature without
>> having to do a backflip in some environments will be nice. Starting with
>> MW 1.26+ there are issues and I currently do not know how I should do my
>> backflip.
>>
>> Cheers Karsten
>>
>> PS See ya!
>>
>> Am 08.06.2016 um 08:52 schrieb Ad Strack van Schijndel:
>>> Hi Karsten,
>>>
>>> The big question of course is why at all you are fishing in this water
>>>
>>> Why do you use this construction?
>>>
>>> By the way: I saw your message about the SMWCon, thanks for that and
>> I'll be there!
>>>
>>> Ad

>> volgende geschreven:

>> confirm
>> accessible
>> confirm

>> narrow

>> http->server->php
>> one

>> http://danielfriesen.name/]

>> and end

>> not

Re: Painful Short-URL

Jan Steinman-2
> From: Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]>
>
> Have you tried enabling mod_rewrite if you are on apache and setting up
> some rewrite rules in .htaccess?
>
> Jonathan Aquilina

This is what I use:

        <IfModule mod_alias.c>
                Alias "/wiki/stylesheets" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/stylesheets"
                Alias "/wiki/style" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/style"
                Alias "/wiki/images" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/images"
                Alias "/wiki/skins" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/skins"
                Alias "/wiki/redirect.php" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/redirect.php"
                Alias "/wiki/textvc.php" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/textvc.php"
                Alias "/wiki/index.php" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/index.php"
                Alias "/wiki" "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/index.php”
        </IfModule>

:::: The widely recited rhetoric that Canada must continue its de facto energy strategy of liquidating its remaining non-renewable resources as fast as possible to maintain the economy has no credibility. -- David Hughes <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=David+Hughes>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::

Re: Painful Short-URL

Jonathan Aquilina
not sure if alias's would work for this im only familiar with mod rewrite

Jonathan Aquilina

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Jan Steinman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Have you tried enabling mod_rewrite if you are on apache and setting up
> > some rewrite rules in .htaccess?
> >
> > Jonathan Aquilina
>
> This is what I use:
>
>         <IfModule mod_alias.c>
>                 Alias "/wiki/stylesheets"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/stylesheets"
>                 Alias "/wiki/style"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/style"
>                 Alias "/wiki/images"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/images"
>                 Alias "/wiki/skins"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/skins"
>                 Alias "/wiki/redirect.php"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/redirect.php"
>                 Alias "/wiki/textvc.php"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/textvc.php"
>                 Alias "/wiki/index.php"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/index.php"
>                 Alias "/wiki"
> "/Library/WebServer/EcoReality/wiki/index.php”
>         </IfModule>
>
> :::: The widely recited rhetoric that Canada must continue its de facto
> energy strategy of liquidating its remaining non-renewable resources as
> fast as possible to maintain the economy has no credibility. -- David
> Hughes <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=David+Hughes>
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::

Re: Painful Short-URL

Jonathan Aquilina
for the rewrite rules you can also put them in .htaccess that is how
wordpress does things.

Jonathan Aquilina