[MediaWiki-l] Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

[MediaWiki-l] Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

Brian Wolff
Currently https://lists.wikimedia.org/robots.txt bans indexing the
public archives of this list (at
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/ )

Appearently this happened back in 2005 due to some people complaining
about their posts on some lists (not neccesarily this one) being at
the top of google.

I think its kind of rediculous the tech support list for mediawiki not
indexable by google*. The first step for anyone trying to solve their
problem should be to google it but yet we don't let google show
results from this list.

Its my understanding that if a list want to be indexed by google, that
the config would be changed for lists that request it.

Thus, I would like to formerly propose that mediawiki-l be allowed to
be indexed by google et al.

Thoughts? Objections?

--
Brian

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

John Foster-2
Seems like it would assist in eliminating duplicate requests for
assistance. I was actually unaware that this list was not indexed. Thanks>

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently https://lists.wikimedia.org/robots.txt bans indexing the
> public archives of this list (at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/ )
>
> Appearently this happened back in 2005 due to some people complaining
> about their posts on some lists (not neccesarily this one) being at
> the top of google.
>
> I think its kind of rediculous the tech support list for mediawiki not
> indexable by google*. The first step for anyone trying to solve their
> problem should be to google it but yet we don't let google show
> results from this list.
>
> Its my understanding that if a list want to be indexed by google, that
> the config would be changed for lists that request it.
>
> Thus, I would like to formerly propose that mediawiki-l be allowed to
> be indexed by google et al.
>
> Thoughts? Objections?
>
> --
> Brian

John Foster

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

For this list, it's an obviously good idea. It's already search engine
indexed offsite, there's no good reason not to have our own archive do the
same.

- d.

On 28 April 2018 at 18:51, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently https://lists.wikimedia.org/robots.txt bans indexing the
> public archives of this list (at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/ )
>
> Appearently this happened back in 2005 due to some people complaining
> about their posts on some lists (not neccesarily this one) being at
> the top of google.
>
> I think its kind of rediculous the tech support list for mediawiki not
> indexable by google*. The first step for anyone trying to solve their
> problem should be to google it but yet we don't let google show
> results from this list.
>
> Its my understanding that if a list want to be indexed by google, that
> the config would be changed for lists that request it.
>
> Thus, I would like to formerly propose that mediawiki-l be allowed to
> be indexed by google et al.
>
> Thoughts? Objections?
>
> --
> Brian

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

Jim Hu-2
IIRC, at some point in the past people objected to bots harvesting their email addresses from a publicly indexed version.

Not saying that’s a good reason, but that’s my recollection.

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 29, 2018, at 9:11 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For this list, it's an obviously good idea. It's already search engine
> indexed offsite, there's no good reason not to have our own archive do the
> same.
>

> - d.
>
>> On 28 April 2018 at 18:51, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Currently https://lists.wikimedia.org/robots.txt bans indexing the
>> public archives of this list (at
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/ )
>>
>> Appearently this happened back in 2005 due to some people complaining
>> about their posts on some lists (not neccesarily this one) being at
>> the top of google.
>>
>> I think its kind of rediculous the tech support list for mediawiki not
>> indexable by google*. The first step for anyone trying to solve their
>> problem should be to google it but yet we don't let google show
>> results from this list.
>>
>> Its my understanding that if a list want to be indexed by google, that
>> the config would be changed for lists that request it.
>>
>> Thus, I would like to formerly propose that mediawiki-l be allowed to
>> be indexed by google et al.
>>
>> Thoughts? Objections?
>>
>> --
>> Brian

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

Greg Rundlett (freephile)
There are ways to combat bots, both on-list with configuration like
*obscure_addresses*, and through the process of archiving. [1]

Decent email providers like GMail do a great job of filtering spam for the
end user. Others like Comcast or Verizon do not.

There are many ways that the end user can help themselves.  For example,
use a list-specific address through plus-addressing or sub-domain
addressing. [2]

[1] http://www.emailarchivestaskforce.org/documents/email-tools/ lists
dozens of archiving systems
[2] https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html

Greg Rundlett
https://eQuality-Tech.com
https://freephile.org

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

Brian Wolff
In any case, I highly doubt spam harvesters follow robots.txt

--
brian

On Sunday, April 29, 2018, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There are ways to combat bots, both on-list with configuration like
> *obscure_addresses*, and through the process of archiving. [1]
>
> Decent email providers like GMail do a great job of filtering spam for the
> end user. Others like Comcast or Verizon do not.
>
> There are many ways that the end user can help themselves.  For example,
> use a list-specific address through plus-addressing or sub-domain
> addressing. [2]
>
> [1] http://www.emailarchivestaskforce.org/documents/email-tools/ lists
> dozens of archiving systems
> [2] https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/addressing.html
>

> Greg Rundlett
> https://eQuality-Tech.com
> https://freephile.org

Re: Proposal to make this mailing list publically indexable by search engines

G Rundlett

> I fully agree with, and support your proposal.

Search is key

This is done now: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193572