[MediaWiki-l] Set MySQL connection to use SSL

[MediaWiki-l] Set MySQL connection to use SSL

cdhgold
In my MW site I'm using MW 1.30 and MySQL 5.7.x

I need to set MW to use SSL for the database connection but am not finding
the right settings in MW documentation ( I may be overlooking)

In LocalSettings.php I have

## Database settings
$wgDBtype = "mysql";
$wgDBserver = "<IP of DB server";
$wgDBname = "<DB_name>";
$wgDBuser = "<DB User Name>";
$wgDBpassword = "<DB password>";
$wgDBflags = DBO_SSL;

This does force it to use SSL as when I make the MySQL database require SSL
site dies and can't connect to database.

I found the docs for $wgDBServer and $wgDBServers but not clear on where /
when to use these

I use a single DB server but it is not the same as the web server

http://xkcd.com/705/

Chris Goldsmith
Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux Geek
(Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

Re: Set MySQL connection to use SSL

Martin Urbanec
Hello there,

as far as I know, MediaWiki do not know about wgDBflags variable so you
cannot use it. But it do know about $wgDBssl. I think that this link may
help you: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgDBssl .

Have a nice day,
Martin

po 18. 12. 2017 v 20:02 odesílatel cdhgold <[hidden email]> napsal:

> In my MW site I'm using MW 1.30 and MySQL 5.7.x
>
> I need to set MW to use SSL for the database connection but am not finding
> the right settings in MW documentation ( I may be overlooking)
>
> In LocalSettings.php I have
>
> ## Database settings
> $wgDBtype = "mysql";
> $wgDBserver = "<IP of DB server";
> $wgDBname = "<DB_name>";
> $wgDBuser = "<DB User Name>";
> $wgDBpassword = "<DB password>";
> $wgDBflags = DBO_SSL;
>
> This does force it to use SSL as when I make the MySQL database require SSL
> site dies and can't connect to database.
>
> I found the docs for $wgDBServer and $wgDBServers but not clear on where /
> when to use these
>
> I use a single DB server but it is not the same as the web server
>
> http://xkcd.com/705/
>
> Chris Goldsmith
> Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux Geek
> (Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

Re: Set MySQL connection to use SSL

Brian Wolff
There is no config variable named $wgDBflags.

Set $wgDBssl = true;

--
Brian

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM, cdhgold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my MW site I'm using MW 1.30 and MySQL 5.7.x
>
> I need to set MW to use SSL for the database connection but am not finding
> the right settings in MW documentation ( I may be overlooking)
>
> In LocalSettings.php I have
>
> ## Database settings
> $wgDBtype = "mysql";
> $wgDBserver = "<IP of DB server";
> $wgDBname = "<DB_name>";
> $wgDBuser = "<DB User Name>";
> $wgDBpassword = "<DB password>";
> $wgDBflags = DBO_SSL;
>
> This does force it to use SSL as when I make the MySQL database require SSL
> site dies and can't connect to database.
>
> I found the docs for $wgDBServer and $wgDBServers but not clear on where /
> when to use these
>
> I use a single DB server but it is not the same as the web server
>
> http://xkcd.com/705/
>
> Chris Goldsmith
> Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux Geek
> (Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

Re: Set MySQL connection to use SSL

cdhgold
that worked great! Thank you!

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Brian Wolff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is no config variable named $wgDBflags.
>
> Set $wgDBssl = true;
>
> --
> Brian
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 7:00 PM, cdhgold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In my MW site I'm using MW 1.30 and MySQL 5.7.x
> >
> > I need to set MW to use SSL for the database connection but am not
> finding
> > the right settings in MW documentation ( I may be overlooking)
> >
> > In LocalSettings.php I have
> >
> > ## Database settings
> > $wgDBtype = "mysql";
> > $wgDBserver = "<IP of DB server";
> > $wgDBname = "<DB_name>";
> > $wgDBuser = "<DB User Name>";
> > $wgDBpassword = "<DB password>";
> > $wgDBflags = DBO_SSL;
> >
> > This does force it to use SSL as when I make the MySQL database require
> SSL
> > site dies and can't connect to database.
> >
> > I found the docs for $wgDBServer and $wgDBServers but not clear on where
> /
> > when to use these
> >
> > I use a single DB server but it is not the same as the web server
> >
> > http://xkcd.com/705/
> >
> > Chris Goldsmith
> > Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux
> Geek
> > (Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

Re: Set MySQL connection to use SSL

cdhgold
that worked great! Thank you!

http://xkcd.com/705/

Chris Goldsmith
Christian, Dad, Husband, Pro-Gun 2nd Amendment supporter, Career Linux Geek
(Fedora/CentOS/Redhat)

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Martin Urbanec <[hidden email]