[MediaWiki-l] Search feature / Change in behaviour

[MediaWiki-l] Search feature / Change in behaviour

kghbln
Heiya,

I have upgraded from 1.23 to 1.27 which was now possible since the
latest release.

After the process I observe a changed behavior regarding the rudimentary
full-text search MediaWiki provides out of the box, i.e. I am not
talking about the Cirrus/Elastica duo available as an extra.

When adding a search term to the search field on MW 1.27 like e.g.
"Lorem ipsum" (note: including the ") than only the page names for the
findings are shown and not the page names and some text extract wrapping
the searched term as MW 1.23 did. When adding just Lorem ipsum (note:
excluding the ") I get the page names and some text extract wrapping the
searched term as I did with 1.23. The results for Lorem ipsum however
are a much worse fit than for "Lorem ipsum" so that's why I am here.

Perhaps I missed some setting I now have to make or perhaps there is
some script I overlooked to get things running. I'd like to get the
wrapping text back. Pointers highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Karsten

Re: Search feature / Change in behaviour

kghbln
Heiya,

it's me again. :) Does somebody at least see the issue. Probably a bug
that should be reported?

Thanks and cheers

Karsten

Am 09.05.2017 um 16:32 schrieb [[kgh]]:

> Heiya,
>
> I have upgraded from 1.23 to 1.27 which was now possible since the
> latest release.
>
> After the process I observe a changed behavior regarding the rudimentary
> full-text search MediaWiki provides out of the box, i.e. I am not
> talking about the Cirrus/Elastica duo available as an extra.
>
> When adding a search term to the search field on MW 1.27 like e.g.
> "Lorem ipsum" (note: including the ") than only the page names for the
> findings are shown and not the page names and some text extract wrapping
> the searched term as MW 1.23 did. When adding just Lorem ipsum (note:
> excluding the ") I get the page names and some text extract wrapping the
> searched term as I did with 1.23. The results for Lorem ipsum however
> are a much worse fit than for "Lorem ipsum" so that's why I am here.
>
> Perhaps I missed some setting I now have to make or perhaps there is
> some script I overlooked to get things running. I'd like to get the
> wrapping text back. Pointers highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your time
>
> Karsten

Re: Search feature / Change in behaviour

Tom Hutchison
I actually think there is a drop in page content results too. Searching for example, pages using a tag <FooBar>text</FooBar> would report content found in x pages. Now search <FooBar> no content in pages found. Search <FooBar no > found on 3 pages but expect 50.

I do want to do more testing. Rebuilding the index seems to be super fast unlike before which would take up to a few minutes to complete.

Tom

> On May 15, 2017, at 10:02 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Heiya,
>
> it's me again. :) Does somebody at least see the issue. Probably a bug
> that should be reported?
>
> Thanks and cheers
>
> Karsten
>

>> Am 09.05.2017 um 16:32 schrieb [[kgh]]:
>> Heiya,
>>
>> I have upgraded from 1.23 to 1.27 which was now possible since the
>> latest release.
>>
>> After the process I observe a changed behavior regarding the rudimentary
>> full-text search MediaWiki provides out of the box, i.e. I am not
>> talking about the Cirrus/Elastica duo available as an extra.
>>
>> When adding a search term to the search field on MW 1.27 like e.g.
>> "Lorem ipsum" (note: including the ") than only the page names for the
>> findings are shown and not the page names and some text extract wrapping
>> the searched term as MW 1.23 did. When adding just Lorem ipsum (note:
>> excluding the ") I get the page names and some text extract wrapping the
>> searched term as I did with 1.23. The results for Lorem ipsum however
>> are a much worse fit than for "Lorem ipsum" so that's why I am here.
>>
>> Perhaps I missed some setting I now have to make or perhaps there is
>> some script I overlooked to get things running. I'd like to get the
>> wrapping text back. Pointers highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks for your time
>>
>> Karsten

Re: Search feature / Change in behaviour

Pine W
Cross-posting this to the Discovery mailing list with hopes that someone
from WMF Discovery can shed some light on this situation.

Pine

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually think there is a drop in page content results too. Searching
> for example, pages using a tag <FooBar>text</FooBar> would report content
> found in x pages. Now search <FooBar> no content in pages found. Search
> <FooBar no > found on 3 pages but expect 50.
>
> I do want to do more testing. Rebuilding the index seems to be super fast
> unlike before which would take up to a few minutes to complete.
>
> Tom
>
> > On May 15, 2017, at 10:02 AM, [[kgh]] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Heiya,
> >
> > it's me again. :) Does somebody at least see the issue. Probably a bug
> > that should be reported?
> >
> > Thanks and cheers
> >
> > Karsten
> >

> >> Am 09.05.2017 um 16:32 schrieb [[kgh]]:
> >> Heiya,
> >>
> >> I have upgraded from 1.23 to 1.27 which was now possible since the
> >> latest release.
> >>
> >> After the process I observe a changed behavior regarding the rudimentary
> >> full-text search MediaWiki provides out of the box, i.e. I am not
> >> talking about the Cirrus/Elastica duo available as an extra.
> >>
> >> When adding a search term to the search field on MW 1.27 like e.g.
> >> "Lorem ipsum" (note: including the ") than only the page names for the
> >> findings are shown and not the page names and some text extract wrapping
> >> the searched term as MW 1.23 did. When adding just Lorem ipsum (note:
> >> excluding the ") I get the page names and some text extract wrapping the
> >> searched term as I did with 1.23. The results for Lorem ipsum however
> >> are a much worse fit than for "Lorem ipsum" so that's why I am here.
> >>
> >> Perhaps I missed some setting I now have to make or perhaps there is
> >> some script I overlooked to get things running. I'd like to get the
> >> wrapping text back. Pointers highly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time
> >>
> >> Karsten

Re: Search feature / Change in behaviour

kghbln
Heiya Pine,

thanks a lot for forwarding my e-mail to discovery. Did not think about
this list. I just subscribed for me to be able staying in the loop on this.

It will be very cool to learn what may cause this problem once people a
back in office. To have a somewhat operational search, even in a
rudimentary form without Cirrus/Elastica will be great. MW 1.23 was
still doing this.

Keeping fingers crossed and thanks a lot again

Cheers

Karsten