[MediaWiki-l] SecurePoll project needs your help

[MediaWiki-l] SecurePoll project needs your help

Huji Lee
Dear all,

SecurePoll is an important extension for the WMF community, yet not a whole
lot of attention has been given to it over the years. I recently became the
owner of the project, and would like to remind you that with the EN WP
ARBCOM elections coming up, it would be great if you could help the
SecurePoll project in the following ways:

1) Review patches: we have a few outstanding patches that address key
issues with SecurPoll. They await reviews, especially by those holding +2
rights. Please spare a moment and review them.

2) Submit patches: we have quiet a few open tasks for which no patch has
been submitted. Please spare a moment on this as well.

For your convenience, here are patches awaiting review [1] and here are
open tasks awaiting a patch. [2]

Sincerely,

Huji

[1]
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:mediawiki/extensions/SecurePoll+status:open
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/xlYokZ6kvoMd/

Re: SecurePoll project needs your help

Jasmine Smith
Would you be able to make SecurePoll more friendly and useable to other wikis that use the extension?

It might be that the more people can use SecurePoll, the more people that contribute towards it's development. It would also prevent the case of 'help us with our thing' when not many people can use it to begin with.

Jasmine.

> On 7 Nov 2016, at 05:28 pm, "Huji Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> SecurePoll is an important extension for the WMF community, yet not a whole
> lot of attention has been given to it over the years. I recently became the
> owner of the project, and would like to remind you that with the EN WP
> ARBCOM elections coming up, it would be great if you could help the
> SecurePoll project in the following ways:
>
> 1) Review patches: we have a few outstanding patches that address key
> issues with SecurPoll. They await reviews, especially by those holding +2
> rights. Please spare a moment and review them.
>
> 2) Submit patches: we have quiet a few open tasks for which no patch has
> been submitted. Please spare a moment on this as well.
>
> For your convenience, here are patches awaiting review [1] and here are
> open tasks awaiting a patch. [2]
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Huji
>
> [1]
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:mediawiki/extensions/SecurePoll+status:open
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/xlYokZ6kvoMd/

Re: SecurePoll project needs your help

Huji Lee
Thanks for the feedback Jasmine. The reason I became involved with
SecurePoll myself was because one of the wikis I am active in (namely, the
Persian Wikipedia) wanted to hold an election and we determined that
SecurePoll would be the right platform to do so.

​But there is so much I can do alone. Effectively, I am the only one
submitting patches right now. It is not acceptable for me to also approve
them (that refutes the whole purpose of code review). I agree with you that
we need to modernize SecurePoll and expand its uses; but we also equally
need people who actually contribute to the code. Hence the creation of this
thread.​

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM, Jasmine Smith <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Would you be able to make SecurePoll more friendly and useable to other
> wikis that use the extension?
>
> It might be that the more people can use SecurePoll, the more people that
> contribute towards it's development. It would also prevent the case of
> 'help us with our thing' when not many people can use it to begin with.
>
> Jasmine.
>
> > On 7 Nov 2016, at 05:28 pm, "Huji Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > SecurePoll is an important extension for the WMF community, yet not a
> whole
> > lot of attention has been given to it over the years. I recently became
> the
> > owner of the project, and would like to remind you that with the EN WP
> > ARBCOM elections coming up, it would be great if you could help the
> > SecurePoll project in the following ways:
> >
> > 1) Review patches: we have a few outstanding patches that address key
> > issues with SecurPoll. They await reviews, especially by those holding +2
> > rights. Please spare a moment and review them.
> >
> > 2) Submit patches: we have quiet a few open tasks for which no patch has
> > been submitted. Please spare a moment on this as well.
> >
> > For your convenience, here are patches awaiting review [1] and here are
> > open tasks awaiting a patch. [2]
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Huji
> >
> > [1]
> > https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:mediawiki/
> extensions/SecurePoll+status:open
> > [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/xlYokZ6kvoMd/

Re: SecurePoll project needs your help

Greg Grossmeier-2
Looping in wikitech-l as well.

<quote name="Huji Lee" date="2016-11-07" time="12:28:09 -0500">

> Dear all,
>
> SecurePoll is an important extension for the WMF community, yet not a whole
> lot of attention has been given to it over the years. I recently became the
> owner of the project, and would like to remind you that with the EN WP
> ARBCOM elections coming up, it would be great if you could help the
> SecurePoll project in the following ways:
>
> 1) Review patches: we have a few outstanding patches that address key
> issues with SecurPoll. They await reviews, especially by those holding +2
> rights. Please spare a moment and review them.
>
> 2) Submit patches: we have quiet a few open tasks for which no patch has
> been submitted. Please spare a moment on this as well.
>
> For your convenience, here are patches awaiting review [1] and here are
> open tasks awaiting a patch. [2]
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Huji
>
> [1]
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:mediawiki/extensions/SecurePoll+status:open
> [2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/search/query/xlYokZ6kvoMd/

| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Release Team Manager            A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |