[MediaWiki-l] Publish Dialog Customization

[MediaWiki-l] Publish Dialog Customization

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Hi everybody,

I am trying to customize the dialog that pops up after pressing the
"Publish" button of the WikiEditor - see attached image.

After searching in some places I thought logical, I tried grepping the
whole "w" folder on the server but it didn't find any instance of the
sentences:

   - (To be translated) Please note that all contributions to Schorenpedia
   may be edited, altered, or removed by anybody with access to it.
   - On the other hand, you can "watch" a page to be notified of any change
   to it and changes can always be reverted if necessary.

Does anybody know where to find those so that I can translate them to
German?

Furthermore, does anybody knows why the {{SITENAME}} magic word isn't
expanded to the name of the website? Do I have to manually set it somewhere?

Kind regards,

Manu

mw_publish_dialog.jpg (89K) Download Attachment

Re: Publish Dialog Customization

Sabine Melnicki-2
Hello Manu,

maybe you know, you can translate system messages via their certain pages in the MediaWiki: namespace. [1]
You find all system messages listed under Special:AllMessages in your wiki.

E.g. under MediaWiki:Copyrightwarning you find parts of the copyright warning to translate.

To find out what system messages are used on a certain page, add “?uselang=qqx” to the URL or “&uselang=qqx” respectively, in case there is already a “?” in the URL. (see my popup output attached).

As for the sitename, the system message is MediaWiki:wikieditor-publish-dialog-title. Your sitename should be configured in LocalSettings.php [2], but that usually happens during installation. Can’t help here, since I have the exact same (wrong) display (but usually use the other button).

Hope that’s a first hint.

—Sabine

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:System_message
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgSitename

> On 2018.10.01, at 14:32, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am trying to customize the dialog that pops up after pressing the
> "Publish" button of the WikiEditor - see attached image.
>
> After searching in some places I thought logical, I tried grepping the
> whole "w" folder on the server but it didn't find any instance of the
> sentences:
>

>   - (To be translated) Please note that all contributions to Schorenpedia
>   may be edited, altered, or removed by anybody with access to it.
>   - On the other hand, you can "watch" a page to be notified of any change
>   to it and changes can always be reverted if necessary.
>

> Does anybody know where to find those so that I can translate them to
> German?
>
> Furthermore, does anybody knows why the magic word isn't
> expanded to the name of the website? Do I have to manually set it somewhere?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Manu
> <mw_publish_dialog.jpg>_______________________________________________
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:

Re: Publish Dialog Customization

Bryan Hilderbrand
Hi Manu,

Yours looks a bit different that mine, but have you tried looking at the
*copyrightwarning* or *copyrightwarning2* system messages
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:System_message>?  They look like this
on my wiki:

*copyrightwarning*
Please note that all contributions to {{SITENAME}} are considered to be
released under the $2 (see $1 for details). If you do not want your writing
to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it
here.<br /> You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or
copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. <strong>Do not
submit copyrighted work without permission!</strong>

*copyrightwarning2*
Please note that all contributions to {{SITENAME}} may be edited, altered,
or removed by other contributors. If you do not want your writing to be
edited mercilessly, then do not submit it here.<br /> You are also
promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public
domain or similar free resource (see $1 for details). <strong>Do not submit
copyrighted work without permission!</strong>

From your screenshot, it looks like the {{SITENAME}} is working correctly
and displaying as "Schorenpedia" or maybe I'm misreading something?
Anyway, I think the sitename is set in LocalSettings.php as $wgSitename (or
possibly $wgMetaNamespace).

Regards,
Bryan

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am trying to customize the dialog that pops up after pressing the
> "Publish" button of the WikiEditor - see attached image.
>
> After searching in some places I thought logical, I tried grepping the
> whole "w" folder on the server but it didn't find any instance of the
> sentences:
>

>    - (To be translated) Please note that all contributions to Schorenpedia
>    may be edited, altered, or removed by anybody with access to it.
>    - On the other hand, you can "watch" a page to be notified of any change
>    to it and changes can always be reverted if necessary.
>

> Does anybody know where to find those so that I can translate them to
> German?
>
> Furthermore, does anybody knows why the {{SITENAME}} magic word isn't
> expanded to the name of the website? Do I have to manually set it
> somewhere?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Manu

Re: Publish Dialog Customization

Bryan Hilderbrand
Hi Manu,

As a quick follow-up.  You should also be able to track down the message by
clicking edit (or edit source) to get to the WikiEditor editor, then
appending "&uselang=qqx" to your URL, then clicking the publish button
(will probably be shown as "(wikieditor-publish-button-publish)" when
viewing the pseudo-language code).

Regards,
Bryan

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Manu,
>
> Yours looks a bit different that mine, but have you tried looking at the
> *copyrightwarning* or *copyrightwarning2* system messages
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:System_message>?  They look like
> this on my wiki:
>
> *copyrightwarning*
> Please note that all contributions to {{SITENAME}} are considered to be
> released under the $2 (see $1 for details). If you do not want your writing
> to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then do not submit it
> here.<br /> You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or
> copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. <strong>Do not
> submit copyrighted work without permission!</strong>
>

> *copyrightwarning2*
> Please note that all contributions to {{SITENAME}} may be edited, altered,
> or removed by other contributors. If you do not want your writing to be
> edited mercilessly, then do not submit it here.<br /> You are also
> promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public
> domain or similar free resource (see $1 for details). <strong>Do not submit
> copyrighted work without permission!</strong>
>

> From your screenshot, it looks like the {{SITENAME}} is working correctly
> and displaying as "Schorenpedia" or maybe I'm misreading something?
> Anyway, I think the sitename is set in LocalSettings.php as $wgSitename (or
> possibly $wgMetaNamespace).
>
> Regards,
> Bryan
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I am trying to customize the dialog that pops up after pressing the
>> "Publish" button of the WikiEditor - see attached image.
>>
>> After searching in some places I thought logical, I tried grepping the
>> whole "w" folder on the server but it didn't find any instance of the
>> sentences:
>>

>>    - (To be translated) Please note that all contributions to Schorenpedia
>>    may be edited, altered, or removed by anybody with access to it.
>>    - On the other hand, you can "watch" a page to be notified of any
>> change
>>    to it and changes can always be reverted if necessary.
>>

>> Does anybody know where to find those so that I can translate them to
>> German?
>>
>> Furthermore, does anybody knows why the {{SITENAME}} magic word isn't
>> expanded to the name of the website? Do I have to manually set it
>> somewhere?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Manu

Re: Publish Dialog Customization

Emanuele D'Arrigo
Hi Bryan, thank you for your help.

I'll try modifying the messages you mention. As they are not exactly the
same as the dialog window I suspect the dialog's strings are stored
somewhere else.

Regarding {{SITENAME}}, indeed within the dialog's second string the
"Schorenpedia" word is clearly a correct substitution. But look at the
dialog's title: there it is left unsubstituted. It's all very puzzling...

Ciao!

Manu

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 00:34, Bryan Hilderbrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I am trying to customize the dialog that pops up after pressing the
> >> "Publish" button of the WikiEditor - see attached image.
> >>
> >> After searching in some places I thought logical, I tried grepping the
> >> whole "w" folder on the server but it didn't find any instance of the
> >> sentences:
> >>

> >>    - (To be translated) Please note that all contributions to
> Schorenpedia
> >>    may be edited, altered, or removed by anybody with access to it.
> >>    - On the other hand, you can "watch" a page to be notified of any
> >> change
> >>    to it and changes can always be reverted if necessary.
> >>

> >> Does anybody know where to find those so that I can translate them to
> >> German?
> >>
> >> Furthermore, does anybody knows why the {{SITENAME}} magic word isn't
> >> expanded to the name of the website? Do I have to manually set it

Him Manu,

Yes, I see that now, the {{SITENAME}} in the title is weird. For the
message, I'd try using "&uselang=qqx".

Regards,
Bryan

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 7:01 AM Emanuele D'Arrigo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. <strong>Do not
> > > submit copyrighted work without permission!</strong>
> > >

> > > *copyrightwarning2*
> > > Please note that all contributions to {{SITENAME}} may be edited,
> > altered,
> > > or removed by other contributors. If you do not want your writing to be
> > > edited mercilessly, then do not submit it here.<br /> You are also
> > > promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public
> > > domain or similar free resource (see $1 for details). <strong>Do not
> > submit
> > > copyrighted work without permission!</strong>
> > >

> > > From your screenshot, it looks like the {{SITENAME}} is working
> correctly
> > > and displaying as "Schorenpedia" or maybe I'm misreading something?
> > > Anyway, I think the sitename is set in LocalSettings.php as $wgSitename

Hi Bryan, thank you so much for your suggestions.

I used &uselang=qqx as you suggested and it worked like a charm: I was able
to find the right message (Copyrightwarning2) and adapt it to our needs.

The missing {{SITENAME}} substitution is indeed strange. I ultimately found
the English and German strings in files in the i18n directory of the
WikiEditor and hardcoded our wiki's name in them. Not ideal but it will
work for our 100 or so users.

Again, thank you!!!

Manu