[MediaWiki-l] Sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out?

[MediaWiki-l] Sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out?

kghbln
Heiya,

is there a sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out to a wiki page like
the privacy policy page?

Currently I add the resprecitve script to the wiki using the PCR GUI
Inserts extension [0] and then I call the script on a page via the
HTMLTags extension [1]. Currently this works somehow but not in 100% of
the cases the opt-out cookie is set. (Sidenote: Obviously the respective
wiki is not publicly editable.)

I am wondering if there is an extension or setup what can do this
better? A specialized extension I am currently not aware of or perhaps
the Widgets extension [2] or ...?

I feel like doing the wrong thing for the right reason.

Help or suggestions much appreciated! I am sure that I am not the only
one in need to do this.

Cheers,

Karsten

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PCR_GUI_Inserts
[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Widgets

Re: Sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out?

Dennis Roczek

<evil>Don't use google, use your own piwiki (or whatever name it has
now</evil>

Dennis ;-)

On 29.05.2018 00:33, [[kgh]] wrote:
> Heiya,
>
> is there a sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out to a wiki page li
ke
> the privacy policy page?
>
> Currently I add the resprecitve script to the wiki using the PCR GUI
> Inserts extension [0] and then I call the script on a page via the
> HTMLTags extension [1]. Currently this works somehow but not in 100% o
> the cases the opt-out cookie is set. (Sidenote: Obviously the respecti
ve

> wiki is not publicly editable.)
>
> I am wondering if there is an extension or setup what can do this
> better? A specialized extension I am currently not aware of or perhaps
> the Widgets extension [2] or ...?
>
> I feel like doing the wrong thing for the right reason.
>
> Help or suggestions much appreciated! I am sure that I am not the only
> one in need to do this.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Karsten
>
> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PCR_GUI_Inserts
> [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HTML_Tags
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Widgets

Re: Sane way to add a GoogleAnalytics Opt-Out?

Tom Hutchison
If you are not sending data to a 3rd party or using analytics for ads. You do not even need to seek consent as long as you are anonymizing ip’s. Everyone seems to forget about two exclusions. Analytics can be viewed as historical data. As long as you’re not doing any third-party tracking - advertising etc. you can view analytics as a functional cookie. Paired with historical data this helps you analyze user interaction with your site, popular pages or problem pages. Functional cookies also cover things like a CDN cookies and consent cookies. Session cookies for users too.

It’s when you start adding social sharing and other functions like video embeds. YouTube has a cookieless domain for embedding. Social sharing is a bit trickier. I took the sledgehammer approach. If a user doesn’t consent to cookies, the script for social sharing which will also add cookies will not execute. Functionality of the site is diminished and the user is informed on privacy policy page as well as cookie policy page. Basically, it checks the user’s cookie consent cookie value and will only execute the script if cookie is set to allow. Vimeo (they set a lot of cookies) widget, I added a cookie consent check in the script of the widget. Run the script if cookies are allowed, don’t show embed if not allowed. I instead show an annoying alert box. Cancel to close box or open cookie settings to allow cookies.

Tom