[MediaWiki-l] Printing an entire wiki / entire namespace

[MediaWiki-l] Printing an entire wiki / entire namespace

Daniel Clark
I'd like to print an entire wiki / entire namespace for archival purposes -
I do some work for a small co-op nonprofit; it's unclear if there will be
people around in say 2-42 years from now who will be keeping up their
MediaWiki, but it has written documents from 40 years ago that people often
enjoy looking at for historical interest, and sometimes even for functional
reasons.

Keep in mind this MediaWiki has hundreds and hundreds of pages, so anything
that requires selecting a lot of stuff in a clunky way doesn't really work.

The closest thing I've found is linked to below - I actually used this with
success ~2009 with a older MediaWiki version (on 1.19.2 now) - but it
hasn't been updated against both the extension itself and more recent
versions of MediaWiki.

Original: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfBook
Patch: http://www.mediawiki
.org/wiki/Extension_talk:PdfBook#Whole_Namespace_Export

Does anyone know of something similar that works against 1.19.x? I've tried
all the obvious candidates, but they don't seem to support this use case.

If not, anyone feel like trying to get the above to work? I'm guessing it
wouldn't be too hard for someone with PHP clue - it's 57 lines, but I think
all but around 8 of them are just cut-and-paste from
another similar function that still exists in the newer PdfBook version.

Thanks for any help,
-Danny

Re: Printing an entire wiki / entire namespace

WJhonson
Does it have to be an extension?  And does it have to print it in PDF format?

Re: Printing an entire wiki / entire namespace

Benjamin Lees
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Daniel Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to print an entire wiki / entire namespace for archival purposes -
> I do some work for a small co-op nonprofit; it's unclear if there will be
> people around in say 2-42 years from now who will be keeping up their
> MediaWiki, but it has written documents from 40 years ago that people often
> enjoy looking at for historical interest, and sometimes even for functional
> reasons.

Don't forget to make database/XML/HTML dumps too.  Admittedly, your
organization might not manage to retain them for 40 years, but if it does,
someone will still be able to extract the data from them even if MediaWiki
is long gone. :-)

Anyway, I got that code working, at least superficially.  I just had to
change a Namespace:: call to MWNamespace:: and add a missing bracket.  I've
updated the code on the talk page.