[MediaWiki-l] Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

[MediaWiki-l] Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

Amanda Quad
Greetings,
I'm looking for some assistance with installing a personal MediaWiki configuration for a site that I want to set up. I've looked through almost all of the predefined hosting services at https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services and have not been successful at finding something that works for me.
I do have a code repository of my preferred configuration settings, extensions, skins, etc. that is in the works at GitHub - my goal is to finalize it by the end of the month.
I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to assist me just with the initial installation of MediaWiki - I can manage just about everything else from there.

Sincerely,Amanda

Re: Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

Srishti Sethi
Hello!

Thanks for reaching out!

I'm wondering what specific issue are you running into with the
installation? And, what is it that you are looking for in the hosting
services that is missing in the services we have listed on MediaWiki. If
you could share more, there might be someone willing to offer help.

Also, to get a faster response and chat with a developer, I recommend
joining #mediawiki, our IRC channel on Freenode.

Cheers,
Srishti

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Amanda Quad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm looking for some assistance with installing a personal MediaWiki
> configuration for a site that I want to set up. I've looked through almost
> all of the predefined hosting services at https://mediawiki.org/wiki/
> Hosting_services and have not been successful at finding something that
> works for me.
> I do have a code repository of my preferred configuration settings,
> extensions, skins, etc. that is in the works at GitHub - my goal is to
> finalize it by the end of the month.
> I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to assist me just
> with the initial installation of MediaWiki - I can manage just about
> everything else from there.
>
> Sincerely,Amanda

Srishti Sethi
Developer Advocate
Technical Collaboration team
Wikimedia Foundation

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:SSethi_(WMF)

Re: Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

Scott MacLeod
Hi, Amanda, Srishti, Gabriel, Petr, Lydia and All,

Thanks for this thread and your questions and responses.

I'm seeking to install MediaWiki for World University and School (which
WUaS donated to Wikidata in October 2015 per Lydia Pintscher) as well, and
began to do so last week, with guidance from Wikimedians.

I received these steps as part of this guidance -

"
1. Get Homebrew from https://brew.sh
2. brew install minikube docker-machine-driver-xhyve kubernetes-cli
3. brew install docker-machine-driver-xhyve
4. minikube start --vm-driver=xhyve --show-libmachine-logs --v=10
--alsologtostderr
"
https://gist.github.com/Pchelolo/333e482559f7025eb253a2643ddb56d3

But I don't know how to do step 4. And this also may also be contingent on
the following.

I was planning on hosting this at worlduniversityandschool.org (WUaS), but
this wiki WUaS project seeks to be in each of all 358 languages in
Wikipedia, as wiki schools for open teaching and learning, so I wonder if
this is sensible. CC WUaS which is CC MIT OpenCourseWare-centric (in its 7
languages) and CC Yale OYC-centric is also planning to create major online
CC OCW universities in each of all ~200 countries' official languages to
offer free online CC OCW university and high school degrees (Bach, Ph.D.,
law, M.D. and I.B high school), so I also wonder how sensible it is to host
MediaWiki at worlduniversityandschool.org with this in mind. I'd welcome
your thinking about this, Srishti and MediaWikans.  (WUaS seeks to be
advertising free, and is also probably seeking a free host).

So, it seems that only Miraheze - https://meta.miraheze.org/wiki/Miraheze -
from these MediaWiki hosting services -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Hosting_services - would possibly be a good
fit, since it's free, is advertising free, allows for one's own domain, and
allows visual editor use upon request.

Per your suggestion (and another friend's at the WMF), I'll also join
the #mediawiki
IRC channel on Freenode.

So how would I begin developing WUaS in MediaWiki further with Minikube?
And would you recommend using WUaS's domain, or Miraheze or another host?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Scott
Scott_WUaS

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Amanda Quad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm looking for some assistance with installing a personal MediaWiki
> configuration for a site that I want to set up. I've looked through almost
> all of the predefined hosting services at https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Hos
> ting_services and have not been successful at finding something that
> works for me.
> I do have a code repository of my preferred configuration settings,
> extensions, skins, etc. that is in the works at GitHub - my goal is to
> finalize it by the end of the month.
> I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to assist me just
> with the initial installation of MediaWiki - I can manage just about
> everything else from there.
>
> Sincerely,Amanda

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President

- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577 <(415)%20480-4577>
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure under applicable federal or state laws.  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify me immediately by email or telephone.

World University and School is sending you this because of your interest in
free, online, higher education. If you don't want to receive these, please
reply with 'unsubscribe' in the body of the email, leaving the subject line
intact. Thank you.

Re: Request for MediaWiki installation assistance

Brian Wolff
Wait what?

Why are you installing mediawiki in a kubernetes cluster on OS X?

If that sort of thing is your jam, by all means do it - but given that you
are asking for help im going to guess its not. In which case why not follow
standard install instructions (e.g. get a debian host somewhere, do:

apt-get install mysql php5 php5-apc apache2

And download/unpack the tarball to the web directory (/var/www/html)

Ultimately you may prefer a hosting solution, but if you want to do it
yourself, id suggest avoid doing things the hard way.
--
brian