[MediaWiki-l] Percolate: Python scripts & modules to create browsable auto-updated guides onwiki

[MediaWiki-l] Percolate: Python scripts & modules to create browsable auto-updated guides onwiki

Sumana Harihareswara-2
Percolate is a system of Python scripts and modules for working with
bot-updated templates, built by WMF's grantmaking department, but reusable.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grantmaking_and_Programs/Learning_%26_Evaluation_portal/Surfacing_activity

"Percolate provides a relatively simple and robust way of replicating
some of the functionality that closed-source social software (like
Facebook and Quora) use to surface relevant content and recent activity
without sacrificing the flexibility that makes MediaWiki great. It does
this through profiles and views..."

(found via the monthly report:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Report,_July_2013#Individual_Engagement_Grants
)
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: Percolate: Python scripts & modules to create browsable auto-updated guides onwiki

WJhonson
Could someone put this in third-grade English?
Cause I don't understand what this does

Re: Percolate: Python scripts & modules to create browsable auto-updated guides onwiki

Yury Katkov
It seems like a client-side bot-powered Semantic MediaWiki. If I
understand correctly it gather the data from across the website and
create its visual representations.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone put this in third-grade English?
> Cause I don't understand what this does

I think it would help, would the authors not use so much jargon in the descriptions.

I still only have the fuzziest notion what "surfacing" might mean.

It seems like a client-side bot-powered Semantic MediaWiki. If I
understand correctly it gather the data from across the website and
create its visual representations.
-----
Yury Katkov, WikiVote

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone put this in third-grade English?
> Cause I don't understand what this does

Chad
On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Wjhonson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it would help, would the authors not use so much jargon in the
> descriptions.
>
> I still only have the fuzziest notion what "surfacing" might mean.

"Surfacing" is a silly buzzword in business/technology these days.

It roughly means "bring up" or "make clear."

It makes me cringe whenever I see it.

-Chad

Re: Percolate: Python scripts & modules to create browsable auto-updated guides onwiki

WJhonson
Maybe in practice for this particular thread it might mean uh.... the tool tip type popup gives you an overview of the linked article?
I really don't know.  I'm just guessing.  Class ? Class ?