[MediaWiki-l] Rather than 404 is there an ability for a basic search result on the page too (user experience)

[MediaWiki-l] Rather than 404 is there an ability for a basic search result on the page too (user experience)

Billinghurst
At a wiki where I have a long participation, we are looking at an issue of
bland 404 pages (following mislinks or maybe deleted redirects). The
interest is whether we could look to give the user an enhanced 404 which
tells them that the page doesn't exist, AND give the user a shortened
search result based on their landing url/page title.  I am presuming that
there is some capability to construct such a page, though wondered whether
there is something in the greater wikiverse that someone has already done.
Thanks.

Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Rather than 404 is there an ability for a basic search result on the page too (user experience)

Daniel Friesen-2
Incorporating native 404 handling support into MediaWiki is part of this
RFC:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Entry_point_routing_and_404_handling

For now you can hack a 404 handler into place using the Special404
extension:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Special404

Right now there's no search input integrated directly into the 404 page.

On 2013-11-16 3:32 PM, billinghurst wrote:

> At a wiki where I have a long participation, we are looking at an issue of
> bland 404 pages (following mislinks or maybe deleted redirects). The
> interest is whether we could look to give the user an enhanced 404 which
> tells them that the page doesn't exist, AND give the user a shortened
> search result based on their landing url/page title.  I am presuming that
> there is some capability to construct such a page, though wondered whether
> there is something in the greater wikiverse that someone has already done.
> Thanks.
>
> Regards, Billinghurst

Re: Rather than 404 is there an ability for a basic search result on the page too (user experience)

Federico Leva (Nemo)
As for Wikimedia projects, Magnus' wdsearch can display some sensible
result on red links. See http://magnusmanske.de/wordpress/?p=108 , some
Wikipedia/Wikivoyage wikis should start using it to enhance the
experience of those looking for information in their "local" (but
"poorer") language and encourage translation from existing articles.

Nemo