[MediaWiki-l] Public content

Fiorenza Meini
Hi there,
I installed MediaWiki version 1.21.2.
Is it possible to publish content based on category type?
I'd like to have some web pages visible only to autenticated users, and
other for public (without authentication),

Thanks and regards
Fiorenza Meini
--

Fiorenza Meini
Spazio Web S.r.l.

V. Dante Alighieri, 10 - 13900 Biella
Tel.: 015.2431982 - 015.9526066
Fax: 015.2522600
Reg. Imprese, CF e P.I.: 02414430021
Iscr. REA: BI - 188936
Iscr. CCIAA: Biella - 188936
Cap. Soc.: 30.000,00 Euro i.v.

Re: Public content

gerx03
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Preventing_access#Restrict_viewing_of_certain_specific_pages

Mediawiki was designed to use public pages. You cannot set a group of pages
unaccessible by certain users just like that.

The problem is that page content can be accessed in many ways. You can
write an extension (maybe there is already one, I did not check) to block
all of them but I am not even sure that there if a full list of what
features need to be blocked.

Consider this:
- page content can be accessed through api.php
- page can be viewed the normal way
- page content can be viewed by editing the page
- page content can be viewed by checking edit history
- page content can be accessed by exporting the page
- page content can be viewed by including it to a page that the user can
edit

You have to block at least these with an extension, but I am sure more ways
exists to access the data. Again, mw was designed to be public.

2013/10/14 Fiorenza Meini <[hidden email]>

> Hi there,
> I installed MediaWiki version 1.21.2.
> Is it possible to publish content based on category type?
> I'd like to have some web pages visible only to autenticated users, and
> other for public (without authentication),
>
> Thanks and regards
> Fiorenza Meini
> --
>
> Fiorenza Meini
> Spazio Web S.r.l.
>
> V. Dante Alighieri, 10 - 13900 Biella
> Tel.: 015.2431982 - 015.9526066
> Fax: 015.2522600
> Reg. Imprese, CF e P.I.: 02414430021
> Iscr. REA: BI - 188936
> Iscr. CCIAA: Biella - 188936
> Cap. Soc.: 30.000,00 Euro i.v.

Re: Public content

Mark A. Hershberger-2
On 10/14/2013 09:14 AM, Fiorenza Meini wrote:
> Hi there,
> I installed MediaWiki version 1.21.2.
> Is it possible to publish content based on category type?

Yes, put all public information in the main namespace and any private
information in a private namespace.  Use the Lockdown extension
(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lockdown) to restrict access
to the private namespace.

HTH,

Mark.