[MediaWiki-l] Permissions & ownership: & maintenance schedules:

[MediaWiki-l] Permissions & ownership: & maintenance schedules:

John Foster
I want to know if there is a "suggested " set of ownership & permissions
for a mediawiki install>
I currently have the site running on linux server: basic LAMP; installed
& running ( not correctly) in /vat/www/mywiki. I have been having a
great number of errors in uploading images as well as having
instantCommons images thumbnails created. Just want to make sure that I
have it set up correctly.

Also are the maintenance scheduled scripts supposed to run
automatically. I have been doing a lot of upgrading & the script
runJobs.php seems to require manually running it. Is that correct.
Mediawiki 1.22.5.
Thanks
john

[MediaWiki-l] Mediawiki extensions and widget extensions

Shirley Hicks
Good morning everyone,

Am updating a makerspace mediawiki installation.
Our ISP offers support up to version 1.19.11 (which is what I've updated to. I'm waiting for an answer regarding supporting more recent versions)

I would like to add functions in the following areas:

Context senstive sidebar menus (such as seen on the FreesideAtlanta wiki (https://wiki.freesideatlanta.org/fs/Classes)
PDF display in-line on the wiki page
Mobile-friendly display (responsive)
Logged-in-editor-only viewing of some page categories.
Consistent page footers and headers.
Some additonal tabs across the top of the page, with specific page categories.

Any recommendations? Am still working my way through the (many) Extensions, but thought that asking
the list for their collected wisdom could shorten the process.

In addition, what is the current status on blocking email bots on wiki pages?
Is that blocked within the installation, or should users munge their email addresses?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for page specific encryption? We have some
sensitive information that it would be useful to have available via the wiki, but we
are not currently using https for a secure link. Just starting to explore our options
in this area. (group server at the makerspace is going live shortly; we _can_
deploy our own web server, but quite frankly, our ISP has faster service)

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Have been subscribed to the list
for over a year, although I've spent most of the time lurking.

Shirley Hicks
Board member-at-large
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL

Email: [hidden email]
www.redmountainmakers.org
Home email: [hidden email]

Re: Mediawiki extensions and widget extensions

chris tharp-2
Hi Shirley

My recommendations are:

1.Re-skin using the Foreground skin. The Foreground skin is based on the Foundation Framework, which is basically a whole set of pre-packaged css to make page design faster and more responsive. It makes it very, very easy to add columns per page and have those columns display differently based on the device seeing them.

2. Standard way to display PDFs inline would be the PDFHander. Another way would be to use the GoogleViewer widget from either the Widgets or Widgetframework extensions and in the template use the {{filepath: }} function. Example from the Widgetframework extension:

Template:

{{GoogleViewer:url={{filepath:{{{PDF NAME}}} }} }}

Template used:

{{Name of Template
|PDF NAME=
}}

If you're using Semantic Mediawiki and edit via Semantic Forms you can add the PDF right in the page and the user sees none of this. This method also works to show Microsoft Word Docs, which is why I went with this method.

3.Mediawiki is very hard to limit access, but try extension: Lockdown. I combined it with SemanticACL, which is mostly likely the least known extension for write and visibility access control, but I find it to be highly effective.

Or if you just need to hide certain categories just write __HIDDENCAT__ in the category page and it won't show up in the list of categories on the page being edited.

4.Admin Links, I think is the easiest extension for editing the side bar(or the top bar if you're using the Foreground skin).

5. You can define your own Navigation Bar in the Mediawiki Common.css, but that's a pain. For HeaderTabs you can try extension:HeaderTabs. But the build in HeaderTabs in the Foreground are the best HeaderTabs I've seen in the Mediawiki Universe.

Additionally in the Foreground Skin you can create Tabs like a Navigation Bar.

Anyways those are my quick suggestions.

Chris Tharp

Sent from my iPad

On May 10, 2014, at 5:19 AM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>
> Am updating a makerspace mediawiki installation.
> Our ISP offers support up to version 1.19.11 (which is what I've updated to. I'm waiting for an answer regarding supporting more recent versions)
>
> I would like to add functions in the following areas:
>
> Context senstive sidebar menus (such as seen on the FreesideAtlanta wiki (https://wiki.freesideatlanta.org/fs/Classes)
> PDF display in-line on the wiki page
> Mobile-friendly display (responsive)
> Logged-in-editor-only viewing of some page categories.
> Consistent page footers and headers.
> Some additonal tabs across the top of the page, with specific page categories.
>
> Any recommendations? Am still working my way through the (many) Extensions, but thought that asking
> the list for their collected wisdom could shorten the process.
>
> In addition, what is the current status on blocking email bots on wiki pages?
> Is that blocked within the installation, or should users munge their email addresses?
>
> Also, does anyone have recommendations for page specific encryption? We have some
> sensitive information that it would be useful to have available via the wiki, but we
> are not currently using https for a secure link. Just starting to explore our options
> in this area. (group server at the makerspace is going live shortly; we _can_
> deploy our own web server, but quite frankly, our ISP has faster service)
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice offered. Have been subscribed to the list
> for over a year, although I've spent most of the time lurking.
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Board member-at-large
> Red Mountain Makers
> Birmingham, AL
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> www.redmountainmakers.org
> Home email: [hidden email]

Re: Mediawiki extensions and widget extensions

Shirley Hicks
Thanks for those suggestions, Chris. I'm drilling down through them, one by one.

A further question - has anyone modified existing skins using child themes?
Is this a practical approach with the MediaWiki skins?

-- Shirley Hicks

Daniel Friesen-2
On 2014-05-15, 1:05 PM, Shirley Hicks wrote:
> A further question - has anyone modified existing skins using child themes?
> Is this a practical approach with the MediaWiki skins?
>
> -- Shirley Hicks
This is the base technique for creating a child/sub-skin that just adds
some additional CSS.
http://blog.redwerks.org/2012/02/28/mediawiki-subskin-tutorial/

If you have a bit of understanding how the skinning system works that
can be expanded to support some other tweaks.

Re: Mediawiki extensions and widget extensions

chris tharp-2
Shirley,

One alternative approach to re-skinning if you just need minor tweets to
the CSS for different pages is to use this Extension:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CSS