[MediaWiki-l] Reuse of the Internet Archive djvu book reader in Commons

[MediaWiki-l] Reuse of the Internet Archive djvu book reader in Commons

David Cuenca Tudela
The Internet Archive developed a djvu book reader in html/javascript
http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader

It looks like this >>
http://www.archive.org/stream/birdbookillustra00reedrich

There are many websites that are using it, so I was wondering if we could
use it in Commons too?
Would it take much effort to adapt the server side?
https://github.com/openlibrary/bookreader

Cheers,
Micru

Re: Reuse of the Internet Archive djvu book reader in Commons

Brion Vibber
Taking a quick peek...

http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
^ open source, under AGPLv3. License probably ok for embedding, but maybe
not linking directly into MediaWiki. Licensing is hard. :)

However, it doesn't seem to directly support DjVu -- it's a wrapper around
extracted image files and some additional metadata, from what I can see. If
going from a DjVu source file, I assume they're extracting page images
similarly to what we do in our viewer.

I would certainly recommend we take some user interface ideas through, our
multi-paged image view desperately needs improvement!

-- brion

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM, David Cuenca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Internet Archive developed a djvu book reader in html/javascript
> http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
>
> It looks like this >>
> http://www.archive.org/stream/birdbookillustra00reedrich
>
> There are many websites that are using it, so I was wondering if we could
> use it in Commons too?
> Would it take much effort to adapt the server side?
> https://github.com/openlibrary/bookreader
>
> Cheers,
> Micru

Re: Reuse of the Internet Archive djvu book reader in Commons

Magnus Manske-2
There's always
http://tools.wmflabs.org/book2scroll/?lang=en&file=Auerbach-Spinozanovel.djvu&pages=476&startpage=17

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Taking a quick peek...
>
> http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
> ^ open source, under AGPLv3. License probably ok for embedding, but maybe
> not linking directly into MediaWiki. Licensing is hard. :)
>
> However, it doesn't seem to directly support DjVu -- it's a wrapper around
> extracted image files and some additional metadata, from what I can see. If
> going from a DjVu source file, I assume they're extracting page images
> similarly to what we do in our viewer.
>
> I would certainly recommend we take some user interface ideas through, our
> multi-paged image view desperately needs improvement!
>
> -- brion
>

> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM, David Cuenca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The Internet Archive developed a djvu book reader in html/javascript
> > http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
> >
> > It looks like this >>
> > http://www.archive.org/stream/birdbookillustra00reedrich
> >
> > There are many websites that are using it, so I was wondering if we could
> > use it in Commons too?
> > Would it take much effort to adapt the server side?
> > https://github.com/openlibrary/bookreader
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Micru

Re: Reuse of the Internet Archive djvu book reader in Commons

David Cuenca Tudela
@Brion: The incompatibility was only for AGPLv2, but now combining a AGPLv3
work with another that is GPLv3 should be ok:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPLv3#Compatibility_with_the_GPL

@Magnus: Great tool, indeed :) Any chance to have it as a MW extension? :)

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Magnus Manske
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> There's always
>
> http://tools.wmflabs.org/book2scroll/?lang=en&file=Auerbach-Spinozanovel.djvu&pages=476&startpage=17
>

> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Taking a quick peek...
> >
> > http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
> > ^ open source, under AGPLv3. License probably ok for embedding, but maybe
> > not linking directly into MediaWiki. Licensing is hard. :)
> >
> > However, it doesn't seem to directly support DjVu -- it's a wrapper
> around
> > extracted image files and some additional metadata, from what I can see.
> If
> > going from a DjVu source file, I assume they're extracting page images
> > similarly to what we do in our viewer.
> >
> > I would certainly recommend we take some user interface ideas through,
> our
> > multi-paged image view desperately needs improvement!
> >
> > -- brion
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM, David Cuenca <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > The Internet Archive developed a djvu book reader in html/javascript
> > > http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
> > >
> > > It looks like this >>
> > > http://www.archive.org/stream/birdbookillustra00reedrich
> > >
> > > There are many websites that are using it, so I was wondering if we
> could
> > > use it in Commons too?
> > > Would it take much effort to adapt the server side?
> > > https://github.com/openlibrary/bookreader
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non