[MediaWiki-l] Responsive skins?

rotsee

Hello,
I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu (large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of them address the special pages?
Best regardsLeo Wallentin
_______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46 (0) 735 - 933 543
---
Leo Wallentin
Skype: leo_wallentin
Twitter: @leo_wallentin
Säsongsmat.nu

Re: Responsive skins?

Ingo Malchow
Am Freitag, 11. Januar 2013, 16:14:35 schrieb Leonard Wallentin:
> Hello,
> I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu
> (large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from
> perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't
> looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables
> (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would
> be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like
> that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of
> them address the special pages? Best regardsLeo Wallentin

Hello Leonard,

for KDE we did implement a (mostly) responsive layout for our main wikis. See
e.g. userbase.kde.org
The theme is a customized version of the well known Bootstrap CSS framework
(http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/ ) and ships most necessary parts for
responsiveness.
Special pages don't really introduce a problem as far as i could see. Problems
arise when something outputs a hardcoded pixel value on table cells or when
someone thinks a table with >5 columns is a clever idea :) This does only
count for the content though.
But as far as i can tell, the core mediawiki only produces tables with an
inline value of width=100% at worst, which is fine with most standard grid
based layouts.

Cheerio,
Ingo Malchow
--
(neverendingo)
KDE Community Working Group, KDE User Working Group

Re: Responsive skins?

nakohdo
You might have a look at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Athena

The Athena skin is designed to operate in multiple modes:

    Mobile smart phones
    Tablet devices
    Desktop browsers

jQuery Mobile is another interesting approach: http://jquerymobile.com

hth
Frank

> I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu (large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of them address the special pages?

Re: Responsive skins?

Brion Vibber
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Leonard Wallentin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu<http://xn--ssongsmat-v2a.nu>(large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from
> perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't
> looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables
> (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would
> be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like
> that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of
> them address the special pages?

Generally, the existing special pages should _work_ on a small screen but
some of them will be horribly ugly like watchlist, recentchanges, history
view, etc.

We're starting to do small-screen-focused versions of some special pages in
the MobileFrontend extension, which provides a distinct mobile view rather
than a general responsive design. This may or may not be helpful to you. :)

-- brion

Re: Responsive skins?

rotsee

Thanks everyone.As for the special pages, I guess it isn't as bad as I thought, but at least Special:Preferences seem impossible to adjust to small screens without rewriting (doesn't work in the Bootstrap approach either: https://userbase.kde.org/Special:Preferences). Nice wiki though, Ingo!
Athena is very good looking, but seem to be a bit too dependent on Javascript?

The MobileFrontend extension looks really, really interesting as a starting point for a mobile first responsive redesign. Thanks Brion!
/Leo

_______________Leonard [hidden email]@leo_wallentin+46 (0) 735 - 933 543

> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:16:34 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [MediaWiki-l] Responsive skins?
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Leonard Wallentin <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> > I'm running a site with a (fairly) responsive skin at http://säsongsmat.nu<http://xn--ssongsmat-v2a.nu>(large thumbnails and image page images will resize, etc). It's far from
> > perfect, and some parts are more RD than others. One think that I haven't
> > looked into at all, is all the special pages that are build with tables
> > (Special:UserLogin and many more). Making custom versions of them all would
> > be a lot of job, so I'm asking here first: Has anyone done something like
> > that already? I know there are a few responsive skins out there, did any of
> > them address the special pages?
> >

> Generally, the existing special pages should _work_ on a small screen but
> some of them will be horribly ugly like watchlist, recentchanges, history
> view, etc.
>
> We're starting to do small-screen-focused versions of some special pages in
> the MobileFrontend extension, which provides a distinct mobile view rather
> than a general responsive design. This may or may not be helpful to you. :)
>
> -- brion
---
Leo Wallentin
Skype: leo_wallentin