[MediaWiki-l] Semantic MediaWiki 3.1.0 released

[MediaWiki-l] Semantic MediaWiki 3.1.0 released

kghbln
Hello everyone,

we are happy to announce the immediate availability of the Semantic
MediaWiki 3.1.0 release: [0]. It is a major release bringing a lot of
new features and improvements as well as bug fixes.

## Version highlights

* Support for annotation constraint schemas
* Support for annotation sequence maps
* Support for tracking attachment links
* Improved embedded query updates
* ElasticStore replication monitoring
* General performance improvements

See the release notes [1] for these changes and for much more
information on the many features, enhancements, changes and fixes this
release brings to you.

## Compatibility changes

Semantic MediaWiki 3.1.0 dropped support for PHP 5.6 and lower as well
as MediaWiki 1.30 and lower. See also the compatibility notes [2] for
detailed information.

## Installing and upgrading

After backing up your database just update the version in your
"composer.local.json" file to "~3.1" and run "composer update --no-dev".
Remember to also update your database afterwards by running "update.php"
due to schema changes and new database tables. This is followed by
rebuilding the stored data by running "rebuildData.php". Note that
running the schema update may take quite some time as well as rebuilding
the stored data. If you would like to install Semantic MediaWiki you can
follow the installation instructions: [3].

## Contributors

At this point we would like to thank all people involved for their
incredible work making this release possible:

James Hong Kong, translatewiki.net for the translator community, Jeroen
De Dauw, Karsten Hoffmeyer, DannyS712, Bernhard Krabina, Mark A.
Hershberger, Máté Szabó, Zoran Dori, Alexander Gesinn, Alex Winkler,
Brett Zamir, Clara, Jaider Andrade Ferreira, Morgon Kanter, NIKITA,
Peter Grassberger, Sébastien Beyou, Timo Tijhof, Tisza Gergő

We also encourage your continued participation: [4].

Thank you for using Semantic MediaWiki.

- The SMW development team

[0] https://bit.ly/smw-310tag
[1] https://bit.ly/smw-310
[2] https://bit.ly/smw-310compat
[3] https://bit.ly/smw-310install
[3] https://bit.ly/smw-310engage

--
Karsten / MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki enthusiast / → https://professional.wiki/

[MediaWiki-l] three tips hoped

Jefsey
Hi!
For more than a decade I publish my own working groups, personnal
uses, etc. wikis. I have hundreds of "bliks": I mean a mediawiki
under SQLite + mailman + side services.  Each wiki under SQLite can
be easily transfered to other machines (privare or on line) and
replicated on several local machines (for private use and backup) in
using dropbox. The configuration is set-up with a script creating the
directories, most of them being symbolic links to a main wiki
configuration, one per machine.

This may sound crazy but it works well.  Now, not being a PHP nor SQL
programmer I would need help on three issues:

* what is the command to know the mediawiki version I use?
* on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?
* is there a command I could use (also in a script) to enter
references to pdf or image files I could then click form wikipages.

Thanks a lot for any help.
jfcm

Re: three tips hoped

Brian Wolff
To get the version, the easiest is just looking at special:version.

From a script you could probably do something like

echo 'echo $wgVersion' | php eval.php

If you are in the maintenance directory. Or just grep
includes/DefaultSettings.php

Alternatively you can use the mediawiki api (possibly using curl if from
the command line) e.g.
 https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo

For replicating id suggest special:import and special:export (or the api or
maintenance script equivs)

You can edit pages from script by using edit.php maintenance script (or of
course the api & curl)

--
Brian

For replicating a page  i would s
On Thursday, September 26, 2019, JFC Morfin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> For more than a decade I publish my own working groups, personnal uses,
> etc. wikis. I have hundreds of "bliks": I mean a mediawiki under SQLite +
> mailman + side services.  Each wiki under SQLite can be easily transfered
> to other machines (privare or on line) and replicated on several local
> machines (for private use and backup) in using dropbox. The configuration
> is set-up with a script creating the directories, most of them being
> symbolic links to a main wiki configuration, one per machine.
>
> This may sound crazy but it works well.  Now, not being a PHP nor SQL
> programmer I would need help on three issues:
>
> * what is the command to know the mediawiki version I use?
> * on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to get
> the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way to
> maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated on others
> (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?
> * is there a command I could use (also in a script) to enter references to
> pdf or image files I could then click form wikipages.
>
> Thanks a lot for any help.
> jfcm

Re: three tips hoped

Gregory Rundlett
On Thu, Sep 26, 2019, 8:02 PM JFC Morfin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> For more than a decade I publish my own working groups, personnal
> uses, etc. wikis. I have hundreds of "bliks": I mean a mediawiki
> under SQLite + mailman + side services.  Each wiki under SQLite can
> be easily transfered to other machines (privare or on line) and
> replicated on several local machines (for private use and backup) in
> using dropbox. The configuration is set-up with a script creating the
> directories, most of them being symbolic links to a main wiki
> configuration, one per machine.
>
> This may sound crazy but it works well.  Now, not being a PHP nor SQL
> programmer I would need help on three issues:
>
> * what is the command to know the mediawiki version I use?

Visit the Special:Version page on your wiki.

* on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
> get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
> to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
> on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?

You want the Lingo extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lingo)
and a default database that has the content.

* is there a command I could use (also in a script) to enter
> references to pdf or image files I could then click form wikipages.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. But if you install the PdfHandler
extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler), you'll
have previews of your PDF files.  If you're trying to enter references to
these files from the page editor, then all the editor's I'm aware of
support inserting files.

~ Greg

Re: three tips hoped

Jan Steinman-2
> From: JFC Morfin <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> * on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
> get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
> to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
> on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?

SQLite is not a multi-user database.

You *could* “replicate” it, which means make a copy, but that won’t allow any changes made to be immediately seen by the other wikis.

It’s a bit of learning, but you might consider switching to MySQL, which is fully multi-user, and which will allow instantly shared content, meaning you could set it up so that any of your wikis could change the page, and that change be instantly seen by all the other wikis.

You *could* set up a trigger that will make copies of that page whenever it is changed, but with no PHP experience, it might also take a bit of learning.

From what you’ve said you want, I think switching to a multi-user database might buy you more than patching in some one-page replication scheme.

Jan